Frequently Asked Questions

Xycaleth

Sincerely I don't know how to download or install or make it start...but I'd like

It's pretty easy to build.  Just follow the instructions here.  All you basically have to do is install programs, run the batch cmake script.  Open the solution in VS, and change the platform toolset to include xp: 7725.xptarget.png

Build the project.  Move the appropriate dlls to the right places and then run the game.

JKG Developer

• 5 months later...

Ok. I have a question here. What does OpenJK adds over vanilla JA? Server stability or is a Enhance to the gameplay? Does OpenJK add manual blocking or any other features a mod would add or it depends on the different mods BUILD OVER OpenJK, being OpenJK a sort of open vanilla code? For example, I know OJP added some variables that the original game didn't have. I don't know if OpenJK really modifies the gameplay of the game or if it only is some kind of community where the code is free to use to add then specific enhances to the original gameplay.

I would like to know an online web where it is said what OpenJK does, or some place to download the readme without having to download the full OpenJK code.

Ok. I have a question here. What does OpenJK adds over vanilla JA? Server stability or is a Enhance to the gameplay? Does OpenJK add manual blocking or any other features a mod would add or it depends on the different mods BUILD OVER OpenJK, being OpenJK a sort of open vanilla code? For example, I know OJP added some variables that the original game didn't have. I don't know if OpenJK really modifies the gameplay of the game or if it only is some kind of community where the code is free to use to add then specific enhances to the original gameplay.

I would like to know an online web where it is said what OpenJK does, or some place to download the readme without having to download the full OpenJK code.

OpenJK was never meant to add changes to the base game or the gameplay. It focuses more on fixing up what was broken or what never really worked very well.

Hels likes this

@@Hels, outwardly to a user it mainly contains security fixes, bugs fixes, and updates to allow it to work on modern systems and a few enhancements to things like resolution fixes/improvements (eg: can have it fit the current resolution of your desktop, rather then specifying that value manually).  To the normal jka player, there are no changes. 

JKG Developer

@@Hels: You can think of it like a clean code base for mods to be made with too. With better game performance and stableness.

Also, I apologize if this was asked earlier in the topic, but I would like more clarification/it to be explained to me again. How does including modified JA/JK2 game assets with a code mod that uses OpenJK stuff work again?

My understanding is that I have to make it a separate download; that is, that I'm not even allowed to include small modifications to external game files in the same download (but it's perfectly fine if you break up the downloads?) without breaking some part of the license or otherwise being bad and illegal? If so though, how come MBII is allowed to do it? Or they aren't? I guess, is that really illegal and/or is that really encouraging/enabling game piracy? Which is something I really don't want to do...

@@Hels: You can think of it like a clean code base for mods to be made with too. With better game performance and stableness.

Also, I apologize if this was asked earlier in the topic, but I would like more clarification/it to be explained to me again. How does including modified JA/JK2 game assets with a code mod that uses OpenJK stuff work again?

My understanding is that I have to make it a separate download; that is, that I'm not even allowed to include small modifications to external game files in the same download (but it's perfectly fine if you break up the downloads?) without breaking some part of the license or otherwise being bad and illegal? If so though, how come MBII is allowed to do it? Or they aren't? I guess, is that really illegal and/or is that really encouraging/enabling game piracy? Which is something I really don't want to do...

Um, who told you this? Lol.

You can't include the original game assets with any mod, legally, because they are part of the Jedi Knight 2/Jedi Academy intellectual property.

You can include modified assets with a mod because it becomes your own intellectual property.

Whether or not your mod uses OpenJK is completely irrelevant. See: Jedi Academy Enhanced, which shipped with both modified assets and OpenJK compiled.

Where I think you're getting confused is with including modified assets with the source code. It's generally considered to be non-kosher to include modified stuff (.menu files, etc) that weren't part of the original release because these files were not originally licensed under the GNU GPL. It's not the OpenJK devs decision to relicense the UI stuff in particular.

This doesn't apply to MB2, which uses the SDK license. They can absolutely pass those files around. The SDK license (as opposed to the GNU GPL) also reserves the rights for the owners to refuse to provide source code.

MB2 of course can't use any OpenJK modcode fixes without being relicensed as GNU GPL. Different debate on that.

tl;dr just don't pass around .menus in your source code unless you're licensed under SDK, which MB2 is.

• 1 month later...

Could the particle count limit be raised?

Right now, it's very restrictive, and it seems the particle render system isn't very well optimized. (My GTX 750 Ti SC still lags if there's too much smoke, which to me says it's the engine, not he hardware.)

I would be nice to be able to use something like the Authentics effects without the third or fourth explosion being invisible.

EDIT: Or is this more of a Rend2 thing?

Could the particle count limit be raised?

Right now, it's very restrictive, and it seems the particle render system isn't very well optimized. (My GTX 750 Ti SC still lags if there's too much smoke, which to me says it's the engine, not he hardware.)

I would be nice to be able to use something like the Authentics effects without the third or fourth explosion being invisible.

EDIT: Or is this more of a Rend2 thing?

I was already raised maybe a year or two ago. The main issue now, as you say, is it doesn't run very well with a large number of particles because a lot of the work is done on the CPU, rather than on the GPU (as most games do nowadays).
  • 2 months later...

Hy, guys!

I play the OpenJK, and I like it, the Ghoul2 model error is no more, but I have a question.

The way to console is this: Shift+Esc, in olt time Shift+0.

I have a hungarian keyboard, my Shift+0 combination is §

In the .cfg file, what is the correct code to ConsoleKeys? 0x??? what?

Thank you very much!

Smoo likes this
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for replying to such an old thread but I need help. OpenJK SP and MP worked perfectly fine on my old computer. But when I moved the files over to my new one OpenJK SP works but MP simply refuses, it won't even show me a window with an error. I click it and nothing happens. I even redownloaded OpenJK like 4 times to see if it fixed it and it was always the same result. OpenJK SP works fine but OpenJK MP does absolutely nothing.

If it means anything I also have MBII installed which works fine, though I have it set to it's own client and not OpenJK, though the window still says openjk so I don't know if that's interfering or anything.

I'd post a screenshot, but there's nothing to post. Like I said open jk MP just simply does nothing, no error window no popup, nothing clicking on it has no effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Can the save cap be increased with open jk? if not, then is there a the folder for open jk sp saves? I have saves on open jk sp I wanted to put into safe keeping, as I've hit the maximum amount of saves available. The only saves folder I can find contains saves just from the vanilla game.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can the save cap be increased with open jk? if not, then is there a the folder for open jk sp saves? I have saves on open jk sp I wanted to put into safe keeping, as I've hit the maximum amount of saves available. The only saves folder I can find contains saves just from the vanilla game.

Anyone have any ideas?

They are saved to the OpenJK folder, in My Games. Go to your Documents folder, then My Games, then OpenJK.

• 4 weeks later...

So which one am i supposed to play, OpenJK or JA:E?

Depends on what you want.  OpenJK is basically the same as base, but contains bug fixes and quality of life improvements.  JA:Enhanced adds new features and things to the game.  JA:Enhanced is also for singleplayer, while OpenJK is both.  If you just want to play regular base JKA, get OpenJK, if you want to try something new get JA:E or try out another mod.

JKG Developer

• 4 months later...