Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Scanner

19 members have voted

1. 1. For the image of the bounty, which would you rather see?

• Rosh
    • A generic Jaden model
    • A generic Jedi model
    • A generic mercenary model (Rodian, Ugnaught, whatever misc. race)
    • Other (please reply with your anser)
    • Silhouette of a character (reply with preferred silhouette)

It makes little sense to have only the name in basic, you might as well do everything in English to be consistent, or everything in basic.

My feelings as well, I'm leaning towards all Arubesh but I may make two versions if people want to be more true to the original. *shrugs*

therfiles and Horatio Culver like this

So is anyone interested in figuring out how to implement this using what was discussed in the request thread for this? @@therfiles, @@eezstreet, @@Raz0r?

I'm working on making the graphic a "underlay" for the base JA HUD, but if someone wants to script it so that it displays a DIFFERENT image when your crosshair is on an enemy then I could make that second image the version of this scanner with all the info of the bounty.

I'd live to try some scripting things for it, but I don't think your crosshair idea is within my ability to do. I think you'd need code changes to do it. Making the crosshair bigger, making a different style, etc needs to be hardcoded methinks. I'm not sure though. I can try out my idea too, if you'd like.

I'd live to try some scripting things for it, but I don't think your crosshair idea is within my ability to do. I think you'd need code changes to do it. Making the crosshair bigger, making a different style, etc needs to be hardcoded methinks. I'm not sure though. I can try out my idea too, if you'd like.

I'm just looking for any way to implement this. While my idea seemed like the most canon/immersive and practical way to me, I'm more than happy to be a part of any other methods people think would be useful. I don't mind releasing it in multiple forms either.

therfiles likes this

Allow me to chronicle my troubles with Alpha Channels. Right now I'm trying to figure out the right combination of color and Alpha Channels to get the areas with scan lines to be faded enough to not give you a headache, but to still tint the screen green enough to look like the reference shots. UGH. Clearly there are some trouble areas, but this is just experimenting to find the right combination as I said before. Once I find that then I'll recreate the Alpha Channel from scratch to get rid of the problem area, most notably the circles in the last few shots shot.

For those curious I've achieved this by replacing gfx/hud/hudleft with my graphic of the scanner. I then created a blank 2x2 image with a completely transparent Alpha Channel and used that to replace the same graphic on the right side. Figured it would be a nice temporary fix to the clutter and business of the screen.

Did I mention I hate Alpha Channels?

shot0005_zpse0be87b6.jpg

shot0004_zpsfa597379.jpg

shot0008_zps5346904f.jpg

shot0009_zpsfc783640.jpg

shot0010_zpsa6709aae.jpg

It's far from done, but it's still progress... :mellow:

I could've sworn that just the other day you were telling me how very simple alpha channels were  :P

I don't remember having this conversation...? But they are simple, when you're just setting transparencies. Unfortunately in this case I'm also trying to tint the screen the same color as in the reference, which probably wasn't done the way I'm doing it.

Well, I think I have the final version of it. All the graphics are finished and have the proper transparency tweaks and such. Now we just need to find a way to implement it into the game. At this point I had removed the base JA HUD panels to reduce clutter, and replace the one on the left with the Bounty Hunter Scanner graphic. I'm currently trying to figure out how to implement it as more than just an overlay/underlay to the normal HUD. We'll see what happens! :)

Here it is in medium light and bright light scenarios. Pretty close to the reference I think.

shot0018_zps550cbfc8.jpg

shot0017_zps2bb4690f.jpg

Why not replace the crosshair graphic instead, the way the nightvision mod does? My main concern is now people won't be able to use this with cg_hudfiles 2 or w/e it is (the basic 'just numbers' hud). Also your painted crosshair and the one in the game aren't lining up.

By the way, couple the above replacement of crosshair graphic with cg_dynamicCrosshair 0 (I think? correct if wrong) which stops that shifting of crosshair over NPCs. All of this can be bound to a vstr or a looping bind, if you need help with either of those let me know.

Why not replace the crosshair graphic instead, the way the nightvision mod does? My main concern is now people won't be able to use this with cg_hudfiles 2 or w/e it is (the basic 'just numbers' hud). Also your painted crosshair and the one in the game aren't lining up.

By the way, couple the above replacement of crosshair graphic with cg_dynamicCrosshair 0 (I think? correct if wrong) which stops that shifting of crosshair over NPCs. All of this can be bound to a vstr or a looping bind, if you need help with either of those let me know.

I couldn't figure out a way to replace the crosshair graphic and make it full screen. It kept resizing it down. Also the fact that the crosshair doesn't stay in the center of the screen when turning, and on NPC's but you seem to have found a fix for that. @@eezstreet is the one writing up the code for this so I'll direct him to this.

As far as them lining up I'm aware and have fixed the issue, I just put that on the backburner until I got the transparencies right for everything. :)

therfiles likes this

Interestingly enough, the Latin alphabet exists in the Star Wars Universe as the High Galactic alphabet. However, I doubt it would be used on bounty scanners, especially since a two thirds of the galactic population couldn't even read it. It really depends on whether the mod should lean more toward canonicity or faithfulness to the original game. That's why I like @@Botdra's idea of releasing different versions, so the user can decide how he/she wants to play. However, I guess your idea would be a good combination of both accuracy to the Star Wars universe and, um, nostalgia?

I thought the best way to go was to stay true to SW:BH, so I'll show you guys the two versions I made, I used a generic Star Wars name because I feel that's the best way to go:

ScannerAurubesh_zpsae541fc1.jpg
ScannerEnglish_zps2e6f4446.jpg

These were made in Photoshop, so those are not in-game pictures. I just used a screenshot as the background to help nail down the right transparencies.

@@Darth Futuza, I can't tell if you're being clever or have a possibly great idea for a script for this mod. :D

I wonder how hard it would be to script it to show the player name in MP? @@eezstreet?

EDIT: So the scanner is DEAD CENTER based on the accuracy of testing different gun shots in-game as well as it being dead center in my 1024x1024 document... and guess what? Point at one spot on the screen in-game and cycle through your weapons. Look what happens to the crosshair.

I couldn't figure out a way to replace the crosshair graphic and make it full screen. It kept resizing it down. Also the fact that the crosshair doesn't stay in the center of the screen when turning, and on NPC's but you seem to have found a fix for that. @@eezstreet is the one writing up the code for this so I'll direct him to this.

As far as them lining up I'm aware and have fixed the issue, I just put that on the backburner until I got the transparencies right for everything. :)

Check out the nightvision mod, shouldnt be too hard to find. The screen moving stuff was fixed, again probably with a cvar change. Many cvars were changed when you pressed N, and then changed back when you pressed it again. (as I said, done through a vstr)

As for scale, perhaps he used tcMod scale in its shader or something.

Check out the nightvision mod, shouldnt be too hard to find. The screen moving stuff was fixed, again probably with a cvar change. Many cvars were changed when you pressed N, and then changed back when you pressed it again. (as I said, done through a vstr)

As for scale, perhaps he used tcMod scale in its shader or something.

Seems a bit complicated for my tastes, I'd rather the player just have to stick it in their base and go... but we'll see. Again, I'm leaving that up to eezstreet.

Seems a bit complicated for my tastes, I'd rather the player just have to stick it in their base and go... but we'll see. Again, I'm leaving that up to eezstreet.

That's exactly how it works. ;)

I think all the user has to do is exec nightvision in their console and it does the rest for them, tho it's been a while since I used that mod. could be more or less work. Anyway, when it comes time to release, let me know, send me a pk3, and i'll see what I can do.

Player name would be easily done. See: how it does it already.

For credit counts, what are you thinking here exactly?

Great, all we'd need to do is get the right placement... but wouldn't the font be too big? Can we scale it? I just put an arbitrary number, but left 0 in the alive part since, well, you're supposed to kill people in multiplayer - heh.

Font, text size, width/height, color, and presence of a drop shadow are customizable to an extent, no worries.

And if you want to use a different font, that's fine too.

Cool, if we could make it look as close to the rest of the text in the .png's as possible that would be great. I just used the Aurebesh font file from here. The English font is just Calibri.

The game already includes an Aurebesh font in it, so that makes things a little bit easier. Like I said, I have a barebones setup here, so I'll have to leave most of the positioning etc to you.

I was just thinking about it matching the other Aurebesh font I've used in the graphics. Yeah I can position it I think, assuming it's using the same format as the base HUD menu it'll just take some trial and error.