Playstation 4

PSN in the past years has been crappier in quality compared to XBLive. I have no idea how it is today, but it certainly sounds like it's better/going to get better with the release of the PS4. :D

Good notice for us parents:

[graphic]

Yeah well I don't think parents are the only ones who should be concerned.  Especially given the lack of options x-box one is presenting.  Its like they want you to cover the camera and microphone when not in use.

JKG Developer

See, the thing I like about Sony is that they look at what other companies are doing wrong, and do the complete opposite of what their doing. Sure, Sony had to be pressured into removing the used game restrictions entirely, but Microsoft has somehow crawled through loopholes so that they can fine people and restrict sales to only "registered used game sellers". 

This "always on" thing that Microsoft is throwing at us isn't new. Many laptops are always connected online and even newer phones have that feature. The problem is, having a sensor that can register emotion? That's on par with HAL. Quite frankly, MC will be receiving ALOT of hell from groups such as Anonymous, whom have already expressed their displeasure about this "always on" console. The PS4 also has a limited always on feature, but not as developed as XBone.

As for costs, fees and the likes, the PS4 has won the gold metal for best E3 conference. People were more active and cheerful than the XBone one, and if you remember from the PS3/360 E3 conferences, the 360 got the better reception (599 US Dollars, nuff said). I am a PC gamer at heart, but I have respect for the PS4 and for Sony, as I use plenty of Sony products and quite frankly, they are the best damn things in the world (the headphones I use have lasted for 4 years, and they work like a dream). What I really like to see, however, is further progress with the Vita, as that has ALOT of potential.

This "always on" thing that Microsoft is throwing at us isn't new. Many laptops are always connected online and even newer phones have that feature. The problem is, having a sensor that can register emotion? That's on par with HAL. Quite frankly, MC will be receiving ALOT of hell from groups such as Anonymous, whom have already expressed their displeasure about this "always on" console. The PS4 also has a limited always on feature, but not as developed as XBone.

Not sure why Anonymous should really be concerned about this.  Just don't buy it if they don't like it.  That group does incredibly stupid things sometimes.

JKG Developer

Not sure why Anonymous should really be concerned about this.  Just don't buy it if they don't like it.  That group does incredibly stupid things sometimes.

Maintaining your privacy is not incredibly stupid. What's incredibly stupid is people saying anyone who runs their internet through VPN is paranoid. Anyone who constantly deletes web history is paranoid. Anyone who shreds their bills and personal documents before throwing them away is paranoid. Being safe and secure in this day and age is difficult, and you have every right to maintain that privacy.

The problem here is not the cameras alone, it's easy to say don't buy it, but if they started putting cameras in electric guitars (I'm a musician by the way) and you said "Just don't buy them" do you really think that's an answer? Now obviously you and I don't make our living off of the Xbox One like I do off of my guitar, but even so, the point still stands that they are taking something that was once ours and making it theirs. They are taking something we know and love, something we use to relax, something we use to unwind, and saying "You can have that, but at the cost of your privacy."

Sure, if I don't buy it I won't have that problem, but it shouldn't have to come down to that. The point is we should never have to worry about our gaming consoles watching us. Want to put a camera in your console? Go ahead Microsoft, but then use some form of security to protect it from being hacked and accessed by outside sources. Or how about disconnecting from the internet when you play games that require it, for safety reasons? Or, better yet, make the damn thing optional.

Sure, if I don't buy it I won't have that problem, but it shouldn't have to come down to that. The point is we should never have to worry about our gaming consoles watching us. Want to put a camera in your console? Go ahead Microsoft, but then use some form of security to protect it from being hacked and accessed by outside sources. Or how about disconnecting from the internet when you play games that require it, for safety reasons? Or, better yet, make the damn thing optional.

But using internet terrorism to force a private company to do what you want?  The right answer seems to be just to boycott the product and complain to Microsoft until they change it.  But attacking, DDOSing, and doing the other usual crap Anoynomous usually does to people who upset them is the wrong answer.  I'm all for what you're saying, I just don't believe web terrorism is the right way to get what you want.

JKG Developer

But using internet terrorism to force a private company to do what you want?  The right answer seems to be just to boycott the product and complain to Microsoft until they change it.  But attacking, DDOSing, and doing the other usual crap Anoynomous usually does to people who upset them is the wrong answer.  I'm all for what you're saying, I just don't believe web terrorism is the right way to get what you want.

I think you're throwing around the word "terrorism" rather trivially. This is nothing like 9/11, but I do understand what you are getting at by using it.

The problem is you can say "boycott" all you want, but how often does that actually change a companies mind? Unless you can get a vast majority to boycott a company or their product you won't make an impact. A loss in sales does not mean a company will rethink their choices and change what they are doing. What does change their mind is a major hit to sales. Plus even if people don't buy the Xbox One and most people go with the PS4, Microsoft isn't going to say "What we're doing is wrong", they will just keep doing those wrong things but give you other reasons to buy their console like some free games, making online play free, etc. You can't send a message by not buying the system because all that tells them is just that, people aren't buying the system. Unless every person who doesn't buy it writes them a letter saying "I'm not buying it because I want to protect my privacy", Microsoft isn't going to know the real reason people aren't buying the consoles.

At the very least I will say that when Anonymous takes down a company they are always well aware of the reasons why, thanks to what's left on their websites and the announcements they make. They get the message across a lot better than the above method, can't argue there. Keep in mind Anonymous do more than just DDOS websites. There's rallies, posters, street teams... there's a lot going on.

I don't see why using internet skills to force a company to stop doing something that is wrong is any worse of an offense than a company doing something wrong. At least one side is fighting for what's right and fair. Now of course we get into the whole "who decides" debate, but so far I haven't seen anything they've done that's made me angry. I always felt whatever happened was deserved.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right, just because it's illegal doesn't make it wrong.

@@Mog there's no evidence that Sony had used game restrictions and there's no "always online" restriction on the PS4.

They did when they first announced the PS4 that there was going to be used game restrictions. Then GameStop pressured them into removing it. I never said anything about the PS4 being "always online". 

They did when they first announced the PS4 that there was going to be used game restrictions. Then GameStop pressured them into removing it. I never said anything about the PS4 being "always online". 

I'd like to see a source on this. I tried several Google searches and no sign of what you've discussed.

Playstation 4 will feature a headset with the console package. Best of all, the headset jack on the controller is standard, meaning all PC-usable headsets apply here. This is pretty fantastic I think, as it makes the game a lot more social.

Meanwhile, Xbox One will include no headsets, still use the same proprietary jack, and Kinect commands apparently can't be piped in through the headset.

Botdra likes this

Playstation 4 will feature a headset with the console package. Best of all, the headset jack on the controller is standard, meaning all PC-usable headsets apply here. This is pretty fantastic I think, as it makes the game a lot more social.

Meanwhile, Xbox One will include no headsets, still use the same proprietary jack, and Kinect commands apparently can't be piped in through the headset.

Nice move, Sony.

• 2 months later...

So who's missed out on a PS4 so far? I have, because I couldn't afford do the pre-order before the cutoff. :\

They seem to be sold out in Australia, and we have no idea when our second shipment in 2014 will get here.