Playstation 4

When is the XBone event?

Frankly, the PS4 seems like it will win by default, so long as they don't screw up the pricing, shipping, or throw in any sudden stops with used games. Otherwise, PS4 seems to be owning -- it has the Wii U gimmick (recently confirmed that all PS4 games must support the second screen via Vita), has the rough equivalent graphics wise of the XBone, less issues, and the exclusives are getting better and better.

• 2 weeks later...

PS4 just curb-stomped the XB1. No online DRM nonsense, can trade used games, no evil spying/PRISM, and costs $100 less than XB1 (even more depending on region), twice as many exclusives at launch with 50% more new IPs, all games are Vita compatible, and well, yeah. Looks like Wii U and XB1 have a lot of ground to make up.

Only downside to the PS4 imo is the $5 PSPlus membership required for online games. Even then, if it's half as good as the stuff in the PSPlus of old, it'd be doing gamers a great service actually.

I think the PS4 quite frankly is unstoppable, given the circumstances.

katanamaru, Sentra and DT. like this

They're charging for online?

Fuck them both. I'll stick with PC and PS3. Not paying to use internet I already pay for (PS4, XB1). Or for games which people already own (XB1). Or not be able to play games without an online connection.(XB1)

Also, it doesn't look very suave to me. And if it's actually less than $5pcm (In the UK about (£3) I'll eat my steaming hat full of shit.

Corto likes this

Well, if the figures are right then it AGAIN sucks to be an Australian gamer. While the US gets the PS4 at $399, we in Australia will have to pay $549. The Xbox One is sitting at $599. Aside from the pricing, I'm going to get a PS4.

Concerning paying to play online, $5 (US) is pretty good when you think about what else you get on the PSN. I see no downside at alll to it. Heck, I've paid more for SWTOR & WoW subs. :P

Microsoft, you got no chance. The crowd at Sony's press conference roared a few times about the features. ;)

Someone get me up to date on the paying to use online features on PS4? I'm seeing a lot of different information on it, most of it conflicting. Most people are talking about Playstation Plus but others seem not to be.

Someone get me up to date on the paying to use online features on PS4? I'm seeing a lot of different information on it, most of it conflicting. Most people are talking about Playstation Plus but others seem not to be.

You have to have a Playstation Plus membership in order to play online now. Originally, Playstation Plus was just a premium membership where you got free games (~12 free AA or AAA quality games on signup, plus one more each month), weekly discounts and deals on others, and so forth. Frankly, Playstation Plus was well worth the money spent on it (roughly $5/mo, unless you buy a bunch of months in advance). I kinda regret not buying it earlier.

Singleplayer games are unaffected. You can still play singleplayer games without concern. Likewise, the PS4 is not region locked (maybe @@DT85 should consider buying a US PS4 and then shipping it for more money saved), there is no mandatory internet or PS Plus membership required to use it, and you can still trade games with your friends ala Playstation 3/Xbox 360.

You have to have a Playstation Plus membership in order to play online now. Originally, Playstation Plus was just a premium membership where you got free games (~12 free AA or AAA quality games on signup, plus one more each month), weekly discounts and deals on others, and so forth. Frankly, Playstation Plus was well worth the money spent on it (roughly $5/mo, unless you buy a bunch of months in advance). I kinda regret not buying it earlier.

Singleplayer games are unaffected. You can still play singleplayer games without concern. Likewise, the PS4 is not region locked (maybe @@DT85 should consider buying a US PS4 and then shipping it for more money saved), there is no mandatory internet or PS Plus membership required to use it, and you can still trade games with your friends ala Playstation 3/Xbox 360.

Oh, I see - that's not much of a bother at all. Personally I think that's not necessarily a good idea, but people shouldn't be complaining about it. If you have a PS3 and you don't have Playstation Plus, you're stupid. :P Honestly it's a fantastic deal, and since December I've gotten like 15 games off there I was interested in. Full titles like Ratchet and Clank, InFAMOUS 2 and more. I can appreciate the annoyance of having to pay in order to play online obviously, but in the case of Playstation it's a very small price to pay. It's cheaper than what Microsoft charges you for online play, and you get a lot more games to choose from. Plus discounts on tons of games as well, exclusive game downloads (Right now I think it's just a bunch of God of War titles) and you can also get themes and avatars off their too.

It's cheaper than what Microsoft charges you for online play, and you get a lot more games to choose from. 

Not saying that isn't true, but personally it has never been an issue for me.  I maintain an active Xbox Live subscription, but it is because I can get it at $25 a year as opposed to the $60.  I'd have PS Plus too if I had the extra cash blowing around.

Not saying that isn't true, but personally it has never been an issue for me.  I maintain an active Xbox Live subscription, but it is because I can get it at $25 a year as opposed to the $60.  I'd have PS Plus too if I had the extra cash blowing around.

I'm not saying it is an issue in itself, just saying it's still beating Microsoft in that regard and they know it, which is why they said they're giving 2 free games a month with XBL - to compete with Sony. You do get more games though with Sony and it is cheaper so... Yeah. *shrugs*

I'm not saying it is an issue in itself, just saying it's still beating Microsoft in that regard and they know it, which is why they said they're giving 2 free games a month with XBL - to compete with Sony. You do get more games though with Sony and it is cheaper so... Yeah. *shrugs*

They're actually only doing that till the release of XboxOne, it is not intended to be a "thing" I don't think.  The only thing I'd say is good about it, is you don't have to maintain the subscription to play them.  

Honestly I don't tend to do much online play anymore aside from occasionally with people I know. As such technically it would make more sense for me to drop the XBL and get PS+, except for the fact that I get my XBL for a yearly $25 (roughly $2 a month if I wasn't paying a lump sum), whereas I would still pay the same price for PS+ that everyone else does.

Trust me, I have certainly considered getting PS+, as I agree it is a good deal, even for just the games alone.  But at least in my case it isn't the better financial choice, so I can't really bring myself to wave it's banner around.  Not to mention even though Netflix and the like are free on PS, they run faster on my Xbox for some reason or another, so I'd prefer to keep my XBL one way or another.

They're actually only doing that till the release of XboxOne, it is not intended to be a "thing" I don't think.  The only thing I'd say is good about it, is you don't have to maintain the subscription to play them.  

Honestly I don't tend to do much online play anymore aside from occasionally with people I know. As such technically it would make more sense for me to drop the XBL and get PS+, except for the fact that I get my XBL for a yearly $25 (roughly $2 a month if I wasn't paying a lump sum), whereas I would still pay the same price for PS+ that everyone else does.

Trust me, I have certainly considered getting PS+, as I agree it is a good deal, even for just the games alone.  But at least in my case it isn't the better financial choice, so I can't really bring myself to wave it's banner around.  Not to mention even though Netflix and the like are free on PS, they run faster on my Xbox for some reason or another, so I'd prefer to keep my XBL one way or another.

Of course it's obviously a different story when you're already paying for online play on another console. I just meant that people who own a PS3 and don't own an Xbox 360 (or own a 360 but don't play online with it) to me it's a no brainer to get Playstation Plus. If you own both consoles and you're already paying for 360 then that's a financial issue, sure. But if you own both you'll probably end up using XBL (If you have to choose between XBL and PS+) since that seems to cater more to the hardcore online gamers of CoD, Battlefield and the like anyways. Depends on what your friends have for a console too.

Only problem with buying electronics from overseas is the voltage, plug adaptors are easy enough to get. AUS runs on 240, and not everything from overseas has AUS voltage compatibility. If the US PS4 did have this, by the time I got it here it would have probably cost me the same amount when adding postage.