High Res Textures

Syko

I really can't help but throw something in here now, I've been watching this and it's looking astonishing. You should be proud.

I loved that work on Kyle too, such a massive difference...

All so very well done,

Kudos to all involved!

I read you guys and we all seem to agree that bringing JO up to date, even if the coders can't get a new renderer to work in there, would be great. I'm playing through JK2 again and the brushwork and level design can be improved a lot without the need of fancy lightning or normal mapping. On the other hand, I see so much talent and dedication and I cannot stop thinking, why redo something that's already done instead of making something completely new, something that reads originality instead of "what you did, we can make better"? I looks like we are only a handful of modders left for this game, most of them already moved on with their lives or to another engine to show up how much detail they can cram up into a single model, I say we open up a thread and discuss what we can do, Star Wars related, as a standalone and original project. Maybe something based on the original trilogy, Pulp Fiction style (multiple stories crossing each other), including not only  light sabers but also short stories about Han and Chewie, old Obi Wan, Luke and Biggs, Boba Fett, perhaps a flashback with young Anakin. I thinking about something that shows/explains some things from the movies that already were there but you had to find out about in comics or novels. There's a lot to work on in there. Think about it.

Circa and ChalklYne like this

Also, and I don't want to take this thread farer away from its original topic, is a good chance to introduce new gameplay mechanics, show some mapping and modeling skils and there's also room for some voice acting if someone wants to pitch in.

I read you guys and we all seem to agree that bringing JO up to date, even if the coders can't get a new renderer to work in there, would be great. I'm playing through JK2 again and the brushwork and level design can be improved a lot without the need of fancy lightning or normal mapping. On the other hand, I see so much talent and dedication and I cannot stop thinking, why redo something that's already done instead of making something completely new, something that reads originality instead of "what you did, we can make better"? I looks like we are only a handful of modders left for this game, most of them already moved on with their lives or to another engine to show up how much detail they can cram up into a single model, I say we open up a thread and discuss what we can do, Star Wars related, as a standalone and original project. Maybe something based on the original trilogy, Pulp Fiction style (multiple stories crossing each other), including not only  light sabers but also short stories about Han and Chewie, old Obi Wan, Luke and Biggs, Boba Fett, perhaps a flashback with young Anakin. I thinking about something that shows/explains some things from the movies that already were there but you had to find out about in comics or novels. There's a lot to work on in there. Think about it.

I LOVE THIS IDEA. A LOT.

Interesting idea, but I would not be interested in working on it. The reason I am trying to improve the graphics of JO is because I like everything about JO itself, from it's story, to characters, to level design, and I think it deserves a much needed visual overhaul, but I think that's all that's necessary. I am not interested in working on an entirely new Star Wars game. I already worked on the Jedi Betrayal mod team for a year and a half and the project is honestly kind of a failure now. No one does anything for it anymore. If you want to work on something completely original, join their team.

Also, I'm not a fan of making games about the movies directly. I saw the movies, I know what happens, I have no desire to play as the Original Trilogy characters. When I picture them I want to picture actors, not game characters.

And if I sound a little weird, it's because I just sank 2 hours into another texture and my brain is fried. Need to take a break.

Interesting idea, but I would not be interested in working on it. The reason I am trying to improve the graphics of JO is because I like everything about JO itself, from it's story, to characters, to level design, and I think it deserves a much needed visual overhaul, but I think that's all that's necessary. I am not interested in working on an entirely new Star Wars game. I already worked on the Jedi Betrayal mod team for a year and a half and the project is honestly kind of a failure now. No one does anything for it anymore. If you want to work on something completely original, join their team.

Also, I'm not a fan of making games about the movies directly. I saw the movies, I know what happens, I have no desire to play as the Original Trilogy characters. When I picture them I want to picture actors, not game characters.

That's...interesting. So you don't play any movie related games at all?

That's...interesting. So you don't play any movie related games at all?

No, not really. Unless you count Star Wars: Apprentice of the Force which I played when I was 15. 

All of the SW games I've ever played are everything in Star Wars BOPC, JA and KOTOR 2.

No, not really. Unless you count Star Wars: Apprentice of the Force which I played when I was 15. 

All of the SW games I've ever played are everything in Star Wars BOPC, JA and KOTOR 2.

Well those are the best ones I guess. Except Battlefront II is better than the first, which was in BOPC.

I guess I understand, but I personally like reliving the movies in games. That's the main reason I enjoyed Lego Star Wars so much back in the day was because of that. Fun stuff!

Now I feel bad for continuing to run this topic off course even further.

Now I feel bad for continuing to run this topic off course even further.

I'll be posting another texture soon hopefully. It's going to be a high resolution version of the control panel that I posted earlier. 

Circa likes this

Not to rain on your parade, but as great as this idea is I don't think it'll be as easy as you think. Most modders here don't really want to create something original... that's why we make mods and aren't building a game off of the Unreal or Source engines. Plus after seeing the number of big overhauls that "dedicated modders" made that have failed I don't see an even bigger project working. If you wanna create something original, not only are you going to probably have to look elsewhere, but you may run into some issues with Star Wars related content...

i too must derail the subject and put in my 2 cents on the whole unreal thing... i dont care what the mod is.. prequel, tfu, kotor, if anyone wants to start coding it ill definately be down to create some high res sw models with normals and everything. sure would b nice. i was talking to someone about it and they said it would be an issue to get them ghoul2 models, .efx files, and everything all into unreal, but i say dont. we wont need the old models and efx files if were doing unreal we can go all unreal u know? just my 2 cents. but throw ol chalk in the hat of dedicated modellers who are willing to model high res.

i struggle with the low res stuff cuz im always trying to save a vert lol

i apologize for the sidetracking

Circa likes this

Technically, its much FASTER to recreate preexisting designs and ideas than completely original maps.

exactly! like.. we can make a yavin1 in unreal in no time and it would be pretty awesome.. and we can throw in artistic freedom here n there (new plants etc)

i think the main issue is saber combat

but even if thats the issue... we can just do a fps like republic commandos all unreal which would still be pretty friggin sweet. that takes almost all the coding out. hell maybe all the coding lol

exactly! like.. we can make a yavin1 in unreal in no time and it would be pretty awesome.. and we can throw in artistic freedom here n there (new plants etc)

i think the main issue is saber combat

but even if thats the issue... we can just do a fps like republic commandos all unreal which would still be pretty friggin sweet. that takes almost all the coding out. hell maybe all the coding lol

It would also take out the Jedi part of Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy/Outcast. :P

ChalklYne and therfiles like this

It would also take out the Jedi part of Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy/Outcast. :P

crap lol

well.. im down for a 501st game. like from clone training all the way to bf2 that would be worth a little effort i guess. but damnitt if u arent exactly right

Circa likes this

crap lol

well.. im down for a 501st game. like from clone training all the way to bf2 that would be worth a little effort i guess. but damnitt if u arent exactly right

I agree that would be cool.

But with your idea, remaking Dark Forces in Unreal would be sweet. It doesn't need saber combat.

I would rather see JK2 and JKA revamped with HD textures, models, shaders, sounds, music, maps, etc. first, at least.  But that's just my personal fantasy that I doubt people will get behind. 

Also, I heard Unreal is a B to mod in, so GL with that.

Mr.Zz and Botdra like this

Everybody will benefit from higher polycount models, higher resolution textures and better gameplay mechanics. I was just pitching and idea in, just read carefully what I wrote and don't jump into conclusions. Moving on to another engine would complete defeat the purpose of this forum and all the expertise with the current tools everybody has, so I think that's out of the question. If I wanted to start something in Unreal, I wouldn't be here sharing with you guys.

I would rather see JK2 and JKA revamped with HD textures, models, shaders, sounds, music, maps, etc. first, at least.  But that's just my personal fantasy that I doubt people will get behind. 

Also, I heard Unreal is a B to mod in, so GL with that.

Agreed.

ive really only made a map n some shaders in unreal so im pretty unfamiliar with it. i know for a fact that this is a dumb question... but why does jkas engine have so many limitations and is it as easy as just changine some lines as to how many verts/ etc can be rendered at once, or do u have to rewrite like every header  or whatever? guess im trying to get an idea of the amount of work needs to be done versus the benefits. 

@DT I was hoping to get the view models for the weapon remake pack that @BlackResuru and @@Silverfang are working on to be in GLM format, so that we could animate them much better.

Definately would be an improvement. I remember doing all sorts of tests with animated viewmodels for JKG at one point. I dissected SoF2's demo and found out their method (model-wise) of how they set up their models and bolted different arms mesh onto an animated weapon model. Quite interesting stuff compared to JO/JKA's MD3 method. :P

Though, what about getting IQM implemented and using it? Would be easier than having to worry about carcass, and you get 1:1 copies of animations from any 3D package. I tried this myself, but I really do suck at programming. ;)

P.S

I'll stop changing the topic now, I promise!

Corto likes this