High Res Textures

Syko

Not at all, although it is very hard to explain with text alone.

First I started with a base metal color, which I also made from scratch with a solid color with added noise + the blur, dodge and burn tools. That's another story. Anyway, I filled a 2048 x 2048 blank canvas with the base metal texture, and then I set out to make the shapes of the circles and lines. 
To make the circles I Shift + dragged to make a circle, and filled it black. Then, in Blending options I checked stroke and colored the stroke another color, which expanded the borders of the circle a little.

Then I rasterized the layer and selected the colored border with the magic wand, and deleted the inside of the circle, so I effectively just had the border around the circle. Then I simply duplicated the circle and placed it accordingly with Raven's texture, and connected them with the black bars. After that I merged all of the circles and bars together, and I beveled and embossed them inward to give them depth. Then I lowered the opacity of all of the black circles and bars a little, and then added the rounded rectangle things with Photoshop's rounded rectangle tool. I had to edit the radius of the rounded rectangle though so it was fat enough, like raven's texture. 

Finally, I put a metal texture I had found on CGTextures over it and set it as overlay in the layers dropdown box, which gave it all of the metallic details without having to laboriously paint them all in (not to mention I suck at painting).

I should write a tutorial when I have the time. Making textures is not very hard, but it's very time consuming if you want the final product to actually look good. That door texture took about an hour to make, although since the floor I made was simpler that took me like 20 minutes.

i didn't get one word out of this though i do think this is damn cool :P awesome textures, truly.

I remade another texture. This has literally been the hardest and most time consuming texture I have ever made. It took about 2 and a half hours. 

Original (512 x 256) :

2l6g6b.jpg

Mine (2048 x 1024):

dvfziw.jpg

Unfortunately though I literally found no place where this texture is in-game. There's another one that's a lot like it and all of the maps use that (mapd2.jpg). As of yet I can't find a map that uses mapd1.jpg. If someone finds a map that uses this texture, tell me and I'll make an in-game screenshot.

Circa likes this

I hope you are not too far ahead with the progress because of what I have to tell you. What size are the original textures? 2k by 2k seems rather overkill for the amount of detail you are putting into those textures. Part of the purpose of remaking textures is being able to make them sharper without introducing jagged lines or artifacts into the picture, but the most important thing is to re imagine the original texture with more detail given the fact you have more texture space to work on. Your general idea is good, using a texture overlay to add grit, dirt and scratches is a really good idea, but besides that, there's not much improvement over the original textures. I suggest you use more drop shadows, inner shadows, be careful with the angle of the light when using bevels. Also, you can combine the blending mode of the dirt layer with the "Blend if" option under the Blending Options of the layer. As one of the texture artists for the Dark Forces mod, what I did is try to imagine what I could put in the textures that the lower resolution wouldn't allow the original artists to do. That includes not only small detail like cracks of scratches, but also new geometry, better lighting, etc. Now, this is a staggering task, so I would also suggest you start by redrawing those textures that will allow you to put more detail into them: panels, doors, grates, things that are not flat in nature, etc. I will gladly help you out with photoshop techniques over Google Hangout if you need assistance.

This is a good idea, but given the gargantuan size of my task already, adding in a large amount of additional details makes finishing this pack an impossibility. Since I have the PSD source files for these textures I could "loan them out" to other texture artists so that they can add additional details and stuff and make it look even better. My job right now is just making them higher res and adding a little more detail.

I remade another texture. This has literally been the hardest and most time consuming texture I have ever made. It took about 2 and a half hours. 

Original (512 x 256) :

2l6g6b.jpg

Mine (2048 x 1024):

dvfziw.jpg

Unfortunately though I literally found no place where this texture is in-game. There's another one that's a lot like it and all of the maps use that (mapd2.jpg). As of yet I can't find a map that uses mapd1.jpg. If someone finds a map that uses this texture, tell me and I'll make an in-game screenshot.

Used in a few glass panels on kejim_post, and some other imperial installations. Check the red and green areas in kejim_post.

I still can't find it. I feel like I've seen it all the time, but it's always been the other textures. 

I remember thinking it was on here:

ekhpqs.jpg

..But it isn't. 

Given how tough that last texture was, I thought I would do a really easy one. 

Old:

2rzymf5.jpg

New:

2aa0g2x.jpg

I know it's a awful lot of work. I wouldn't take on such a task nowadays, not alone at least.My advice would be to wait and see what the coders come up with, graphic wise. And then resume the task of remaking the textures. What I mean is, perhaps the whole game library could be steadily be brought up to a modern warfare level of quality. I would happily take on the task of coordinating a group of modelers to remake player and npc models if that happens.

Botdra and Circa like this

I know it's a awful lot of work. I wouldn't take on such a task nowadays, not alone at least.My advice would be to wait and see what the coders come up with, graphic wise. And then resume the task of remaking the textures. What I mean is, perhaps the whole game library could be steadily be brought up to a modern warfare level of quality. I would happily take on the task of coordinating a group of modelers to remake player and npc models if that happens.

I agree, but no matter what engine upgrades they end up doing, they are still going to need higher res textures for it to look like Modern Warefare. I'm also doing this because I own the copyright to the textures and I could give permission for them to be used with OpenJK without people having to buy Jedi Outcast. And, I'm sure these look good in any application for texture artist in any mod team out there if I ever wanted to join any.

I'm going to set a daily goal of getting two textures done each day. That way, I don't do to many and get sick of it (and spend all day on the computer), and if I loose momentum I'll still be motivated to get just two textures done. 

By the way, I finally found that map texture in-game.

I'm going to take an educated guess that that map texture is the Yavin system. The large planet is the gas giant Yavin, and the arrows are pointing to Yavin IV, the Imperials' destination. This explains why the texture only appears on the Doomgiver.

One thing you guys can do since I don't have radiant installed is take screenshots of the 2d-wireframe window of your map and color them green and black and post them here. They should look something like this (these are Raven's):

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

screen04.jpg

screen05.jpg

screen06.jpg

screen07.jpg

screen08.jpg

screen09.jpg

Make sure the final image is 1024 x 1024 since these are 256 x 256.

That last new texture you made is great, but it's backwards man. :P

Also, can I ask if you actually looked up the translation of the Aurebesh words on the old texture? I noticed you did different ones so I was curious if you wrote something but too lazy to actually translate it myself, heh.

That last new texture you made is great, but it's backwards man. :P

Also, can I ask if you actually looked up the translation of the Aurebesh words on the old texture? I noticed you did different ones so I was curious if you wrote something but too lazy to actually translate it myself, heh.

I knew someone would ask that. The top white text says "this is mah jedi outcast retexture pack," and the other Aurebesh text is just gibberish. 

Triple Post FTW

The more I do this, the more I realize that it's going to take a team of people to complete this project. If I get some recruits I can open up another forum or something. Ideally 4-6 people would be best. Does anyone feel like joining up?

As much as I honestly would like to (this sort of thing has been on my wishlist for years), I don't really have the skills or time required. Talk to @@Mr.Zz perhaps? He doesn't totally redo textures like you do, but maybe you can teach him if he doesn't already know.

As much as I honestly would like to (this sort of thing has been on my wishlist for years), I don't really have the skills or time required. Talk to @@Mr.Zz perhaps? He doesn't totally redo textures like you do, but maybe you can teach him if he doesn't already know.

I don't have the time required either. :P That's why I need a significant amount of help from any other texture artists here. Frankly I don't think I'll be able to continue on making many more textures if there isn't a team working on this. I'm very busy in real life with a job and I have a girlfriend so...yeah. 

Some of these textures I like, but I really dislike the new door (page 1) & your floor texture (page 1) has rough edges that makes it lose its authenticity as a real floor.

Also unless you plan on having 2 versions (one with and one without normal mapping), you really should wait until another renderer is available (which will support normal mapping). Adding normal maps to your (or Raven's for that matter) textures and leaving the 'pre-defined' lighting in the diffuse textures will just look very low grade.