High Res Textures

Syko

UPDATE 3-9-14

This project is now officially integrated with eezstreet's JK2: HD Project.

Purpose

The goal is to provide rebuilt, higher resolution textures for Jedi Outcast that are four times the size of the originals. Originally, I was planning to rebuild all textures for Jedi Outcast. What I've found however is that in most cases, the textures themselves are high enough resolution. What Jedi Outcast needs is not necessarily higher resolution textures, but normal/diffuse/specular maps, as well as a better lighting system and other certain things that only modifying Jedi Outcast's engine can provide. As such, I am only rebuilding textures that are of the following categories:

Target

1) Light textures. Anything that has a glowing light on it. The reason for this is because crisper lights (and glow effects) look better. 

2) Control panels. Players will walk up close to these, so it is important that they do not look awful at a close range. 

3) Any kind of imperial screens and monitors. Again, crisper lines look significantly better. 

Gallery

Everything I've done so far. Note that in each picture, only one texture has been replaced. 

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-outcast-high-resolution-texture-project/images

Legal Disclaimer

Since I have created these textures from scratch, I retain full rights to each of them. Each texture is a ton of work. Some take no more than an hour, but the majority of them took me about 2-3 hours each, and one that probably took about 6 hours over two days. As such, I expect my work to be respected. These textures may not be used in any way shape or form unless I otherwise specify. Permission is given to eezstreet to use these textures exclusively in his JK2: HD mod for Jedi Outcast. 

Working on it. In the meantime, you mind explaining your process a bit?

Not at all, although it is very hard to explain with text alone.

First I started with a base metal color, which I also made from scratch with a solid color with added noise + the blur, dodge and burn tools. That's another story. Anyway, I filled a 2048 x 2048 blank canvas with the base metal texture, and then I set out to make the shapes of the circles and lines. 
To make the circles I Shift + dragged to make a circle, and filled it black. Then, in Blending options I checked stroke and colored the stroke another color, which expanded the borders of the circle a little.

Then I rasterized the layer and selected the colored border with the magic wand, and deleted the inside of the circle, so I effectively just had the border around the circle. Then I simply duplicated the circle and placed it accordingly with Raven's texture, and connected them with the black bars. After that I merged all of the circles and bars together, and I beveled and embossed them inward to give them depth. Then I lowered the opacity of all of the black circles and bars a little, and then added the rounded rectangle things with Photoshop's rounded rectangle tool. I had to edit the radius of the rounded rectangle though so it was fat enough, like raven's texture. 

Finally, I put a metal texture I had found on CGTextures over it and set it as overlay in the layers dropdown box, which gave it all of the metallic details without having to laboriously paint them all in (not to mention I suck at painting).

I should write a tutorial when I have the time. Making textures is not very hard, but it's very time consuming if you want the final product to actually look good. That door texture took about an hour to make, although since the floor I made was simpler that took me like 20 minutes.

Yeah, if you really want it to look good, modeling the texture would make it look a lot better. Modeling is even more time consuming though and I'm a LOT more comfortable in Photoshop than I am in 3ds max, not to mention I haven't modeled something in over a year. 

One question concerning legal stuff.

Do I legally own the copyright to these textures, even though they are trying to be exact replicas of what Raven did? I made them from scratch, other than the overlay which is in the public domain. If I owned the copyright to these textures then If I gave permission these could be used in OpenJK without buying Jedi Outcast.

Looks great so far man. I'd highly encourage you to keep this up.

I will say be careful HOW you recreate the textures... some people won't like it if they all look grungy. Try and go for realism, while staying true to the original. It bothers me when "updated/improved" textures are really just darker, higher contrast version with some grunge overlays. =/ But like I said, so far it looks very good, keep it up.

It's not even that it needs to be less grunge (unless all your textures are grunge haha) but the key to all of this is subtlety!! High resolution recreations will get the job done, any sort of scratches, dents, added texture, bumpmapping etc. is icing on the cake and can easily mess it up if not done tastefully.

You should do some googling, I don't have the program anymore but there was a simple program put out by nvidia a while back that could generate a normal map from a texture, that way you won't really need a modeling program.

Why do I see a comment about bump mapping up there? It's so dated, normal, AO and cavity maps are where it's at.

You should do some googling, I don't have the program anymore but there was a simple program put out by nvidia a while back that could generate a normal map from a texture, that way you won't really need a modeling program.

Why do I see a comment about bump mapping up there? It's so dated, normal, AO and cavity maps are where it's at.

If you or someone else wants to do this, please do, because I'm not. I don't have time to learn something new and I don't even know what those are, haha.

Because no one is doing it now, and I sure as hell aren't going to. <_<

Let's talk about that after I finish the pack. ;)

I'll probably go about this theme by theme. Assuming I finish doomgiver, then I'll probably do cairn as @@MoonDog has requested. Then Kejim. I love the Imperial themes, etc. Probably Bespin last. I dislike the Bespin theme.

Anyone feel like making a 2048 x 2048 picture of Kyle to go on Galak's screen?

2jfk65e.jpg

I honestly am not sure how I'm going to do that.

Let's talk about that after I finish the pack. ;)

I'll probably go about this theme by theme. Assuming I finish doomgiver, then I'll probably do cairn as @@MoonDog has requested. Then Kejim. I love the Imperial themes, etc. Probably Bespin last. I dislike the Bespin theme.

Anyone feel like making a 2048 x 2048 picture of Kyle to go on Galak's screen?

I honestly am not sure how I'm going to do that.

Getting something close to that probably would suffice. It's a small screen and a short cinematic.

I hope you are not too far ahead with the progress because of what I have to tell you. What size are the original textures? 2k by 2k seems rather overkill for the amount of detail you are putting into those textures. Part of the purpose of remaking textures is being able to make them sharper without introducing jagged lines or artifacts into the picture, but the most important thing is to re imagine the original texture with more detail given the fact you have more texture space to work on. Your general idea is good, using a texture overlay to add grit, dirt and scratches is a really good idea, but besides that, there's not much improvement over the original textures. I suggest you use more drop shadows, inner shadows, be careful with the angle of the light when using bevels. Also, you can combine the blending mode of the dirt layer with the "Blend if" option under the Blending Options of the layer. As one of the texture artists for the Dark Forces mod, what I did is try to imagine what I could put in the textures that the lower resolution wouldn't allow the original artists to do. That includes not only small detail like cracks of scratches, but also new geometry, better lighting, etc. Now, this is a staggering task, so I would also suggest you start by redrawing those textures that will allow you to put more detail into them: panels, doors, grates, things that are not flat in nature, etc. I will gladly help you out with photoshop techniques over Google Hangout if you need assistance.