MD3 crashing game

Go to solution Solved by Circa,

I'm trying to replace the map object z-95 model with the Jedi starfighter but it keeps crashing the game. It works fine in MD3View. I got the MD3 from MBII from the Mustafar map. Is there any way someone could either convert the GLM model to an MD3, or explain how to do it. I tried via Blender but couldn't figure the program out.

therfiles likes this

I'm trying to replace the map object z-95 model with the Jedi starfighter but it keeps crashing the game. It works fine in MD3View. I got the MD3 from MBII from the Mustafar map. Is there any way someone could either convert the GLM model to an MD3, or explain how to do it. I tried via Blender but couldn't figure the program out.

I think MD3Viewer can do it. There is an option that says 'save as .glm'. It should be in the SDK. Do you know which program I'm talking about?

I think MD3Viewer can do it. There is an option that says 'save as .glm'. It should be in the SDK. Do you know which program I'm talking about?

:P

Yeah, I said that it works fine in MD3View. I need it to be an MD3, not a GLM. The MD3 I have is crashing the game. MD3View doesn't have an option to open a GLM. And ModView doesn't have an export as MD3 option either.

Ooops...Sorry! :unsure:

Why does it have to be an MD3? If you need Glm to Md3, I know a progam called milkshape can also import glm and export md3

It's alright. :D

That's what the default map objects are, md3.

I remember Milkshape. Is it free?

Never had this problem, though I'm not a mapper and the only thing I may use a md3 model for is weapons, they're used as the model that is shown when the gun or saber hilt has been dropped on the ground.

Someone here may know how to set up the game to output a log file for the crash, maybe that will shed some light on things.

You can use whatever model of mine you want, some things I'll even release source files for if people ask and I can find them. I used to be one of those pricks who didn't want people using or modifying thier models but I realized it's a stupid way of doing things in a modding community, everything I make is freely available for use, just give credit where credit is due. If I could track down the original Softimage scene file I'd even give that to you too if you wanted to see how I made it.

Never had this problem, though I'm not a mapper and the only thing I may use a md3 model for is weapons, they're used as the model that is shown when the gun or saber hilt has been dropped on the ground.

Someone here may know how to set up the game to output a log file for the crash, maybe that will shed some light on things.

You can use whatever model of mine you want, some things I'll even release source files for if people ask and I can find them. I used to be one of those pricks who didn't want people using or modifying thier models but I realized it's a stupid way of doing things in a modding community, everything I make is freely available for use, just give credit where credit is due. If I could track down the original Softimage scene file I'd even give that to you too if you wanted to see how I made it.

Is there an easy way to convert a GLM to an MD3 like it is vice versa? This seems like the most logical choice first.

I'm on Mac and there is a log file but I don't know what exactly it lists or how to even read it.

Thanks for the permission. I agree with you on that!

Meh, I tried, MS3D for some reason didn't want to import it, at least not with the materials option checked which also doesn't import UV's if it isn't checked.

Been trying to get some .md3 support and a simple .glm importer for Softimage for a while but I can't get any interest from people who have the skill to pull it off.

Meh, I tried, MS3D for some reason didn't want to import it, at least not with the materials option checked which also doesn't import UV's if it isn't checked.

Been trying to get some .md3 support and a simple .glm importer for Softimage for a while but I can't get any interest from people who have the skill to pull it off.

Thanks for trying. What about Blender? It has the feature, I just don't know how to work it.

I had it installed to try out Mr Wonkos plugin but I hated the interface on it so much plus I couldn't get anything to import and at the time there was zero documentation so I uninstalled it. It's stupid to make a program who's interface requires immediate user revision the first time it's used.

That program has a face only a mother could love.

? Just convert the original to GLM. I don't know what you're talking about with overwriting.

Reading the original post usually helps.  -_-

I'm trying to replace the map object Z-95 md3 model with the Episode III Jedi Starfighter model so in SP levels that show Jaden's ship, instead of the Z-95, it will show the Jedi Starfighter.

I took the md3 file of the Jedi Starfighter from MBII that was used on the Mustafar map and used that to replace the z-95 but it crashes every time it loads any level that has the model. All other levels work fine.

So what I'm trying to do is convert the GLM file from the original mod linked above to MD3 since apparently the MBII one didn't work.

It works if the original is a misc_model_static or a model2 entry of an entity or something along those lines. You can't replace a misc_model, however, because they go straight to the .bsp. So yeah, the first step would be simply swapping it for another existing md3 to see if it can be changed at all.

• Solution

It works if the original is a misc_model_static or a model2 entry of an entity or something along those lines. You can't replace a misc_model, however, because they go straight to the .bsp. So yeah, the first step would be simply swapping it for another existing md3 to see if it can be changed at all.

Well I tried a different md3 like you said and it worked fine. So it must be the one I want is messed up for some reason. Any ideas?

EDIT: I found another MD3 of it from a different map. It worked perfectly! Thanks for the thoughts and help guys.