Bullets being seen through walls

I posted this in my Prequel Conversion thread but I need people to help me as soon as possible.

I'm using blue bullet effects from some Clone trooper mod from awhile back that I edited and played around with. I love the blue glow it gives. One issue I have is when the repeater is shot, the bullets can be seen through walls. It's very strange.

shot0008_zps1b62cb7e.jpg

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm not too keen on editing effects and all that, so I probably messed it up somehow.

This is weird. There is no shader...

I believe there would be a shader. Every image file the game uses in an .efx file I'm pretty sure has to pass through a shader. Like say the inside the .efx for the clone rifle bolt it uses the image "gfx/effects/bluebolt.jpg" then you'll want to look for the shader that bluebolt.jpg uses.

I believe there would be a shader. Every image file the game uses in an .efx file I'm pretty sure has to pass through a shader. Like say the inside the .efx for the clone rifle bolt it uses the image "gfx/effects/bluebolt.jpg" then you'll want to look for the shader that bluebolt.jpg uses.

Exactly. There is no shader that has that anywhere. I keep looking but alas, there is none.

Maybe I should try to make one? What should I put in it?

EDIT: I even tried using a different efx file but the same images and it still does it. So it might be the images themselves...

I'm pretty sure the image won't even show up as selectable in EffectsEd without the shader, as I think the list of images you choose from is actually shader's names IIRC. I'm pretty sure the game wouldn't want to display anything if there was no shader period, if that's even what's causing the see-through walls effect.

Upload your .efx, images for that .efx, and your shaders folder and see if we can't find it, if it does have a shader.

I looked through your shaders. The shader we want is for the gfx/effects/clone_blob.tga but I can't find the shader, it doesn't seem to be there anywhere, at least in the files you gave me. That may be the problem, if there's no shader for that image that might be why it doesn't display correctly in game.

Add this in one of your shader files:

gfx/effects/clone_blob
{
    cull    twosided
    {
        map gfx/effects/clone_blob
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        alphaGen vertex
    }
}

Should work, thats the same shader used for the blaster blob.

Circa likes this

Add this in one of your shader files:

gfx/effects/clone_blob

{

cull    twosided

{

map gfx/effects/clone_blob

blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA

alphaGen vertex

}

}

Should work, thats the same shader used for the blaster blob.

Worked great thanks! I tried looking for the original blaster blob shader in the assets and couldn't even find it. Thanks for that.

Now I have another issue, though I know its probably not the shader issue.

When the repeater is being fired by the player, it looks fine, but when it's fired by an NPC, it doesn't come out of the barrel of the gun. It comes out the head of the NPC. Not sure why. It couldn't be the gun model could it, since it's fine on the player in third person. It's not the NPC model because I tried multiple.

shot0002_zpsd90063c5.jpg

Sorry for the questions.

When the repeater is being fired by the player, it looks fine, but when it's fired by an NPC, it doesn't come out of the barrel of the gun. It comes out the head of the NPC. Not sure why. It couldn't be the gun model could it, since it's fine on the player in third person. It's not the NPC model because I tried multiple.

Yes it could. First person and third person use different models. Check if it works with the default model.

I just tested this ingame with just the repeater effect (I don't use gun mods) and it also comes from the head.  I think it's caused by an error in the projectile.efx itself but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Nevermind.  Just tested again and looked at the player this time, and like you said the bolt from the player is perfect.  Strange.

Could be the code that's wonky.

Wouldn't that affect the default effects then?

Actually I think you're right. I tried it with other effects and it does the same thing. Maybe that's why the default effect for the repeater are little glowing balls instead of laser bullets.

Could be the code that's wonky.

Well, I've played "Survival Mod II: Revenge of the Droids" from jk2files, an SP mod that uses clone NPCs with repeaters replaced with clone rifles and all the appropriate effects, and I don't remember there being any issues with it, so I doubt it's the code for the repeater weapon.

therfiles likes this

Well, I've played "Survival Mod II: Revenge of the Droids" from jk2files, an SP mod that uses clone NPCs with repeaters replaced with clone rifles and all the appropriate effects, and I don't remember there being any issues with it, so I doubt it's the code for the repeater weapon.

I remember that mod. I never even really noticed this problem before making this mod though. It can't be the effects because I've tried multiple. I've tried with the base model. Nothing fixes it besides removing it. Which I don't want to do.

EDIT: Now that I look at the screenshots to that mod, I think that's where I got my original effects.

EDIT AGAIN:

Son of a gun. I used the effects from that mod and they look fine. Well that solved my problem, but it's going to drive me crazy not knowing why my effects did that.