Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast source code released!!

Also: styles have been possible for a long time, see JKG's .stance file system.

I've known about mp being able to get styles. I refer to SP for my enthusism! I'm willing to work with mp and others, but when it comes to what I play I stick to sp only.

^This brings up an interesting point. I'd suggest (though I don't see this happening) that the entirey community maintain ONE code branch for the core game. Individual mods can fork off as necessary, but this way all benefit from having everything at their disposal.

This was the original idea of Open Jedi Projet (OJP), which I'd be willing to join again if we start it back up.

@@eezstreet - true. I've been looking at the source myself. There are definitely some Xbox dependencies missing, though they may be part of the XDK. I assume with much of it, though, that the Vicarious Visions fork just got merged in during development and the commented out. Admittedly I have a side-agenda of wanting to see a newer build of the game on the Xbox, but I suppose I'll have to maintain that build if I wanted to do something like that.

^I had a feeling you were wanting to get into modding the console version since you did the same with SWBF2, though to me console versions seemed very limited as to what you could do but perhaps it's more of a challenge.

I play too much MP to be interested in console though, PC games always have the best multiplayer, way more player slots equals more fun.

Yeah, I like the challenge, but mostly I like the idea of giving console players something PC players get. Well, that and the fact that it's been so long since I've used a mouse and keyboard that I don't know that I'd be any good any more.

No one saw it coming. It's most unexpected. However the possibility of release of the source code of any SW game dates back to the days of Dark Forces 2, I think. I also remember as people wanted The Phantom Menace video game code to be released, but to no avail. 

I am no coder, so my skills in looking through the JA code archive and learning from it are insufficient. I started a thread regarding the understanding the code both by professionals and those, who simply devoted themselves to JA as fans or modders. Perhaps it's pointless, but nevertheless if you have any ideas about the codes you've checked, please, post them there or here please. ;)  It's worth reading such things.

What would be amazing is if people made a SP mod that remakes the official games for the Star Wars movies. Like remake the old Episode I game (which is very similar to JK), and make it for the whole saga. I would pee my pants if that happened. Lucasarts never made good movie-based games besides Episode I and Episode III. Lego Star Wars was the closest thing.

It's no fun story wise, you know how it ends, better to make side stories of events that are spoken of in the movies but not shown, like Shadows of the Empire for instance.

Yeah I'd like to see some updates to the Assimilate program, mainly just automated .skin file generation to work properly. Also reworking carcass so that it accepts dotXSI 6.0 files, that way all versions of Softimage, 3ds Max and Maya will be able to be used for modeling and animation as they once were back in the day.

It's no fun story wise, you know how it ends, better to make side stories of events that are spoken of in the movies but not shown, like Shadows of the Empire for instance.

Yeah I'd like to see some updates to the Assimilate program, mainly just automated .skin file generation to work properly. Also reworking carcass so that it accepts dotXSI 6.0 files, that way all versions of Softimage, 3ds Max and Maya will be able to be used for modeling and animation as they once were back in the day.

That would be cool too, which is how the Episode I game was like. It had a lot more things to do that could have happened in between scenes from the movie. Including Shadows of the Empire would be pretty epic as well.

Hey everyone, found this site from Reddit.com. I've been a huge, huge fan of the JKO and JKA series. It's been a great part of my teenage years and I've always felt it in the heart strings when nothing more came of them. I've super thrilled to hear this... But what exactly does this open source now mean for the game? Could someone explain it in layman's terms? Thanks! 

Hey everyone, found this site from Reddit.com. I've been a huge, huge fan of the JKO and JKA series. It's been a great part of my teenage years and I've always felt it in the heart strings when nothing more came of them. I've super thrilled to hear this... But what exactly does this open source now mean for the game? Could someone explain it in layman's terms? Thanks! 

Improved graphics. All mods are required to be opensourced. ICARUS/Ghoul2 are open sourced. BehavEd and ModView can be ported to Mac now. The game can be ported to a variety of platforms. Bugfixes to the engine can be done. SP is able to be modded now, since it's open sourced too. Improved networking. Improved controller support. Improved sound systems. Basically anything imaginable. You can also distribute mods as fully-fledged games, provided there are no base JA assets in the game. There's a ton more, but basically think of this as a one-way ticket to code anything imaginable in the game. Literally.

I had a feeling Mike Gummelt was gonna drop by eventually, you can even see those files being used for screenshots of my old Star Viper vehicle.

You should submit both Asteroids and Siege Destroyer on this site, the bad thing about Gamefront is that it blocks a lot of countries, one of the main reasons for the relocation of the JK commumity.

@@changkhan heya, I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up. :P

Any chance at the original map source getting released? Also, DT mentioned lack of carcass and it would appear that ModView is out of date as well.

Personally, as a mapper, I wouldn't mind seeing the original map source released for both Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. At this point I'm not sure if Ravensoft still has the source, or if they even have permission to distribute that material.