Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast source code released!!

What sort of assets did you have in mind?

Everything ;) The point of openArena (based on the Q3-sourcecode) was to recreate all assets that are in the game so you were able to release the game for free without people suing you (coz the code is opensource, but the assets (maps, models, gfx etc) are not,)

JK2: HD ;)

The code was officially released, yes. I've been talking with James for a long time, and he sorta randomly (sorta not) emailed me with the news after redsaurus/I bothered him about ModView source :P

I'm talking with Raven to see if I'm allowed to publicly post the official JK2 script, and see if I can get the map source and carcass/behaved/stringed/assimilate source code.

The official JACoders fork of the code is hosted on GitHub, and I will be committing my changes to SP

within a few days (currently SP doesn't compile, but it's fixable).

katanamaru likes this

Okay time to start thinking up things I want to get done.

Reanimate both backhand styles transitions, reanimate shield style's transitions.

Fix bug in JA SP where if you have a gun or holstered weapon and use two-handed lighting it doesn't play the loop animation.

Things I'll need:

Ability to add saber styles to the game for single, dual, and staff.

Ability to use a saber in one hand and a gun in the left.

Things I want:

Working sp vehicles.

Ability to make vehicles npcs so I can "transform" into one via playermodel command and key binding.

See my avatar :)

Did I mention the styles I'd like to make?

2 new staff styles; blue (like Maul in Ep 1) and red (like Exar Kun)

Form 2 Makashi with attacks in the transitions. This will be based off my experience in fencing with sabers and arming swords.

A style based off my German longsword system.

One more dual style. Probably blue so you'll attack with one and cover yourself with another.

2 saber and gun styles.

*Remove Xbox crap

*Teancum from Gametoast here. I wanted to make a quick comment on this, being a developer (outside the game industry) for several years.

Seems totally pointless. It's embedded over 100 times in the source, and it doesn't hurt anything to keep it in. I'd recommend just leaving it alone. Pulling it will be an aboslute ton more trouble than it's worth, and will likely accidentally break many things along the way.

This is so cool, but I can't help but worry you guys are going to want to turn the whole game inside out...

I mean, being able to edit the code is cool, but I'm worried everyone will just be like "screw regular JA/JO!", let's just make our own new game/version of it and nobody will play it anymore...

Anyone else feel the same way?

Circa and TheDoctor like this

OpenJK is still the exact same game. We're working to keep the game as unchanged as possible, aside from the bug fixes and slight aesthetics. I think the only two major changes are the removal of the .str system (in favor of something better), and allowing JKA and JK2 to be able to be run on the same executable.

@@Teancum: The Xbox code is relatively useless, and serves absolutely no purpose being in the files. I'd say remove it, as it can't be compiled anyway.

OpenJK is still the exact same game. We're working to keep the game as unchanged as possible, aside from the bug fixes and slight aesthetics. I think the only two major changes are the removal of the .str system (in favor of something better), and allowing JKA and JK2 to be able to be run on the same executable.

@@Teancum: The Xbox code is relatively useless, and serves absolutely no purpose being in the files. I'd say remove it, as it can't be compiled anyway.

I get where you're coming from -- but it's all interweaved and will likely break things along the way, whereas simply not bothering it will allow you to move forward without having to fix things. And on the subject of compiling, that's incorrect. The original XDK (technically) is floating around the web, and VS2003 can be used to compile the code, which incidentally is probably the version the PC build was done on as well. It may compile easier there rather than a new build of Visual Studio as dependencies have changed.

^Fair enough. I mean, I don't have any problem with people using the code to make their own games or whatevs, it'd just disappoint me to see JA abandoned for stuff like that, is all I'm saying.

Agreed. The idea of such is great, but with JK so cheap it seems best not to try and split the community.

So does this mean that mods such as MBII or other projects will be able to move on from the many bugs that they have? Also actually become a seperate game to Jedi Academy as intended? Or how about JA+ move up in the world in some way?

Non-coder right here.

^This brings up an interesting point. I'd suggest (though I don't see this happening) that the entirey community maintain ONE code branch for the core game. Individual mods can fork off as necessary, but this way all benefit from having everything at their disposal.