Still using your disc copy?

MagSul

Disc Copy Vs. Steam  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Still using your disc copy?

• I play using Steam.
    • I still use my discs.
    • I use virtual images

I still use the discs. From what I've read there are a few issues regarding the Steam version. I've also read that you can just change your Steam game's launch options so that it loads a mod properly, without having to rename files, however it seems like that's something you'd have to change every time you want to run a different mod, which if that's the case, would be annoying to do.

I use the Mac App Store version. There is no option for that, but that's okay.

When I had Windows, I used a virtual disc image. Then I got a "no cd" crack that allowed the game to play without a disk at all.

I'm wary of the steam version, I've heard of some bugs and limitations that the disc version doesn't have.

I'm super organized, I never lost my discs, same copy from when the game was released, the big cardboard box and book though are packed away in storage, even still have that much and not just the jewel case.

On a side note, DF2: Jedi Knight, JK: Mysteries of the Sith and JK2: Jedi Outcast (which I'm playing on knight diff atm) are all in original CD form with cases.

Circa, katanamaru and Darth_Spock like this

I still use the original disks for all my games. I LIKE physical ownership, heck I even bought an old abandon-ware game on ebay I could have downloaded for free legally, (oringinal manual was a plus.)

What's up with people and scratched discs? You guys must not take very good care of your belongings, I have original PS and PC games from the time of release and they're still flawless.

I always take care of my stuff, but my Jedi Academy game ended up ultra scratched, still works, but it prompted me to clone a backup. My best guess is that unlike my other games, I used it so much, and since it was the only thing at  the time that needed the disk, I would leave it in my cd drive 24/7, even when powered down. In hindsight that was probably a bad idea. I remember the whhhhrrrbzzzzzfffftttt of the drive spinning to a halt every night lol.

Circa likes this

I still have my original box and discs, which work fine and are scratch-free along with several copies of Disc 1 I made for LAN games, but ever since building my fileserver it's easier to just mount ISO's from the network so I ripped the discs and use the image.  Haven't played for years but with the source drop I reinstalled and hope this game sees a resurgence in popularity.  I'd love to play it on my Linux media server/TV PC.

I always keep my disks organised, and not a single scratch on ANY of mygames for PC, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2 or Gamecube. I always prefer disk copies over digital copies, because the smell of a new game being taken out of the shrink wrap is always nice, and I also have a limited amount of bandwidth, so downloading games would use it up quickly.

Circa likes this

What's up with people and scratched discs? You guys must not take very good care of your belongings, I have original PS and PC games from the time of release and they're still flawless.

Bad CD drives can scratch them up, as well as simply setting them on a desk and accidentally bumping it a few centimeters.

Kind of funny, I dug out my copied disc labeled "JA 1" and it actually had a hole in it (shipping damage). But it still started the game just fine.

I've got both the Steam copy and the disk version. It's actually kind of nice having two installs - I use my disk installation for modding and testing, whereas my steam version is for actual playing. That way I don't have to move any pk3 files around to get rid of partial or experimental mods any time I want to play MP.

've got both the Steam copy and the disk version. It's actually kind of nice having two installs - I use my disk installation for modding and testing, whereas my steam version is for actual playing. That way I don't have to move an pk3 files around to get rid of partial or experimental mods any time I want to play MP.

That's not a bad idea.  :huh: