Fixing the dotXSI 3.0 Exporter for 3ds Max...

Plugin Update:

Here is the modified export dialog where I added the option for a Scene Root Name (this will allow other games/programs to use whatever root scene name they need for their game compilers, etc.-- because they don't all use "model_root").  Default is set to "model_root".

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/56/3dsmaxdotxsiexportoptio.png

This morning I fixed the mesh to align with the skeleton when "Reorient scene" is unchecked (i.e., leave the model in 3dsMax coordinates and don't rotate to be upright in XSI coordinates... this leaves the model face down and the model_root represents the XSI coordinate system with +Y up). 

MODView screenshot:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3026/reorientunchecked.jpg

...and here is a MODView screenshot of results with "Reorient scene" checked:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2432/reorientchecked.jpg

So again, we'll have a beta version soon for folks to test...

Here's a pic using the original max 6/7/8 exporter:

ghghghh.th.jpg

The original exporter rotated all of the bones -90 degrees, generated a bad scene root which JKA cannot use and did not output any basepose (bindpose/skinpose) data which is why the model is all over the place.

Now using our new exporter:

djhjjfjfhhgh.th.jpg

Exported bones are fixed how they should be, it generates a proper scene root called model_root and outputs correct basepose (bindpose/skinpose) data.

Archangel35757 and Psyk0Sith like this

just tested the max 6 plugin :

worked great for me me , I successfully exported v2 of my doviculus model using your exporter

and I didn't encounter any issues yet but I doubt there are any as the model looks allright in modview

is it capable of exporting animations yet ? If so I'll test that aswell

By Max 10... do you mean Max 2008 or Max 2010? Because after version 9 they started going by years... I can try-- it mainly depends on how drastic the SDK changes are between Max versions that could break the plugin code and require more effort to fix.

(Off topic) However, Blur Studios released a plugin that enables Python scripting support that works back to Max 2009-- and so for the later versions we might just try and implement Mr. Wonko's GLM/GLA Python scripts for Blender in 3dsMax.

I soemtimes suffer from bad wireless lan , you know I got a sepperate room under the roof ,2 stories above the router

depending on weather and interference I get pretty crappy rates

or can't connect at all

it's done now though , so lemme fire up max

EDIT :

I got the feeling I downloaded the wrong plugin.....

p1grIrJ.png?1?2949

I'll check the installer for additional stuff

EDIT 2 : nope nothing

probably version 5.0 was the wrong one

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13525184&linkID=12544121

but I doubt it

I just tried the most recent and it's also piece of crap, not surprising coming from autodesk. It just sits there doing nothing / trying to export what would normaly take 2 seconds but it's stuck there for infinity @ 75%, plus it only exports dotXSI 6.0. Useless.

It's possible the capabilities of the Crosswalk SDK, and the Crosswalk plugin for Max are different. I would recommend you try Crosswalk 5 because as I understand it, the plugin (which you are writing if I'm correct) chooses how to export the scene data, and in what format to output it as. Looking through the SDK files, there's files for the dotXSI 3.0 format which I doubt were left in there by mistake.