Fixing the dotXSI 3.0 Exporter for 3ds Max...

The dotXSI 3.0 exporter for 3dsMax 2013 is now fixed... exporting morph animations work.  Filenames with spaces now are acceptable.  Also, batch export has also been fixed.  It should be good to go... will send to @@DT85 so he can check it out in 3ds Max 2014 and then I'll upload a beta version to the File > Utilities section.  :winkthumb:

The only downside is that it won't be possible to compile a 32-bit version for 3ds Max 2013 and up.  The last 32-bit version will be for 3dsMax 2012 (when I go back and recompile all the others).  The problem is that the Crosswalk 2013 SDK was compiled using an earlier version of Visual Studio... whereas 3ds Max 2013 was compiled with VS 2010 SP1 and that was part of the reason for my crashes... and Crosswalk 2014 is only for 64-bit.  I will try to compile a 2015 version soon.  But that's the end of the road I'm afraid... Autodesk has told me that Crosswalk will likely cease to be after v2015. 

We'll need @@Xycaleth to get his FBX converter fully functional for animations, etc. after that.  

DT85 likes this

@@Archangel35757

Well the last 3ds Max 32bit version was 2013 I believe, 2014 is 64bit only. Well that sucks about Crosswalk, but understandable seeing as they are dumping XSI.

EDIT:

Managed to batch export 14 files successfully, and the animation I tested with before still is identical to what is produced using 2011.

@@DT85 -- Thanks!  I will try and compile a 32-bit version using the old Softimage XSIFTK (it has worked for all the previous versions-- maybe it will work for Max2013 as well).

UPDATE:  ( @@AshuraDX ) Ok... with a little setup, I was able to get the Max 2013 source code to compile against the legacy Softimage Win32 XSIFTK.  I will email this to a couple of folks to beta test. :winkthumb:

Hiro found a flaw in the 2013 exporter... I failed to catch scene nodes (objects) that have spaces in their name... it's an easy fix. Also @@AshuraDX said the2013 32-bit version causes Max to error & close after export. I think the reason is again incompatability with the older version of visual studio used to compile the XSIFTK.lib DLL.

I think I have a solution in mind...

@@DT85 -- Sent the fixed 64-bit exporter to you, Hiro, and @@Psyk0Sith...

I also sent the latest 32-bit Max2013 version to @@AshuraDX to beta test...  I compiled this new 32-bit version against a very old version of the XSIFTK that embeds the XSICore.lib and XSIFtk.lib directly into the plugin and thus no need for an XSIFtk.dll.  I hope it works... :winkthumb:

Please post your results!

DT85 likes this

Update:  The 32-bit version of the 3ds Max 2013 dotXSI 3.0 Exporter (v1.8 Beta) has been submitted to the Utilities section and it awaiting approval.  :winkthumb:

3ds Max 2013 is the last version to support 32-bit.  In the coming months I will compile a version for 3ds Max 2015 x64.  So I would recommend keeping your 2014 (or under...) version installed...

If you're using these dotXSI plugins-- how about some reviews/ratings? ;)

Feedback is always welcome...

@@Psyk0Sith and @@DT85 -- when I go back to fix Max 6 thru Max 2011 plugins for the "filename spaces" issue... I'm thinking of making a couple of changes to carry thru all versions in their final compilation and release...

...which are:

1. Rather than require the Material Editor name to be the relative path to the texture file.  Implement an export option that specifies part of path to ignore and get the remaining texture path.  @@DT85 -- Didn't you do something like this in the MD3 exporters?
  2. Add a code snippet to delete the empty file when the user aborts/cancels the export process from the Progress Bar.

Can you guys think of any other desirable changes?

Did you install crosswalk 3.3?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-crosswalk.html

This is the one you need:

http://download.autodesk.com/esd/softimage/2009/setup_Crosswalk_3.3_windows.exe

What's probably missing is a microsoft redist package contained within crosswalk, that same problem happened when i reinstalled windows and we couldn't find the proper redist on microsoft's website, the problem was solved when i re-installed crosswalk 3.3.

Every dotXSI exporter I have uploaded includes the necessary XSI or Crosswalk DLL. The readme file also provides installation instructions.

You should NOT have to install Crosswalk itself. Read the included instructions again.

From your error screenshot above it appears you are trying to install the wrong version of the exporter into 3dsMax 2014. Please confirm the version of 3dsMax you are trying to use.

Every dotXSI exporter I have uploaded includes the necessary XSI or Crosswalk DLL. The readme file also provides installation instructions.

You should NOT have to install Crosswalk itself. Read the included instructions again.

From your error screenshot above it appears you are trying to install the wrong version of the exporter into 3dsMax 2014. Please confirm the version of 3dsMax you are trying to use.

OH. What a stupid mistake, haha. I'm so used to grabbing the 2010/2011 exporter, I totally forgot I had upgraded when I got a 64-bit system...

OH. What a stupid mistake, haha. I'm so used to grabbing the 2010/2011 exporter, I totally forgot I had upgraded when I got a 64-bit system...

I would recommend that you uninstall Crosswalk 3.3 (since it doesn't work for Max2014) and then download and install the dotXSI exporter for Max 2013 x64... read the instructions. :winkthumb:

Boothand likes this