Fixing the dotXSI 3.0 Exporter for 3ds Max...

I bet you'd be able to convert this plugin to Maya. There's different ways of doing things for Maya plugins that you'd need to change, but I reckon you could figure it out.

Will you think about it? Could be cool. :D

I bet you'd be able to convert this plugin to Maya. There's different ways of doing things for Maya plugins that you'd need to change, but I reckon you could figure it out.

Will you think about it? Could be cool. :D

I think it would be easier to make a standalone dotXSI 6.0 to dotXSI 3.0 converter utility. Presently, I'm still working on the Max2013 Unicode conversion.

By the way, @@minilogoguy18 -- I have the dotXSI exchange for Maya 6.5, 7.0, and 8.0 -- but it is compiled Object code and not the actual source code ( I don't think that actual source code was ever released). So I'm not sure how useful it is... @@Xycaleth & @@eezstreet -- can c++ object files be decompiled back to source code or anything useful?

DT85 likes this

@@DT85 -- I downloaded them years ago. No, I don't think it is that simple. These are C++ Object files... compiled from the source code. Like the 3ds Max dotXSI source code-- each .cpp file gets compiled into an Object file. The linking stage takes these Object files and builds the final executable or DLL. So we're talking about old Maya versions 6.5, 7.0, 8.0... that's like saying I'll take the Max6 Object files and build them into a Max2013 plugin-- it won't work.

Best you could do is determine the latest version of Maya that uses the same SDK as Maya 8.0.

It's too bad someone didn't grab that source code from the old Softimage website.

You can see the original web pages for the dotXSI exchange for both Max and Maya in the Internet Wayback Machine-- and the download links-- from what I can see there was only ever the object code that was made available and I have that.

After I finish my character rig I will attempt to create a dotXSI 6 to dotXSI 3 standalone converter. I also want to make a dotXSI 1.1 to dotXSI 3.0 converter.

And I still have my dotXSI Importer plugin project for 3dsMax... which is still a WIP.

You can't download the xchange for Maya from softimage using Wayback as there's a form to fill out and the process halts at that point.

LoL, yes I know that... I was just saying that you can see the webpage as it originally was with it's download links.

I just captured their original FAQ regarding the dotXSI4Max plugin source code.

From what I can tell... it appears to me that only the object code was ever made available for Maya and not the original source code.

I downloaded the Maya 6.5, 7.5, and 8.0 object code from the softimage site years ago.

You should create a fork of Xycaleth's FBX 2 GLM and input the dotXSI format. Sure it currently doesn't handle animation yet, but you could be implementing dotXSI while Xycaleth works on rend2. Don't forget, assimilate has dotXSI import code you could pinch. :P