So I'm back and a little bored...

I picked up JA again recently and I'm playing through some of the mods I love.

This also got me to think about trying to make some new animations, but I don't really have any ideas at the moment.

So what are some simple-ish animations that people would like to see? Feel free to ask for anything, just be aware that I'm not guaranteeing I'll take them all up.

Mini: I'll try your tools out if you can give me the specs required to run them. My laptop is from '05 and not that powerful.

I've read some post that reference SP modding. Can anybody elaborate on the extent of coding that can be done please? I'm mainly looking for the spin transitions between saber attacks to be changed into non-spin transitions. If this is possible I'll consider finishing up the Link style and redoing ALL the spin transitions of the 7 saber styles!

If adding styles is possible...OMG hold onto your butts!

Quick note: I don't make cutscene, taunt, or other non-gameplay animaitons. I'm only interested in animtions that are seen/used during the actual game.

Master Ridley and Mandalorian like this

The roll was to hide a bug with the animation ending and going to the medium stance right away regardless of what the player was doing. Someone (QuiJohn) worked on a new one. Since I don't play MP I wouldn't be able to test it reliably so for now it's a no go. BUT if Minilogoguy's tools work I may still give it a try. So I'm not totally dismissing the idea. I just may need some volunteers to test it.

I wouldn't mind volunteering for that. Another one popped into my head just recently, too. I'm not an overall fan of the walking animation. To me, it looks a little stiff and unnatural. I'm finding it difficult putting it into words on how to improve upon it, but a tinker with that would be great to see.

I've done plenty of walking animations. The default one's only problem for me was the arms are a little too far out. The walk I use is more like the run I did that is based off the original JK.

Now the staff and dual's walking animations: *hurl*

Those last two hadn't occurred to me. I always stick to standard lightsabers. Now that you mention it, those two could definitely do with an overwrite!

Circa likes this

Maybe some running with a blaster ? better shooting for rifles? if messed around a lot with changing  animations thru cfg but it just is so annoying when they are slightly off and you don't quite know how to animate effectively .

better kyle mellee
cover to use to replace force dodge?

a different stance profile completely when holding rifles. breathing animation for idle rifle

if you could change all those mentioned styles, what to? maybe like some kickass short range weapon moves from someone who has lots of short range wicked weapons and no way to use them.{ I could add the efx to animevents}

some different gauntlet animations.

If i was a jedi and had mind powers to persuade you to do this awesome act, I would.

Two things recently happened that make SP modding far easier, especially in the case of sabers:

- The Mac binaries were discovered to have the symbols preserved in them (which makes mapping FAR easier, since you can see the exact names, arguments, and even some variable names... I'll explain in a moment)

- w_saber.cpp was recovered independently from the main source forks

The Disney acquisition has me nervous about hacking further. Reason being that the source code can be recompiled in such a way that mods are more possible with fs_game, making whatever proxies I can do completely obsolete.

My advice: wait until Disney releases Episode 7, and then pester Disney for it. Raven Software has the source code packed up and ready to go. The transition from LA->Disney muddies the waters, but chances are good that they'll release it if things go good.

Speaking of code edits, I've been able to do simple ones so far, which increase in complexity. Most complex things I've done so far in JK2 can be seen in my thread in the WIP section. With that stuff being in JK2, I don't have such amenities as a complete gentity_t. I did however manage to port my controller support to it just fine, and added PS3 support to boot.

Concerning symbols - Every DLL compiled uses a set of symbols to link things together properly. Most DLLs link by addresses. A few link by "ordinals". These are assigned numbers, e.g. jagamex86.#10687. Very rarely, they link by the actual names of the functions. This is /incredibly/ helpful, since you can figure out how entire systems work. With enough painstaking work, you can reconstruct an entire SDK. That's a LOT of work though. I'd be tempted to do it though depending on how much of the Mac source is able to be useful.

/me pesters @@redsaurus to give me the binaries in question

Depends on what you mean by"cool" code edits anyway.

Fighter and Circa like this

Hey man, it works, check out the link in my sig to see how.

One of the really good things about Softimage is that it can run really well on low end machines, ones that 3ds max may lock up in under the same circumstances. If you have windows live messenger (MSN) you can find my contact info in my profile, feel free to contact me. The video tutorial goes over the basic controls of the rig, exporting and compiling. Basic usage of Softimage isn't covered since I'd be beating a dead horse on that part but I did provide links to 2 youtube channels that will cover the basics and stuff even more advanced if you wanted to make your own rig on say a custom npc or walker type vehicle.

I've also been making improvements here and there on the biped rig, an update may come soon, was mainly working on better face and hand controls.

The walking animations for dual and staff sabers are atrocious. I always replace them with the normal walk.

Same with the running animation for staff. I just make it use the normal run.

The prefix's seen in the animation.cfg are pretty self explanatory why. The animations.h file will help also, it's possible to change it so that it uses a BOTH animation rather than UPPER

Hey man, it works, check out the link in my sig to see how.

One of the really good things about Softimage is that it can run really well on low end machines, ones that 3ds max may lock up in under the same circumstances. If you have windows live messenger (MSN) you can find my contact info in my profile, feel free to contact me. The video tutorial goes over the basic controls of the rig, exporting and compiling. Basic usage of Softimage isn't covered since I'd be beating a dead horse on that part but I did provide links to 2 youtube channels that will cover the basics and stuff even more advanced if you wanted to make your own rig on say a custom npc or walker type vehicle.

I've also been making improvements here and there on the biped rig, an update may come soon, was mainly working on better face and hand controls.

The prefix's seen in the animation.cfg are pretty self explanatory why. The animations.h file will help also, it's possible to change it so that it uses a BOTH animation rather than UPPER

I was always told it wasn't possible...  :blink:

This game is old as fuck, I say hack it til it's unrecognizable. I couldn't see how anyone could possibly care anymore.

It's just SW themed SoF2.

Agreed. Especially now that Disney has the reigns, they aren't going to care even more than Lucasarts.

Why? Worst thing that could conceivably to happen is a cease & desist.Where'd you get the saber code?

I'm worried that my efforts would be wasted, is all. Disney is historically more lenient iirc with these kinds of matters.

I don't reveal my sources, as that would endanger people's jobs.

This game is old as fuck, I say hack it til it's unrecognizable. I couldn't see how anyone could possibly care anymore.

It's just SW themed SoF2.

Raven I think is concerned with Ghoul 2 being more or less ripped from them, but only in a vague sense, and as a previous post of mine has demonstrated, they don't really care and to an extent support it. Raven has been quite helpful in fact.

Funny you should mention SoF2 and JKA in the same sentence, especially pertaining to anims. A lot of the SoF2 anims (most glaringly, the death ones) were ported to JKA, and the code still references the ladder animations (and you can replace them for all new anims too in SP (!!))

Note: Random level generation was ported from SoF2 to JKA, and with a little trickery, you can get it to work in SP. MP requires code edits but a former Raven employee got it to work apparently. Too bad nobody's taken advantage of it yet. (Hint. For coders: See MAX_TERRAIN. See the terrain ent and how SoF2 does it)

Master Ridley likes this

The walking animations for dual and staff sabers are atrocious. I always replace them with the normal walk.

Same with the running animation for staff. I just make it use the normal run.

I just noticed this, lmk if you want my _humanoid.gla that has the run staff that I made for demonstration in the animation video tutorial, didn't release it since it was just for example.

I just noticed this, lmk if you want my _humanoid.gla that has the run staff that I made for demonstration in the animation video tutorial, didn't release it since it was just for example.

I've always just changed it to the single saber running animation. Thanks though!

The normal run puts the second blade in the ground though.

I'll look at pulling out my gun animations and putting them together. I'll see if they have breathing animations too.

The cover as a replace to the "use + A/D" dodge sounds neat. I'll ponder that.

I have two different rifle animations. One is a less recoil one that is good for repeaters and E-11's. The second has more recoil and is better with conc's and flachettes.

Are people interested in new runs and walks for the dual and staffs? Give some suggestions if you are. Otherwise I'll use the ones I like. The staff is based off the one in the JK mod Saber Battle X by ShadowX.

I'll get the dl from your link this weekend. Little know fact: I don't have the internet at my apartment. So I get it from friends and family. So uploads and downloads will depend on the weekend.

Mandalorian likes this
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is my roughdraft of the dodge:

Standing in place

shot0287.jpg

Now to take cover

shot0288.jpg

It is buggy so don't worry about that (like the gun position.)

I'm going to go ahead and work on this. I'll make the player move about two more body lengths to the side, or more if people want.

It isn't perfect for cover because of the way JA handles the dodge. Mechanically you MUST stand still. Then you can hold 'use' and A and D to cover. If you shoot while in cover the character will start strafing in the direction you are holding. So you MUST let go of the A or D, make your shots, and then go back into cover.

There is only one dodge animation so pistols and rifles will all be held the same way. I've got a more neutral cover stance planned now.

Interesting idea popped in my head right now! What if instead of D being cover right it is cover left? That seems backward, but if you press shoot you will move out of cover firing. And A would be cover right.

Ponder this. I'll do it either way.

Circa and Mandalorian like this