[Map] Starship

Hey there, everyone!

So I've been tinkering around in GTKRadiant during a few spare hours over the last day or two and as a result I've gotten myself started on a new project! I figured, why not share how it's coming along? This is a map set aboard a starship, something which I've always wanted to have a swing at. The initial inspiration was derived from the Jedi Defender (the Jedi Knight's vessel) in the Old Republic. As development comes along, a lot is going to change that'll separate it from that origin. Before you take a look at the screenshots, take into account that obviously this is a steady work-in-progress, and don't mind how places are lit for the time being. Remember that not a great deal of time has been put forth into this quite yet. I'm really enjoying working on this so far and with a lot more free time this week, here's hoping I'm able to buckle down and get this out there!

In it's current state, there's not a great deal to share, but here's what I've been able to put together so far:

shot0000gd.jpg

shot0001m.jpg

shot0002dv.jpg

shot0003ad.jpg

shot0004il.jpg

shot0005nk.jpg

shot0006zf.jpg

shot0007mn.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I really appreciate it. (@@OmegaSigma) There's a distinct lack of them, I've always felt. The same can be said for space stations, I think. As a role-player, it's a huge advantage to have something like this which you can modify as and when you need to. I've toyed with the idea of doing a wrecked/drifting through space version when I'm through with the initial build. We'll debate on that one when we're finished, as that's a little premature for now. I've had a few other ideas for this as well, but I'll try and avoid getting ahead of myself by making promises I can't possibly hope to keep. :P

Meanwhile, I've had a quick tinker. I'm extremely unused to doing circular doors. It was easier when putting together the Hobbit hole map, because the textures worked well with curves. This time around, it's manual clipping. Here's the result:

shot0009fa.jpg

::Insert Obama meme::

(@@MoonDog) Here you go, sir! I shifted the selection so that you can see it better.

circlehm.jpg

Non-shifted version: (Centre circle selected)

circle2p.jpg

Full version:

fullw.jpg

I started out by creating a cylinder, then lowered the grid size and simply cropped it a bit at a time to match it until I had a quarter of it done. After that, I decided just to duplicate it three times and flip/rotate it as necessary to complete the shape, deleting the cylinder afterward. This process was done twice to create the outer circle, and a second time for the larger one which fits in the centre of the whole thing. Each one was duplicated and stretched as necessary to get what I was after, with a quick brush slapped behind the smaller circles to close the gaps between those and the larger circles.

Fuse294 and CaptainChar like this

Magsul, you seem to be making good use of the Byss textures for this project. In my opinion the stairs seem oversized, that is to say, I think the individual steps look a little too tall compared to the player and that since this is a starship I would suggest compressing the stairs rather than having them long and flat like one might do for a temple map. Otherwise this is looking good so far.

Magsul, you seem to be making good use of the Byss textures for this project. In my opinion the stairs seem oversized, that is to say, I think the individual steps look a little too tall compared to the player and that since this is a starship I would suggest compressing the stairs rather than having them long and flat like one might do for a temple map. Otherwise this is looking good so far.

I gave it a go on the first flight of stairs.

shot0000uo.jpg

shot0001jg.jpg

shot0002hh.jpg

What're people's thoughts?  :blink:

It is definitely an improvement, and I do prefer this stair light texture over the other one. You could consider using a different texture for the stair support as 'byss_pillar' looks out of place there.

If you find yourself stuck as to how the stairs should look overall, you could take a look at a few short stairs in t3_byss; and a few tall staircases in JK2's Doomgiver.

It is definitely an improvement, and I do prefer this stair light texture over the other one. You could consider using a different texture for the stair support as 'byss_pillar' looks out of place there.

If you find yourself stuck as to how the stairs should look overall, you could take a look at a few short stairs in t3_byss; and a few tall staircases in JK2's Doomgiver.

I'll consider it and have a poke at it over the weekend. The new stairs are definitely growing on me. I'll see what I can do with the hand rail's as MoonDog suggested, too.

@@MagSul: I was referring to the area you have highlighted in blue but I think you could keep it if you remove the curly bit at the end. On that note, for the green I suggest an indented brush rather than a protruding brush. If you do that you'll have to make the staircase a little wider but the result should be more pleasing to the eye. I also meant that I find the texture you're using for blue/green/yellow ('byss_piller' not 'byss_pillar' >.>) is a rather blotchy texture - textures/byss/byss_basic2.jpg could replace it as a temporary texture, but I suggest you note it and come back to it after you've finished the room.

• 3 weeks later...

MoonDog's also shown me a more efficient way to do those circular doorways. (Compare with Post #8)

starship.jpg

Thank you MoonDog for being awesome. Just saw this thread so I would have suggested the same thing earlier, but looks like I don't have to.

This looks pretty good so far, especially for using the byss texture pack. A lot of people use them in wrong ways. Everyones got my minor critiques so far, I have a few more but I'm not gonna pick till I see some more :P

Hopefully, as extensive as the original source. The last thing I want is to get ahead of myself, but I have considered going as far as constructing a hangar around the vessel when it's finished.

I've spent an hour or so this morning tinkering some more with the cockpit, trying to determine how much space I want, as well as taking a swing at the main controls. Let me know what you think!

shot0001ha.jpg

shot0009ml.jpg

shot0008mu.jpg

Looking at the floor in the bottom shot, I'm tempted to mirror the yellow lights so that they stop just where the controls end. I'll have to have a play and see how the results turn out. :)

Fuse294 and Master Ridley like this
  • 2 months later...