Transparency in TGA files

I've been trying to figure out how to make certain areas of a skin transparent. I know other skins do this, and I've looked everywhere on how but I can't figure it out.

Let's say I'm trying to get rid of the collar on Toshi's Luke Skywalker. How would I do that?

It definitely works with .png (used it a couple of times on my clone skins), never used it with .tga though. Let us know if you run into any more trouble and I'll do my best to help out.

It just makes the transparent areas white. :/

I dunno if this would answer what I did with TGA files, the originals were PNG's but the tutorials called for TGA's

if I recall the TGA is a 24bit + alpha you can open it in photoshop though and verify, I can dig up the original PNG as well, since I kept all my Castle textures archived

This is from my Haunted Graveyard Map

Fence TGA:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?z6hrhqv998gi9qv

textures/graveyard/fence
         {
         Cull none
         qer_editorimage textures/graveyard/fence.tga
         {
         map textures/graveyard/fence.tga
         blendFunc blend
         alphaFunc GT0
         depthWrite
         rgbGen identity
         }
         {
         map $lightmap
         rgbGen identity
         blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
         depthFunc equal
         }
         }

I'm viewing it ingame. Still can't get it to work. I looked at that fence.tga and didn't learn any more than looking at other skin's files.

Oh well. It won't even look good with it transparent anyway. It will have to be remodeled I suppose, which I can't do and nobody does anymore.

eezstreet, on 18 Mar 2013 - 19:39, said:

JKA uses certain colors for transparency only if you have a shader. Otherwise, just use an alpha channel for TGA/PNG

Don't you still have to use a shader when using the alpha channel? Or is the default shader sufficient?

--edit--

Way to answer too late. That was the latest post I read. :D

OmegaSigma, that shader is not useful for models since it references a lightmap, which playermodels don't have. Master_Ibonek, take a look at the shader for Chewie's fur instead, that's transparent as well.

well major kusangi's hair the texture is rather flat, and Im assuming the shader removes the black from the image or the TGA has alpha

models/players/kusanagi/hair
{
 cull disable
    {
        map models/players/kusanagi/hair.tga
        alphaFunc GE192
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
}

well major kusangi's hair the texture is rather flat, and Im assuming the shader removes the black from the image or the TGA has alpha

models/players/kusanagi/hair

{

cull disable

{

map models/players/kusanagi/hair.tga

alphaFunc GE192

rgbGen lightingDiffuse

}

}

Still crashes.

I've got this feeling the problem is your file, not the shader.

I don't know why that would be the case.

Oh well. I'm not that determined to get it. I realized it would look bad without remodeling anyway. Thanks for the help anyway.

Because no matter what shader you use, it doesn't seem to work. So the shader can't be the problem, right?

I just mean that I don't know what the problem with it would be. No clue at all.

Now it's not crashing but it doesn't make the alpha channel transparent.

If you must know, I'm rekinning Toshi's Luke to how he looks in A New Hope. It would be fine if it didn't have the collar there.