New Clone Pack

Knocked up some made-up clone commander and clone trooper skins tonight, for the webcomic I make. Managed to do ten skins this evening, so thought I might make some more before releasing a pack for people to download if they want a little more variety.

Nothing spectacular, just some dib-and-dabbing with Photoshop - some recolours, some added symbols, a bit of original skinning too - and editing of the .skin files to create some new troopers;

Before I can release them I need to look up how to get models in-game and working. At the moment they exist only in my base/models/players folder, and have no associated sounds, gfx, bot or npc files. Not sure when I'll get around to doing that.

But for those curious, here's what I have so far - even given them some fanon names.

Commander Falco;

Clone1.jpg

A trooper under Falco's command;

Clone2.jpg

Commander Killik;

Clone3.jpg

A trooper under Killik's command;

Clone4.jpg

Commander Rawls;

Clone5.jpg

A trooper under Rawls' command;

Clone6.jpg

Commander Sohn;

Clone7.jpg

A trooper under Sohn's command;

Clone8.jpg

Commander Trackshot;

Clone9.jpg

A trooper under Trackshot's command;

Clone10.jpg

The commanders also come with "unholstered" versions, for when the player is using dual pistols and doesn't want them to appear at their hip too. Will also make some helmless face reskins as well probably. Nothing fancy, just some unique tattoos or hairstyles.

Jeff, Omicron, CaptainChar and 1 other like this

Oh god I just wanna fix those models.....:\

Anyways great skins. ;)

As a complete amateur at modelling, I have to ask...what about the models is in desperate need of fixing? Maybe I've stared at them too long in ModView, but I can't see it xD

They all look really good, impressive most impressive.

Thanks amigo.

As a complete amateur at modelling, I have to ask...what about the models is in desperate need of fixing? Maybe I've stared at them too long in ModView, but I can't see it xD

The UVs could use work, especially around the seam lines as they are stretched. The arms are too thin, specifically at the elbow. The helmet shape is off a bit, a little too wide and too long. And if I remember correctly, Marz's models always have an overkill amount of tris with no LODs.

In saying this though, it may not be the best likeness model-wise but is still pretty good.

Mandalorian likes this

Pretty nice. I see you have messed around with the head. That can be a tricky area to skin. I know. A personal suggestion I have is to remove the kilt ties on the standard troopers. It seems kind of out of place since they don't have kilts. Other than that, looking pretty good.

The UVs could use work, especially around the seam lines as they are stretched. The arms are too thin, specifically at the elbow. The helmet shape is off a bit, a little too wide and too long. And if I remember correctly, Marz's models always have and overkill amount of tris with no LODs.

In saying this though, it may not be the best likeness model-wise but is still pretty good.

Interesting stuff, have to confess most of that escaped my notice.

Pretty nice. I see you have messed around with the head. That can be a tricky area to skin. I know. A personal suggestion I have is to remove the kilt ties on the standard troopers. It seems kind of out of place since they don't have kilts. Other than that, looking pretty good.

Yeah, the helmets can be very tricky to navigate. Learned that through the labour that became Phase 2 Rex and Jesse's helmets a couple of months ago. Thanks for the shout-out on the kilt ties, hadn't noticed them before. Can remove them from the standard troopers who have it, and add it to the commanders lacking it too.

Small update; a tweaked Phase 2 Commander Fox, and my WIP Arc Trooper Fives from The Clone Wars show. These will probably be the only canon ones I release - I have a full squad of 501st Phase 2 troopers skinned, but Barricade24 has been working on his for longer and deserves to get his work out there first;

Commander Fox, of the Coruscant Guard;

clone11.jpg

Canon picture for comparison (side view); http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130218060435/starwars/images/f/f0/Clone-commander-fox_detail.png

Canon pictures for comparison (front view); http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120614215917/starwars/images/6/6b/RedTrooper-SWI130.jpg

ARC Trooper Fives;

clone12.jpg

Canon picture for comparison (front view); http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-30DTr3-j96w/TsfY9kmFBWI/AAAAAAAABDk/gEVLzvOsVjs/s1600/arctrooperfives.png

Canon picture for comparison (concept art); http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5DRDEGPInRs/Tq2Nl-eu-eI/AAAAAAAAAr8/-X8KsS6TXsg/s1600/Darkness5.jpg 

Interesting stuff, have to confess most of that escaped my notice.

Yeah, the helmets can be very tricky to navigate. Learned that through the labour that became Phase 2 Rex and Jesse's helmets a couple of months ago. Thanks for the shout-out on the kilt ties, hadn't noticed them before. Can remove them from the standard troopers who have it, and add it to the commanders lacking it too.

Small update; a tweaked Phase 2 Commander Fox, and my WIP Arc Trooper Fives from The Clone Wars show. These will probably be the only canon ones I release - I have a full squad of 501st Phase 2 troopers skinned, but Barricade24 has been working on his for longer and deserves to get his work out there first;

Commander Fox, of the Coruscant Guard;

clone11.jpg

Canon picture for comparison (side view); http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130218060435/starwars/images/f/f0/Clone-commander-fox_detail.png

Canon pictures for comparison (front view); http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120614215917/starwars/images/6/6b/RedTrooper-SWI130.jpg

ARC Trooper Fives;

clone12.jpg

Canon picture for comparison (front view); http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-30DTr3-j96w/TsfY9kmFBWI/AAAAAAAABDk/gEVLzvOsVjs/s1600/arctrooperfives.png

Canon picture for comparison (concept art); http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5DRDEGPInRs/Tq2Nl-eu-eI/AAAAAAAAAr8/-X8KsS6TXsg/s1600/Darkness5.jpg 

That is a great take on Fives. That head symbol looks spot on. It will be awhile before I get to him. But that is a pretty smashing take on Fives.

Made a new Commander and his trooper, and added helmless versions to all the clone officers. Some have also been given custom face textures, which I'll display below;

Commander Frenken;

Clone16.jpg

A trooper under Frenken's command;

clone17.jpg

Helmless Commander Falco (or Commander Sideburns);

Clone14.jpg

Helmless Commander Sohn;

Clone13.jpg

Helmless Commander Trackshot;

Clone15.jpg

Helmless ARC Trooper Fives;

Clone18.jpg

EDIT: Just realised Fives and Frenken still haven't had their kama-kilt straps added. This has now been fixed, despite the images above.

Circa and Bek like this

Very impressive work I love the commanders especially the fox and falco, Coolest clones I have seen so far keep up the good work. The only critizms I have are that the cyan and purple colour seem a bit much and maybe need a slight darken and maybe more damage? that is all I can think of and I look forward to seeing these clones be worked on :) your definately neater than I am, any pointers?

I think you could do better on Helmless Commander Trackshot. That teal stripe at the bottom of his hair just doesn't look right to me. Looking across them all I'm thinking, could the markings on their faces possibly be different colours to their armour? ^_^

Mandalorian likes this

Very impressive work I love the commanders especially the fox and falco, Coolest clones I have seen so far keep up the good work. The only critizms I have are that the cyan and purple colour seem a bit much and maybe need a slight darken and maybe more damage? that is all I can think of and I look forward to seeing these clones be worked on :) your definately neater than I am, any pointers?

The cyan was darker originally, but they looked too close to the 501st blue to really stand out, so I made it a little more vibrant. As for more damaged versions, I may add more "battleworn" looking appearances before release.

I think you could do better on Helmless Commander Trackshot. That teal stripe at the bottom of his hair just doesn't look right to me. Looking across them all I'm thinking, could the markings on their faces possibly be different colours to their armour? ^_^

It's a fair criticism, was definitely my least favourite result of the bunch. Will probably revisit Trackshot at some point, once I have some better ideas for what he could look like under the helmet.

Quick question, what did you use to get Fives' body armor? Did you just colorize it or did you use something else?

Before I colourised it I add some segments to the chestpiece in the texture file, then gave it some depth in the paintjob. It's all texturing though, I've not added any surfaces or meshes to the model itself. 

Not clone-related, but another Clone Wars-era reskin I made on a whim earlier today. It is Asajj Ventress in an outfit inspired by, if not an exact replica of, the bounty hunter gear she wears in her later appearances in the TV series;

Asajj1.jpg

It's made largely from cut-and-compiled textures from the original model (the armour is a combination of two different skins from neomarz's female Mandalorian) and Hirman's Asajj Ventress (mainly the head). All I did was put the thing together, skin the arms and legs, then made some cosmetic changes here and there to touch the whole thing up. As such, this may never see release as I'm not sure how active those two users are so getting permission might be tricky.

On the off-chance they're still around though; @@neomarz1 @hirman Let me know what you think :)

EDIT: Just realised @ is Hirman's alias these days.

Captain Leeroy and Circa like this

I like the Asajj very much it does remind me a lot of the clone wars, all your work is coming together well . you work quickly, I think maybe a little more lighting and contrast to match the face on her exposed part of her leg more would really work but I don't know if that is intended to be like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case your interested Kualan, you are more than welcome to use the "shiny" version I released for your skins. They have pretty much all the stretching problems and texture mishaps fixed.

Thanks man, shall keep that in mind.

Kualan, please! What's stopping you from releasing this amazing work? :(

Free time.

Circa likes this
  • 4 months later...