MP Source Code Help

Why not teach yourself by editing the source code? That's how I did it. And Raz0r too I think.

My point is that you apparently have a goal/project in mind. So start working towards making it happen. You can head over to jacoders for tutorials on how to get started.

You should learn at least the basics of the C language if you haven't already from somewhere like here.

Afterwards, head over to JACoders and read through the tutorials and forum posts there to gain a basic understanding of how the SDK works.

Then, using your newly gained knowledge, just edit code that looks interesting or relevant, add code as needed too, and also join the JACoders IRC( #JACoders at irc.arloria.net:6667 ) so you can ask for help when needed.

Well, I have been practicing editing source code, but my main problem is that I don't understand the part in the SDK "MakeAMod" tutorial where it says "Set your configuration to Final and perform a "Build Solution" command to build a DLL for the game."  and because of this, I am unable to compile it into a .DLL file.

So, if anyone knows how to do this (or the equivilant of this ) using CodeBlocks 12.11, please inform me

Try this to see if you can find out how it works :) it work for me when RaZor gave me this in the old days when i was begining to learn edit JKA MP SDK :) BTW this is for debug mode but it give you a way to learn how the tools also works in VS C++ :)

screen1vh.jpg   screen2ri.jpg   screen3xe.jpg
screen4ez.jpg   screen6k.jpg

I changed all of the settings to those in the images and tried to perform a build solution, however it still said "Build Failed"....  I must be forgetting to do something, I will keep trying for now, but more advice would be greatly appreciated.

For when I get everything  working, does anyone know what I have to edit to dual wield certain weapons.  (just the Bryar pistols and the Demp 2, I have them as completely different weapons in my mod already)
Also, I will eventually need to know how to make the jetpacks to function SP style, and the NPCs that would normally follow you in SP follow you.  Lastly I will need to know how to make a "flame thrower" item, like force lightning only with fire ( like SP Boba Fett ) and it is an object that you can pick up like a seeker drone, or a jetpack.

I really just need to know where to start with all of these things, like what files I will have to make the changes in.

I recommend taking a look at OJP Enhanced's source for the dual wielding of weapons to see how they did it. The developers of OJP did a good job of commenting specific OJP features and fixes, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

These are particularly complex tasks for a beginner, so take note of this.

Assuming you want the Dual Wielding bits first, here's some things I can recommend.

If you're going for only one or two weapons to be dual-wieldable, and assuming you don't want that to be too interchangeable (unlike say Gunslinger's Academy), then this isn't too bad to do, but it involves some rather complex knowledge of the way the engine works.

The game networks stuff about the current player in the use of the player state (playerState_t). On the client, you only have access to (emphasis on only) your player state. The server has information about all the clients' player state. Each player state is stored in their gclient_t variable, which is in turn part of their gentity_t variable. This makes sense because: a player is a controlled entity (/ client), and it's an entity (gentity_t). In most functions that you find in the server when you're dealing with an entity, you'll find those in function parameters as simply ent. So the easiest way to access variables is simply:

ent->client->ps.*

You'll find a lot of useful information here, such as what weapon the player has currently equipped (ps.weapon), what weapons they have (ps.stats[sTAT_WEAPONS]), what ammo they have (for instance, ps.ammo[AMMO_BLASTER]), and so on.

So how do we access this on the client?

We have two different options. They're slightly different in terms of how they're managed, so it's important to understand the concept of prediction and snapshots.

Quake 3 (and therefore, JA MP) sends stuff to the clients in the form of snapshots. Each snapshot contains all the entity states (not important atm for what you're dealing with) and your player state, as well as the server time for calculations, and some other things. The current snapshot is stored in:

cg.snap

And to access the current snapshot's playerstate, we use:

cg.snap->ps

So that's one option that you have at your disposal.

The other one involves a little-understood concept called prediction. Prediction involves processing the snapshots and predicting what will occur from them. Prediction results in smoother animations, and rounded out sleekness that would otherwise not be possible with networking alone.

Consider points on a graph. Each snapshot would be considered a point on a graph, and if we were to simply use the points on a graph, without anything else taken into account, this would be perfectly fine. But as with all aspects of life, there are tons of little complications. For instance, lag. Lag will be a problem, since it will delay what information gets sent to the client. This is already a problem, as it throws off the whole formula for prediction (I won't bore you more than I probably already am with tons of mathematical equations, and I don't totally understand the method behind it myself anyway). There's also a pretty gaping flaw here: the clients run on a different frame rate than the server does (as to be expected, since different clients run different machines, but also take into account that servers are usually capped at around 20-30 FPS, while clients can go as high as 120, if not more!)

In my humble opinion, you should be dealing with the raw snapshots in this case, as there's physically no real need for prediction. So that means that you'll be dealing with cg.snap->ps, on the client.

Again, why does this all matter? Well, what you're basically going to probably want to do here is store some kind of value on the playerState that tells you whether or not you're currently dual wielding your current weapon. That's about the simplest way to do it. Since all the fields in the playerstate are more or less hardcoded, there's a few extra fields at the end of the playerState and entityState that Rich Whitehouse was kind enough to program into the game. You can do some complex stuff with these fields later on, as with the rest of the playerstate, that allows you to add more fields, but I won't get into that right now, as that also involves some complicated math.

Anyway, you'll be wanting to deal with the userInts. So I recommend changing:

int userInt1;

(in q_shared.h)

to

qboolean currentlyDualWielding;

For clarity's sake anyway. Your next task would be to figure out how and when you want to set your stuff to be currently dual wielding. I'll leave this info here, as I feel like I've posted way too much information anyway. If you read all this, and understood all that, congratulations, you win one free eezstreet point, redeemable at any time for more free advice.*

*Additional restrictions may apply to residents of Hawaii and Alaska, because fuck islands and fuck cold

Fighter likes this

I replaced all of the files in the SDK with the modbase files, but I am still getting an error.  I looked more carefully into what is causing the error, and it sais that I am missing the following files:
qcommon/disablewarnings.h
windows.h

I checked and made sure that I did in fact have those files in the correct places, yet it continues to give me the errors

Just in case it really matters, I am attaching the build output below.

------ Build started: Project: botlib, Configuration: Final Win32 ------
Compiling...
l_struct.cpp
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\botlib\../game/q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
l_script.cpp
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\botlib\../game/q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
l_precomp.cpp
l_memory.cpp
l_log.cpp
l_libvar.cpp
l_crc.cpp
be_interface.cpp
be_ea.cpp
be_ai_weight.cpp
be_ai_weap.cpp
be_ai_move.cpp
be_ai_goal.cpp
be_ai_gen.cpp
be_ai_chat.cpp
be_ai_char.cpp
be_aas_sample.cpp
be_aas_routealt.cpp
be_aas_route.cpp
be_aas_reach.cpp
Compiling...
be_aas_optimize.cpp
be_aas_move.cpp
be_aas_main.cpp
be_aas_file.cpp
be_aas_entity.cpp
be_aas_debug.cpp
be_aas_cluster.cpp
be_aas_bspq3.cpp
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\vegeta\Desktop\SDK\codemp\Final\botlib\BuildLog.htm"
botlib - 28 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: JK2game, Configuration: Final Win32 ------
Compiling...
cl : Command line error D8016 : '/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\vegeta\Desktop\SDK\codemp\Final\JK2game\BuildLog.htm"
JK2game - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: JK2cgame, Configuration: Final Win32 ------
Compiling...
WalkerNPC.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\game\q_shared.h(187) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
ui_shared.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\ui\../game/q_shared.h(187) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
SpeederNPC.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\game\q_shared.h(187) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
q_shared.c
q_math.c
fx_rocketlauncher.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\cgame\../game/q_shared.h(187) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
fx_heavyrepeater.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\cgame\../game/q_shared.h(187) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
fx_force.c
fx_flechette.c
fx_disruptor.c
fx_demp2.c
fx_bryarpistol.c
fx_bowcaster.c
fx_blaster.c
FighterNPC.c
cg_weapons.c
cg_weaponinit.c
cg_view.c
cg_turret.c
cg_syscalls.c
Generating Code...
Compiling...
cg_strap.c
cg_snapshot.c
cg_servercmds.c
cg_scoreboard.c
cg_saga.c
cg_predict.c
cg_playerstate.c
cg_players.c
cg_newDraw.c
cg_marks.c
cg_main.c
cg_localents.c
cg_light.c
cg_info.c
cg_event.c
cg_ents.c
cg_effects.c
cg_drawtools.c
cg_draw.c
cg_consolecmds.c
Generating Code...
Compiling...
bg_weapons.c
bg_vehicleLoad.c
bg_slidemove.c
bg_saga.c
bg_saberLoad.c
bg_saber.c
bg_pmove.c
bg_panimate.c
bg_misc.c
bg_g2_utils.c
AnimalNPC.c
Generating Code...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\vegeta\Desktop\SDK\codemp\Final\JK2cgame\BuildLog.htm"
JK2cgame - 51 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: ui, Configuration: Final Win32 ------
Compiling...
ui_syscalls.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\ui\../game/q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
ui_shared.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\ui\../game/q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
ui_saber.c
ui_main.c
.\ui_main.c(14) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Ghoul2/G2.h': No such file or directory
ui_gameinfo.c
ui_force.c
ui_atoms.c
q_shared.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\game\q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
q_math.c
c:\users\vegeta\desktop\sdk\codemp\game\q_shared.h(44) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'qcommon/disablewarnings.h': No such file or directory
bg_weapons.c
bg_vehicleLoad.c
bg_saga.c
bg_misc.c
Generating Code...
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\vegeta\Desktop\SDK\codemp\Final\ui\BuildLog.htm"
ui - 13 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 4 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========