Do CRT monitors have any advantages in modern times?

What's the refresh rate and resolution?

Pro gamers have been known to stick with CRT for a while but now with 120hz 16:9+ LCD monitors, and the benefits in every-day computer usage, LCD is probably the way to go.

If you have the money.

CRT works. LCD works. If your CRT works and you don't mind it, you probably don't have to fork out over a new monitor.

• 1 year later...

This is among the first few results on google so i have to correct the missinformation here.

Actualy the only LCD/LED that can compete with CRT is OLED and it's still in it's very infintile state devices as of this post are just now popping up. Yieldsare very low ATM.

LCDs bend ligh 90 degress and are edlgit because of this even hwen pixles are black light is shining through them, this cuases the blacks to becomes greys this problem happens with other colors too. Also it causes light bleed.

In CRTs each "pixle" IS it's own bakc light so black pixles have no light shining through them and there for are much darker.

CRTs have lower latency than LCD.

CRTs do not have pixles or native resolution.

CRTs analoug nature lends them better mapping.

CRTs are usualy 75hz ad 85hz and LCD/LED screens are uusaly 30 or 60 hz though "hz" is a misnomer on LCD/LED but, the point is if you tun vsync on with a CRT you are gonna have a higher FPS cap. Some CRTs are capapble of more thoughi n som cases you have to "overlcok" the CRT to get above 85hz, though ithink some were mroe than 85hz by defualt.

CRTs were capapble of 120+ PPI 12-13 years ago.

This is just a small list of why CRT is superior. People gave up CRT for less space and electricty at the epxense of image quality. A CRt at 75+ hz shouldn'thurt you eyes, i nthe cases wherei  have seens the people rported seeing flicker which leads me to bleive said CRT is not operating properly or to spec. I think the reason why it cause peple headaches or eyes to hurt is the same exact reason CRt has better imag quality.

The Sony FW900 is is wide screen and brings $400 USD used and is capapble of and is capapble of 1900x1200 maybe higher.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

even when you take picture of it the image quality STILL isn't washed out but, IS at the mercy of them onitor you view these picutres on. so if you crap monitors these ^^ pics will look like crap.

If you look at the making of Iron man movie you will see a Sony FW900 in the backgrounds of some of the interviews at the studio. They are still used in the porefession and medi industry and are highly sought fter and this is why they bring 400 USD used in fair condition.

Don't take my word for it do some reasearch. I've ben researching the topic on off and for aobut a year now and am STILL learning new reason why CRT has better image quality.

EDIT: LCD left CRT right

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/sharp-mega-head.jpg

https://jkhub.org/images/ouPHfL8.jpg

https://jkhub.org/images/k1FcCAb.jpg

Again what you see is subject to your monitor's image quality.

Jango40, spior, Cerez and 1 other like this

@@cdoublejj

Thanks for the info. Not going to buy a CRT because of limited space, but when I have a bigger room I surely will.

I would really be cautious with CRT monitors. They do tend to strain the eye, and if you're spending extended periods of time in front of the screen, electrons blasting the back of your eyes are not the healthiest way to spend that quality time.

(My best friend pretty much completely lost his eyesight thanks to the amazing qualities of a CRT screen… :()