how long have you been moding for.

I started in jk2, right before jka came out, so I think I did 1 jk2 skin then the rest was jka. My field was just skinning, for ages just simple recolors on request etc (I got to make more fancier stuff too as I did develope a LITTLE skill even with that). In general more interest made me dive deeper as the years in jka passed, now I can do modeling, can pretty much model whatever I'd want to put in the game I guess (nothing coding related). I'm just insanely slow between the times I do work now, so my output is next to zero :< got a model done atm and like 1/6th into the texturing xD It'll be out whenever I get a boost of motivation to get through the texturing and weighting.

I got into modding simply because I wanted to make a skin for myself ^^ I still have the first one lying around :) Hundreds followed, but I only released 1 skinpack officially because the rest consisted of personal skins mostly.

brendhanbb likes this

3 years ago, starting with maps in JKA cause I was very bored. Made ugly ones with shitty fps.

Then overpowered sabers but stopped when I learnt that it could be used by anyone in the server.

Tinkered with dlls in 2011 but was lazy and didn't continue so I've lost any knowledge in that.

Currently making one ent-edited map every year, that's much easier to do.

brendhanbb likes this

wow all these stories are really interesting. beleive it or not i techenically started modding with doom. this was many years ago with my father we actually made a playable level together but then for whatever reason stopped. i moved on to jedi knight dark forces 2. and yeah without the tuturoals that are avabale now on how to mod a game i was competely lost. and yeah i gave up since i had no idea what to do and neather did my father. but then i found tuturuls on how to edit jedi knight dark froces 2 and that was awesome and then i looked for how to make maps for jedi acdemy and acutally i found mugs tutural which is how i ended up here.

Years and years and years ago. The result of a 12 years old with far too much time on their hands meeting JKA was slow in-depth acquaintance with how the engine works, how to mod stuff, and so forth. These days, I have obscene amounts of theoretical knowledge on all kinds of modding subjects, despite having never done half of them, like modelling and mapping.

Tl;dr do not let Caelum near keyboards. Bad things happen.

thats really cool. like i personally lack insperation right now to anything creative. like sadly i am good at copying stuff. and i would like to try to create the entire jedi knight dark froces 2 game :) but yeah if you saw the level i am working on right now u might understand why thats hard for me at least right now.

I like you.

Also you can find a bunch of DF2 related tutorials http://jkhub.net/ <---- here. They even have the older versions of ZED and JED. Even have the source files.

You should totally stick around here, but I figured I post that stuff for nostalgia sake.

oh i already found df2 tutruals before i found jko moding. but yeah i did not like using the editor for df2 too much :(

Started modding back in...2002? Started in JK2, making maps. I remember that I was 8 years old whenever I started. Never really got far in mapping. After starting up several TCs, all of which failed, I started a relatively modest code project. The beginnings were just me messing around in JK2, like a painted-on ironsights. This would have been back in 2008 whenever I started coding. So for 6 years, I was more or less a nobody in the modding scene. I still don't tell anybody my true alias from before this one, but I know that several people (particularly those involved around Filefront) in this community can guess.

I believe when I started modding, I became too excited to contain myself. I kinda got too excited. Excited enough that I broke the fourth wall between modding and my life, and people that I know were super hyped up. I hyped up the crowd that wasn't right for me -- the Zelda fanboys, the Trekkies, the WoW nerds -- all of those people would eventually contribute to what I would call the lowest point in my life. This point was when I was more or less physically battered by the people around me at school. When we moved away from that place, that is when I found peace, I believe. Some people wouldn't agree with that. It was an eye of the storm in my life, really. I was sinking deeper and deeper into maddening depression, and messed my mind up something awful with Prozac and other drugs. I liked to play on the idea that my depression stemmed from a lack of females in my life, but really what I desired was...well...a true friend. I'm not going to go all brony on you or anything, but I had nobody in my life that I could talk to about what was really going on with me. That lead me into a dark depression, I think. And it felt like I received nothing for the efforts I have done. If anyone were to tell me that I'm doing better than I was 5 years ago, I'd have to force myself to agree with the people that said that. I'm not _better_. I'm _stronger_, not _better_. I hate myself in fact because I allowed myself to proliferate to where I am today.

I guess where I've been causes me to become extremely angry with people who are depressed over miniscule things. Now some things I can empathize with. Other things..not so much. I can't empathize with myself for how I was before. If the things that we do define who we are, why is it that people say good things to me, after I've [indirectly] been the reason, cause, and/or motivation for the attempted suicide of three (one succeeded unfortunately, may his soul rest in peace), the vehement criticism upon my team members (past and present), the lies I've told, people I've spoken irately about, the bigotry, the hate, the demoralization of the masses, and general emotional grief I've caused people -- if the things that we do define who we are, why do I feel like I've gotten better, when I haven't? I don't know.

After a few unfortunate events, I had to move away from there and spend my time gaining practical skills in a rural town of around 1,000 people. Practical skills and discipline did me well. I think the practical skills, the discipline, the constant isolation, the separation of my actual thoughts from what I said...I was more or less forced to live a double life. One on the internet, one in real life. I never told anyone about my exploits, the deep intricacies of my hobbies. Whenever someone texted me, asking me what I was doing, I would always tell them "nothing", or some other silly white lie. I did, for the record, meet someone who was really special to me. Like many of the things in my life which would remain mysterious, she vanished one day. I don't think I've recovered from it.

Things changed a bit when I actually learned how to code and got into it. I still never told anyone anything. I liked to believe in many things. For instance, I liked to believe that people were actually honorable some of the time, and that people hardly ever committed the vices shown on television. That all became lies and fallacies when it actually turned out to be true. I didn't lose my beliefs in a few things though. For starters, that I could do things other people couldn't. I hated being different though. Steve Jobs, and their different ideas about how people should be different, that they should strive to be different..I couldn't believe any of those things. Jobs and Apple proved themselves to be hypocrites: they brought out the idea that people should be different, yet they stole ideas from people and created phones which became cardboard cutouts for later models. That's why I couldn't believe that people could be different and still succeed. Then you have the hipster crowd, and all the bizarre things that brings. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against being different, or being normal, or anything else. People should be how they want to be.

It's just how I wanted to be that I didn't know about.

In modding we make decisions based on things that we've seen each other do, based off of help. In a way, we help make people become just like us -- just as enthusiastic, just as technically involved, just as good as us. It's therefore rather perplexing that while I help people in the modding scene, I've become so fundamentally different from anyone or anything else that I don't know where I belong anymore. I'm too "goth" or "metal" for the nerds. Not vain enough for the popular crowd. Too nerdy for the metalheads. Too quiet for the stoners (yes, I was actually kicked out of a group for being too quiet -- more on this later). Too loud and obnoxious for the aspies. Too mellow for the radical free thinkers out there. I can't hold a conversation for more than 5 minutes with someone. I can't even talk to my girlfriend without the conversation devolving into us either saying "What's up?" back and forth for hours, or going into trust issues and other things. So after some thought, I think I've figured out what it is that I actually am.

I'm a rockstar.

Sounds like a great life to live, with the amenities of what I have, the knowledge, grades, all that. But deep inside me, I can't bear to deal with a lot that goes on. Ask anyone here who's talked to me for more than 5 minutes at a time. Ask my girlfriend. They'll tell you the same thing. I'm emotionally unstable. I can totally relate to people who have had issues before in their life. Maybe not in the same way as others. The scenes are different but the struggle's alike. Modding is the only thing that keeps me from going insane. I sometimes feel inadequate, but I have ideas. I have creativity. I learned from the depths of where I was that I have these things, that I can use these things. If someone as messed up outside and inside could have something useful, I know that people outside my bubble, such as you, @@brendhanbb, people like you, they have something useful in their lives. It's how you think about things that makes all the difference.

I'm no David Gilmour though. I know that I don't produce a lot of amazing things that people talk about, like BlueIce Nightfall, or a beloved game model made to life, or an incredibly popular serverside mod. I get treated generally bad for the things that I've produced, now and in the past, and I can't say I don't deserve it on both a quality level and a moral level. I don't blame people either for what they say. Take things one day at a time, that's the only way you can live life.

I do genuinely try my hardest though. I just wish that people could understand...

Started modding back in...2002? Started in JK2, making maps. I remember that I was 8 years old whenever I started. Never really got far in mapping. After starting up several TCs, all of which failed, I started a relatively modest code project. The beginnings were just me messing around in JK2, like a painted-on ironsights. This would have been back in 2008 whenever I started coding. So for 6 years, I was more or less a nobody in the modding scene. I still don't tell anybody my true alias from before this one, but I know that several people (particularly those involved around Filefront) in this community can guess.

I believe when I started modding, I became too excited to contain myself. I kinda got too excited. Excited enough that I broke the fourth wall between modding and my life, and people that I know were super hyped up. I hyped up the crowd that wasn't right for me -- the Zelda fanboys, the Trekkies, the WoW nerds -- all of those people would eventually contribute to what I would call the lowest point in my life. This point was when I was more or less physically battered by the people around me at school. When we moved away from that place, that is when I found peace, I believe. Some people wouldn't agree with that. It was an eye of the storm in my life, really. I was sinking deeper and deeper into maddening depression, and messed my mind up something awful with Prozac and other drugs. I liked to play on the idea that my depression stemmed from a lack of females in my life, but really what I desired was...well...a true friend. I'm not going to go all brony on you or anything, but I had nobody in my life that I could talk to about what was really going on with me. That lead me into a dark depression, I think. And it felt like I received nothing for the efforts I have done. If anyone were to tell me that I'm doing better than I was 5 years ago, I'd have to force myself to agree with the people that said that. I'm not _better_. I'm _stronger_, not _better_. I hate myself in fact because I allowed myself to proliferate to where I am today.

I guess where I've been causes me to become extremely angry with people who are depressed over miniscule things. Now some things I can empathize with. Other things..not so much. I can't empathize with myself for how I was before. If the things that we do define who we are, why is it that people say good things to me, after I've [indirectly] been the reason, cause, and/or motivation for the attempted suicide of three (one succeeded unfortunately, may his soul rest in peace), the vehement criticism upon my team members (past and present), the lies I've told, people I've spoken irately about, the bigotry, the hate, the demoralization of the masses, and general emotional grief I've caused people -- if the things that we do define who we are, why do I feel like I've gotten better, when I haven't? I don't know.

After a few unfortunate events, I had to move away from there and spend my time gaining practical skills in a rural town of around 1,000 people. Practical skills and discipline did me well. I think the practical skills, the discipline, the constant isolation, the separation of my actual thoughts from what I said...I was more or less forced to live a double life. One on the internet, one in real life. I never told anyone about my exploits, the deep intricacies of my hobbies. Whenever someone texted me, asking me what I was doing, I would always tell them "nothing", or some other silly white lie. I did, for the record, meet someone who was really special to me. Like many of the things in my life which would remain mysterious, she vanished one day. I don't think I've recovered from it.

Things changed a bit when I actually learned how to code and got into it. I still never told anyone anything. I liked to believe in many things. For instance, I liked to believe that people were actually honorable some of the time, and that people hardly ever committed the vices shown on television. That all became lies and fallacies when it actually turned out to be true. I didn't lose my beliefs in a few things though. For starters, that I could do things other people couldn't. I hated being different though. Steve Jobs, and their different ideas about how people should be different, that they should strive to be different..I couldn't believe any of those things. Jobs and Apple proved themselves to be hypocrites: they brought out the idea that people should be different, yet they stole ideas from people and created phones which became cardboard cutouts for later models. That's why I couldn't believe that people could be different and still succeed. Then you have the hipster crowd, and all the bizarre things that brings. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against being different, or being normal, or anything else. People should be how they want to be.

It's just how I wanted to be that I didn't know about.

In modding we make decisions based on things that we've seen each other do, based off of help. In a way, we help make people become just like us -- just as enthusiastic, just as technically involved, just as good as us. It's therefore rather perplexing that while I help people in the modding scene, I've become so fundamentally different from anyone or anything else that I don't know where I belong anymore. I'm too "goth" or "metal" for the nerds. Not vain enough for the popular crowd. Too nerdy for the metalheads. Too quiet for the stoners (yes, I was actually kicked out of a group for being too quiet -- more on this later). Too loud and obnoxious for the aspies. Too mellow for the radical free thinkers out there. I can't hold a conversation for more than 5 minutes with someone. I can't even talk to my girlfriend without the conversation devolving into us either saying "What's up?" back and forth for hours, or going into trust issues and other things. So after some thought, I think I've figured out what it is that I actually am.

I'm a rockstar.

Sounds like a great life to live, with the amenities of what I have, the knowledge, grades, all that. But deep inside me, I can't bear to deal with a lot that goes on. Ask anyone here who's talked to me for more than 5 minutes at a time. Ask my girlfriend. They'll tell you the same thing. I'm emotionally unstable. I can totally relate to people who have had issues before in their life. Maybe not in the same way as others. The scenes are different but the struggle's alike. Modding is the only thing that keeps me from going insane. I sometimes feel inadequate, but I have ideas. I have creativity. I learned from the depths of where I was that I have these things, that I can use these things. If someone as messed up outside and inside could have something useful, I know that people outside my bubble, such as you, @@brendhanbb, people like you, they have something useful in their lives. It's how you think about things that makes all the difference.

I'm no David Gilmour though. I know that I don't produce a lot of amazing things that people talk about, like BlueIce Nightfall, or a beloved game model made to life, or an incredibly popular serverside mod. I get treated generally bad for the things that I've produced, now and in the past, and I can't say I don't deserve it on both a quality level and a moral level. I don't blame people either for what they say. Take things one day at a time, that's the only way you can live life.

I do genuinely try my hardest though. I just wish that people could understand...

this honestly speak to me i myself am the same way i am trying to find my true crowd but its so hard. and i feel like now that i have a basic grasp of maping i can create my own worlds to escape too. i can create whole words in my imange places i can only dream of going. create stories that are amazing. etc. i have so many ideas in my head but i still lack so much knowlenge on how to do them. i mean i understand exactly where ur coming from. and i relate to so much ur saying.

I started modding Jedi Academy some time in 2006. My sister and I had joined an incredibly small clan named Jedi of the Republic. As it was so small, we only had two members with custom skins. Only one of them was available from the downloads section of the clan website. I'd already found JKFiles, so I knew what I was doing with installing it. (When I first came across all of those mods, I assumed that it required an extremely complicated and expensive skill-set to make anything, so I never looked into learning.) Anywho, the other member, I honestly at the time assumed was simply choosing to use the Kyle model as like I said, he never provided a download link to his skin. Everyone else in the community used Base assets. The skin which I had download from the website belonged to the Council member Pyrotechnics (responsible for JotR SandTrap and Manaan Beta. His personal skin was nothing more than a standard (Base) Jedi Trainer with Kyle's torso (with red and blue variants, respectively) and Kyle's sounds.cfg. Since he was the only person I knew that had made a custom skin, I asked about the process. He made it sound far, far more complicated than it really is. Nevertheless, I managed to piece together this:

originalskin.jpg

He taught me how to avoid overwriting the Base Jedi Trainer model, and once I had my skin folder set up, he left me to edit the textures as I saw fit. Since I had no skill in that area, I stuck to swapping out compatible Base assets as he had done, hence the Jedi team blue torso. All other modifications were made with MS Paint - hence JotR tag on the shirt and dodgy British flag on the arm. I didn't understand how to add outfits outside of team red and blue, (I wasn't aware you could select a skin without using the menu system via commands), so I wound up with several skin folders with "red and blue" variants to complete my wardrobe. Within a month, I'd managed to produce this:

christmasskin.jpg

Nothing extravagant. Just playing with layer filters in GIMP and sticking with simple MS Paint edits. When the clan folded, I followed another member to a new community where I met @@Azatha. We barely interacted until around about the time that community folded as well, after which we started to take an interest in role-playing. Role-playing made me want to create a skin that was a bit more unique than tinkering with Base assets, and luckily Azatha was a complete boss at skinning, as well as very generous with taking time to part with tips and advice. I gained the occasional outfit from her, though I did try to bargain for more than that on several occasions, as she'll recall. My abilities were still limited to simple recolours of Jedi tunics and things. Azatha had given my model a new face, but I still couldn't create anything particularly interesting. Whilst we perused our interested in role-playing (subsequently joining ::JEDI:: as a result), Azatha again started me off on most of my skins, usually providing me with one outfit whilst I was left to fill the rest of my wardrobe. Every so often she gave me a cosmetic touch-up, and I tried to take advantage of her skills in this department more than once. She did eventually became more reluctant to provide anything for me, and instead encouraged me to practice the techniques she described to me in the past. Without her to do the work for me, I was pretty much forced into trying it if I wanted my own skin. (Needless to say, I stuck with my last skin update for a very long time.)

Some point in the last two years, I decided to take a step up in the skinning department. I learnt how to age my characters, make use of the clone tool, etc. Continued practice lead to my Alternate Rosh and edit of Elandain's Spidey skin.

Throughout my time in JEDI, I learnt to dabble with Lightsaber files and vehicle related stuff, leading to my swoop fixes among other things. I experimented constantly with all kinds of cosmetic related things in JA, which lead to me creating things like the Hydroball Cosmetic Pack and many, many other mods which were exclusive (and really only beneficial to) ::JEDI:: from loading screens, chat icons, consoles, skybox edits, music changes, launchers, etc.

Mapping is something I picked up from Pyrotechnics in JotR. As mentioned above, he'd been responsible for two maps on JKFiles. He pointed me in the direction of the necessary programs and the same tutorials which he had used to learn and left me with that. I made a few maps. My first ones were extremely bad. There was constant bright lighting, everything was horribly oversized, there were repeating, gigantic textures. I couldn't even work out the skybox, so I just made a box around the map and applied the sky texture. It should be noted that these bad maps of which I speak were usually made for private use. (Not wanting to embarrass myself publicly, of course). I did get better, though. The Fortress of Solitude was the only map I released for a very long time before Yavin Retreat and Yavin Sanctuary came around. When I took an interest in role-playing, I had stopped tinkering with maps for a fair while. I decided to take another swing at it which had lead to those two winding up on JKFiles. I have not gone out of my way to create maps for wide release very often, as I've preferred to make maps that myself and close friends will enjoy. A few attempts surfaced when I met @@Caelum at his clan, Cosmos, which can be found in this thread.

I'm not sure there's much more to say beyond that, but that's moi. ^_^

I have other stuff on the site, but that's the basic process I went through!

brendhanbb likes this

I started modding Jedi Academy some time in 2006. My sister and I had joined an incredibly small clan named Jedi of the Republic. As it was so small, we only had two members with custom skins. Only one of them was available from the downloads section of the clan website. I'd already found JKFiles, so I knew what I was doing with installing it. (When I first came across all of those mods, I assumed that it required an extremely complicated and expensive skill-set to make anything, so I never looked into learning.) Anywho, the other member, I honestly at the time assumed was simply choosing to use the Kyle model as like I said, he never provided a download link to his skin. Everyone else in the community used Base assets. The skin which I had download from the website belonged to the Council member Pyrotechnics (responsible for JotR SandTrap and Manaan Beta. His personal skin was nothing more than a standard (Base) Jedi Trainer with Kyle's torso (with red and blue variants, respectively) and Kyle's sounds.cfg. Since he was the only person I knew that had made a custom skin, I asked about the process. He made it sound far, far more complicated than it really is. Nevertheless, I managed to piece together this:

originalskin.jpg

He taught me how to avoid overwriting the Base Jedi Trainer model, and once I had my skin folder set up, he left me to edit the textures as I saw fit. Since I had no skill in that area, I stuck to swapping out compatible Base assets as he had done, hence the Jedi team blue torso. All other modifications were made with MS Paint - hence JotR tag on the shirt and dodgy British flag on the arm. I didn't understand how to add outfits outside of team red and blue, (I wasn't aware you could select a skin without using the menu system via commands), so I wound up with several skin folders with "red and blue" variants to complete my wardrobe. Within a month, I'd managed to produce this:

christmasskin.jpg

Nothing extravagant. Just playing with layer filters in GIMP and sticking with simple MS Paint edits. When the clan folded, I followed another member to a new community where I met @@Azatha. We barely interacted until around about the time that community folded as well, after which we started to take an interest in role-playing. Role-playing made me want to create a skin that was a bit more unique than tinkering with Base assets, and luckily Azatha was a complete boss at skinning, as well as very generous with taking time to part with tips and advice. I gained the occasional outfit from her, though I did try to bargain for more than that on several occasions, as she'll recall. My abilities were still limited to simple recolours of Jedi tunics and things. Azatha had given my model a new face, but I still couldn't create anything particularly interesting. Whilst we perused our interested in role-playing (subsequently joining ::JEDI:: as a result), Azatha again started me off on most of my skins, usually providing me with one outfit whilst I was left to fill the rest of my wardrobe. Every so often she gave me a cosmetic touch-up, and I tried to take advantage of her skills in this department more than once. She did eventually became more reluctant to provide anything for me, and instead encouraged me to practice the techniques she described to me in the past. Without her to do the work for me, I was pretty much forced into trying it if I wanted my own skin. (Needless to say, I stuck with my last skin update for a very long time.)

Some point in the last two years, I decided to take a step up in the skinning department. I learnt how to age my characters, make use of the clone tool, etc. Continued practice lead to my Alternate Rosh and edit of Elandain's Spidey skin.

Throughout my time in JEDI, I learnt to dabble with Lightsaber files and vehicle related stuff, leading to my swoop fixes among other things. I experimented constantly with all kinds of cosmetic related things in JA, which lead to me creating things like the Hydroball Cosmetic Pack and many, many other mods which were exclusive (and really only beneficial to) ::JEDI:: from loading screens, chat icons, consoles, skybox edits, music changes, launchers, etc.

Mapping is something I picked up from Pyrotechnics in JotR. As mentioned above, he'd been responsible for two maps on JKFiles. He pointed me in the direction of the necessary programs and the same tutorials which he had used to learn and left me with that. I made a few maps. My first ones were extremely bad. There was constant bright lighting, everything was horribly oversized, there were repeating, gigantic textures. I couldn't even work out the skybox, so I just made a box around the map and applied the sky texture. It should be noted that these bad maps of which I speak were usually made for private use. (Not wanting to embarrass myself publicly, of course). I did get better, though. The Fortress of Solitude was the only map I released for a very long time before Yavin Retreat and Yavin Sanctuary came around. When I took an interest in role-playing, I had stopped tinkering with maps for a fair while. I decided to take another swing at it which had lead to those two winding up on JKFiles. I have not gone out of my way to create maps for wide release very often, as I've preferred to make maps that myself and close friends will enjoy. A few attempts surfaced when I met @@Caelum at his clan, Cosmos, which can be found in this thread.

I'm not sure there's much more to say beyond that, but that's moi. ^_^

I have other stuff on the site, but that's the basic process I went through!

wow what an interesting story btw i am making a map right now myself. i am not sure if its good or bad. i am proud of it but then only because i know i am a beginer and anything thats playable and does not hurt the eyes is good to me lol when its coming from me. but idk if i was to show my map to people right now i have no idea what anyone would think. i only know what i think. and i think its a good start for a beginer but thats just me for all i know it could be a horrorible map for a beginer. honestly one big issue i am having is models. plus my cordiors for the most part are super mega plain :/

things things things

Holy shit.

This spoke to me.

I started modding in 2010 (or perhaps 2008), I made a terrible skin or two, then downloaded the JA SDK, went "I'M GOING 2 KREATE MODS" and now I finally understand pointers 2-3 (or 4-5) years later.

brendhanbb likes this

Edited out the double quote @@brendhanbb, and shifted this to General Modding Discussions as it is, well, a discussion about modding. :P

wow what an interesting story btw i am making a map right now myself. i am not sure if its good or bad. i am proud of it but then only because i know i am a beginer and anything thats playable and does not hurt the eyes is good to me lol when its coming from me. but idk if i was to show my map to people right now i have no idea what anyone would think. i only know what i think. and i think its a good start for a beginer but thats just me for all i know it could be a horrorible map for a beginer. honestly one big issue i am having is models. plus my cordiors for the most part are super mega plain :/

What I will say for this community is that I'm more than confident that nobody will mock you or your map, especially if you are a beginner. Most of us think we suck in comparison to anything @@Szico VII produces where mapping's concerned, but we share and critique anyway. We all started somewhere, so don't sweat it!

therfiles likes this

Edited out the double quote @@brendhanbb, and shifted this to General Modding Discussions as it is, well, a discussion about modding. :P

What I will say for this community is that I'm more than confident that nobody will mock you or your map, especially if you are a beginner. Most of us think we suck in comparison to anything @@Szico VII produces where mapping's concerned, but we share and critique anyway. We all started somewhere, so don't sweat it!

yeah i am not worried worried about being mocked for my map. who knows mabye my map is pretty good for a beginer and i am still working on it. i am seriously thinking about putting on the site and allowing people to download it i would love to hear some feedback from people.

A good idea would be to post your progress here :P Get feedback as you work. Correcting your own mistakes is one of the best ways of learning how to do things right, and here we have plenty of people who would point out how to fix your mistakes if you asked nicely :)

I started in like 2007. Simple things like skinning, mini mods, etc. Got into bigger versions of those but nothing else like modeling and mapping really grasped my interest enough to waste my time with, though I did attempt them. I have better things to do. The simple things are good enough for me.

• 1 month later...

I started in 2002 with JK and MotS. Just moving things around in other mods like Saber Battle X and such.

JO was with kyle replacements and learning file paths.

JA started with adding npc's so I could use the playermodel command. Oh the Power! I could finally have a removeable robe again!

When people started making animations I kept waiting for someone to recreate the run from JK/MotS, but no one ever did. I waited literally years! So when I got out of the Navy I decided I'd give it a shot. I found the Open Jedi Project team and asked them for help and sure enough I finally got my wish! I still use that run (well a fixed version) to this day. It is MANDATORY for me. The team started asking what else I could make so I kept experimenting. Some of you will understand how happy I was to get a gun firing animation in game! But the greatest was when I got my first saber swing in game! That openned my eyes to all the different animations I could do. I still jump for joy a little when I put a new animation in game. Even when it is rough and needs fixing. 

I try to give back to the comunity when I can. I've done request (even have one open now) and have made The Force Unleashed animations specially for the community. People asked for them so I did it even though I LOATHE the backhand styles.

• 2 weeks later...

I started modding 1 year ago, and the first mod that I ever made was for NFSMW, which was a simply flag vinyl replacement. After doing some experimenting, I made my own custom corvette vinyl which I still use and love! I didn't release any of my NFSMW mods, they were just for personnel use.

I then started to mod JKA about 2 and a half months ago, and the first mod that I made sucessfully for JKA was adding the shadowtrooper to SP, with team skin variants. I then tried out skinning, which I had a massive problem with. Basically I didn't realise that when making reskins/skins in GIMP, that when you save it, you have to turn progressive off. Silverfang managed to help me with that in JKG IRC chat, and soon, I was able to get textures to view in modview. My first few skins were quite awful, so I gave up on them. I then really wanted my own custom skin, that was of reasonable quality, and I always liked shadowtroopers, so I made my shadowtrooper skin, which I got the shaders put together for me by Ramikad, also on the IRC chat. I then uploaded that here, and I then started to make more skins. I then made my Maul Hologram skin, which took me about 2 hours to edit the skin files, copy a shader from another skin, and get screenshots from ingame, and upload to the Hub.

Since then, I have a console background which I probably won't ever upload, a new launcher background which I may not upload either, new lightsabre blades which are designed to look like those from the original trilogy, this mod I may upload when I have done some more work on it. I have also made quite a few skins, which I probably won't upload, but I may make a pack which contains all of my non-released skins, and other mods...