Shader Help? (Shiny-HUD on a Skin- Glowing RGB)

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Just need some help with shaders-

1. How (assuming possible here) do I make only certain areas of a texture shiny in game?

2. Is it (even remotely) possible to have a shader that has a (working) HUD and apply it to a skin? As in goes down with health, force, etc.?

3. Last question (for now), how do you have a glowing rgb choice for the species menu skins? (least important question, but I'm interested nonetheless) 

Any answers are helpful (pertaining to the topic that is :P)

models/players/x/1

{
 q3map_nolightmap
 q3map_onlyvertexlighting
 {
 map models/players/x/2
 blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
 rgbGen lightingDiffuse
 }
 {
 map gfx/effects/3
 blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
 tcGen environment
 }
 {
 map models/players/x/1
 blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
 rgbGen lightingDiffuse
 }

}

1 being the texture in question, with transparency replacing the parts you want to shine, 2 being those parts, saved with the right resolution and positioning over black background, and 3 being the img you use for the shininess.

• Solution

I hate just giving an example without explaining how or why it works, so instead of giving you shader code I'll explain the concept.

1. Making a texture shiny is achieved by overlaying a second, transparent texture that then moves around (the reflections). To then prevent certain parts from being shiny, you could overlay another texture with transparent parts on it. The non-transparent parts would thus hide the shininess. The exact shader varies depending on whether you need a lightmap etc.
  2. You're thinking of an on-character HUD akin to Dead Space? Having procedural shaders is not unheard of: Jedi Knight Galaxies has weapons with Ammo Counters and Hydroball has the in-map scoreboards, but this requires code modifications which make it pretty tricky if you're not into coding.
  3. I would assume this requires coding as well, but I don't know for sure.