DT's PC Issue

Ok so heres the issue:

Sometimes when I turn my PC on, only some devices actually turn on and I don't get anything on the monitor. I don't get a HDD light and one of my DVD drives doesn't work. I turn it off, wait a bit and turn it back on. It varies how many times I have to keep turning it on/off for it to power up everything. It's only started doing this in the last few months, I'm thinking it's either the motherboard or my PSU. There are no loose connections, everthing looks fine inside.

To gauge how old my PC is, it was built when the core i3 was still in its first generation. My Motherboard is an ASUS and my PSU is an OCZ 600W modular.

Any ideas guys?

You say you aren't getting anything on the monitor sometimes, does it use output from the motherboard, or a video card?

If it's connected to the motherboard, then that is likely where the problem lies, if not and your card uses it's own power from the power supply then that leads me to think that is the problem.

I am going to assume you probably have other devices going faulty that you may not have listed, check and see how many of the devices that mess up get their power from it as well...if all or the majority do, then either your cords are faulty or the supply is.

Ok this is what I have:

- ASUS Motherboard (can't be F'd opening it up to find out what model)

- Intel core i3 first generation with stock heatsink and fan

- 1x NVIDIA GTX460 PCI Express generation 2 with 2x PCI Express power sockets, both powered

- 4GB DDR3 Ram

- OCZ 600W modular PSU

- 2x case fans, one at the back/front

- 1x 500GB Sata 2 HDD

- 1x Blu-ray burner

- 1x DVD burner

When it wouldn't turn on the other day, I took out both of the PCI express power plugs as I thought the PSU was dying but it still didn't turn on. It's like only a few devices get powered when I have no display. So far, I've noticed the HDD & DVD burner not get power. The fans always work.

I also usually upgrade my PCs every 2 years, but this one has been around for a while and needs to stay that way for another 6 months at least until after my wedding and I move lol.

BIOS settings has been unchanged since I first built the PC, and I have not updated it either. Everytime my PC turns on properly my HDD light comes on straight away so I'm using that as my "quick indicator" if it starts up properly, rather than waiting forever for something to appear on the screen lol. Once it turns on properly, it stays on and doesn't cut out.

Can the power switch (that's connected to the motherboard) cause the PSU not to power on all devices properly?

EDIT:

The motherboard is an ASUS P7H55D-M PRO with a BIOS date of 12/30/2009. So I basically built this in January 2010. What's the general life expectancy of motherboards?