How does one ban someone with a dynamic IP?

I think whatsmyip.org offered some feature that told you the range of an IP.

He probably has like 2 or 3. Just wait for him to connect with the new one and ban that one too until he runs out of ranges. I personally have 6.

(You could always use a mod that supports hostname banning :P)

I seem to have WAY more than 6 IPs, to the point that I rarely get the same one twice.

As I recall, you can range ban by replacing parts of the IP in the ban list with 0s. EG my current IP is 86.147.233.196, you could swap that for 86.147.233.0 or even 86.147.0.0 so all IPs beggining with 86.147 will be banned.

The downside of this is that you will end up banning a few other people who use the same IP range (usually people in the same area on the same ISP) however, so few people play jka, that you prolly wont catch anyone in the crossfire who actually plays the game.

edit: am I the only one who thinks its bad bad bad that the number 0 looks like a letter o on this forum?

edit edit: in fact, its a little weird how the numbers are indented up and down seemingly at random( see: 6789), what's with that?

The thing is, it's frequently not a dynamic IP at all - rather, a VPN.

Pretty sure it is most frequently a dynamic IP rather than a VPN. And most ISPs have hundreds of subnets to hand out their addresses to customers. I know Virgin Media and BT in the UK have a crapton, you can never range ban someone on those ISPs properly unless you take out an entire class A address space (X.0.0.0).

Hm. I think it's a VPN then. Cause one moment it's 193.x.x.x then it's 87.x.x.x then 77.x.x.x etc...

I used timeout 1 to keep him from joining, fortunately he gave up after 20 or so minutes.

Oh lol. I have all those ranges.

I won't be coming on your server any time soon :D

Can you give me an exact IP? He might be using my ISP.

I have a VPN as a home network. At times, when I'm not using the network, it will change locations entirely. One minute it's in Hamilton, then it's in Regina, then it's in Vancouver. Likewise, any ban will probably never work, unless you set up your system to ban entire location ranges. JP, for example, got rid of China and India as a potential range for people to connect to. This is also the same clan who uses Range Banning as a standard practice.

From what I can tell, he seems to be European, because there are very few networks in North America that have network stations in Europe to tap into. If his networks are all from Poland, then place all of Poland in your blacklist. That way, it will potentially remove him from your server.

I have a VPN as a home network. At times, when I'm not using the network, it will change locations entirely. One minute it's in Hamilton, then it's in Regina, then it's in Vancouver. Likewise, any ban will probably never work, unless you set up your system to ban entire location ranges. JP, for example, got rid of China and India as a potential range for people to connect to. This is also the same clan who uses Range Banning as a standard practice.

From what I can tell, he seems to be European, because there are very few networks in North America that have network stations in Europe to tap into. If his networks are all from Poland, then place all of Poland in your blacklist. That way, it will potentially remove him from your server.

...and all the other Polish players.

Although I have yet to meet a decent Polish player, there are bound to be some.

That's a horrible solution.

Mysterious Stranger likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

I strongly suggest against range-banning, its easily avoidable with a VPN service such as HMA!Pro which has thousands of unique ip's. Also you ban many other people at the same time.

Examples for range-banning IP 211.43.44.188

Banning 211.43.44.0 would ban around 254 people

Banning 211.43.0.0 would ban around 64516 people

Banning 211.0.0.0 would ban around 16387064 people

All that and they can just use a VPN anyway, do you really think its worth it? I surely don't. Just learn to live with them or keep kicking them every-time they break the rules and they will soon give up.

Assuming you are on JA+ you can irritate them by scoreboarding them. That's always fun. I convinced one guy that his installation was corrupted.

That can be done on any mod

/rcon forceteam (client#) scoreboard

I just destroy their assets0.pk3 if they bug me too much.