weapon stances

There's TORSO_WEAPONIDLE3/TORSO_WEAPONREADY3/BOTH_STAND3IDLE1 for most weapons, TORSO_WEAPONIDLE2/TORSO_WEAPONREADY2 for the pistol, TORSO_WEAPONIDLE10/TORSO_WEAPONREADY10 for thermal detonators and TORSO_RAISEWEAP4/TORSO_WEAPONIDLE4/TORSO_WEAPONREADY4 for zooming with the Disruptor, as well as BOTH_SABERDUAL_STANCE, BOTH_SABERFAST_STANCE, BOT_SABERSLOW_STANCE, and BOTH_SABERSTAFF_STANCE for the lightsaber, as far as I can tell. Not sure about medium saber stance.

therfiles and Wundai like this

^If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Only thing I hate about it is the lack of bones, the animations in JK2 were smoother because the skeleton had like around 20 more bones.

Best to use reference material outside the game, you'll get a much better end result looking at an actual person and how they move/stand than some cruel stance someone made.

What would be cool is if they remade the JK series with modern graphics and animation. Then it would at least look realistic.

Well there are modern engines out there, it can be done, just need to find the people with the skills needed to carry it out.

I personally have been trying to find a mod to join that is SW based on a newer engine, while they are trying to recreate movie battles on the Unreal engine I'd much rather offer help with something that isn't focused on one game type. A base JKA recreation would be much more appealing then releasing the source for others to make something like MB.

Well there are modern engines out there, it can be done, just need to find the people with the skills needed to carry it out.

And the permission. As soon as it's no longer a Jedi Academy mod but a standalone game it won't be long until the Cease & Desists. Better stick to Jedi Academy. Sure, recode jamp.exe à la iojamp, add the option for more fancy graphics effects, but make it still use the original assets. So it still requires Jedi Academy to work. (Until someone redoes all the assets - and especially the animations will be a shitton of work.)

well depends, if the JA exe's could be made to handle memory better, and handle more brushwork, (i know szico would love that) the engine would be still fairly capable in my opinion, since some of those mapper, like Szico, and SJC, just to name two, have done great things, I would lIke to continue modding for JA as long as possible, its an easy learning curve, not to mention the Jedi knight series, is what got me into modding

Circa likes this

And the permission. As soon as it's no longer a Jedi Academy mod but a standalone game it won't be long until the Cease & Desists. Better stick to Jedi Academy. Sure, recode jamp.exe à la iojamp, add the option for more fancy graphics effects, but make it still use the original assets. So it still requires Jedi Academy to work. (Until someone redoes all the assets - and especially the animations will be a shitton of work.)

I've been close to recompiling the _huamnoid.gla since I found out that the 20-ish missing bones that were removed are actually there with keyframes in MOST of the .XSI files we could have a skeleton that has more facial bones, all the fingers with the joints, toe bones and the 2 tail bones that could be used for capes. All this could lead to smoother animations without changing much, next step for animations is for others to build user friendly rigs in the main 3d apps in use so that people don't have to waste of ton of time using dragon, I already have one finished using the JO skeleton with the left hand fix applied for dual sabers. With your blender plugin we could even take any missing animations from JO and put them in JA.

I personally think the animations considering there is no physics are pretty good, more could be done in that field if a coder enabled the ability for more gun types and saber styles without overwriting existing. NPC types would be another huge thing, being bound to the existing classes is already preventing a ton of things from working properly.

This is an example of an awesome project that was dropped because game code wouldn't allow it to work properly, was talking to him about this last night, he gave me the source files from Softimage Mod Tool 6, it's quite impressive.

well depends, if the JA exe's could be made to handle memory better, and handle more brushwork, (i know szico would love that) the engine would be still fairly capable in my opinion, since some of those mapper, like Szico, and SJC, just to name two, have done great things, I would lIke to continue modding for JA as long as possible, its an easy learning curve, not to mention the Jedi knight series, is what got me into modding

>> iojamp

The main issue you probably speak of with memory (safe_malloc) has actually nothing to do with the game, it's just the compiler being goofy. Clearly nobody at id/Ravensoft ever heard of streaming data. Regardless, the issue is being looked into with Jedi Knight Galaxies, since our maps are so big that they safe_malloc on the vis stage of the compiling (derp). Though the load times wouldn't be so bad with how we have the maps, and we always optimize.

I've been close to recompiling the _huamnoid.gla since I found out that the 20-ish missing bones that were removed are actually there with keyframes in MOST of the .XSI files we could have a skeleton that has more facial bones, all the fingers with the joints, toe bones and the 2 tail bones that could be used for capes. All this could lead to smoother animations without changing much, next step for animations is for others to build user friendly rigs in the main 3d apps in use so that people don't have to waste of ton of time using dragon, I already have one finished using the JO skeleton with the left hand fix applied for dual sabers. With your blender plugin we could even take any missing animations from JO and put them in JA.

Add breast bones. You know you want to.

I'm kidding of course, but I'm not actually.

Anyway, wow. Nice work on this. And yeah, since virtually everything relating to models (and even some map stuff like brushes) can be dealt with with Blender now,

I personally think the animations considering there is no physics are pretty good, more could be done in that field if a coder enabled the ability for more gun types and saber styles without overwriting existing. NPC types would be another huge thing, being bound to the existing classes is already preventing a ton of things from working properly.

Gun types likely can't change without engine hacks. Never fear, I've already broken the limit before to 32, and Xycaleth found a softcoded workaround that allows for up to 255 weapons so it's not totally out of the question. You can probably get away with using a WP_BOT_LASER though.