Unlimited NPCs

I know it's a long shot but could someone please make an unlimited NPC mod for JA enhanced? I'm just trying to make custom levels with custom npcs. I've downloaded so many player models and custom maps that are amazing and I can't do anything with them because each level seems to have an NPC cap (and there's no way to know how many) and it will make my game run like total crap if not crash. I've seen mods for unlimited NPCs for multiplayer but I don't get why nobody ever made one for Jedi Academy in general.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:39 AM, CoryTrash said:

I know it's a long shot but could someone please make an unlimited NPC mod for JA enhanced? I'm just trying to make custom levels with custom npcs. I've downloaded so many player models and custom maps that are amazing and I can't do anything with them because each level seems to have an NPC cap (and there's no way to know how many) and it will make my game run like total crap if not crash. I've seen mods for unlimited NPCs for multiplayer but I don't get why nobody ever made one for Jedi Academy in general.

OpenJK, which is the basis for mods like JA: Enhanced, already has an increased NPC limit that significantly surpasses the one from the unmodded game. It might not allow unlimited NPCs, but still a lot. If you have a fairly powerful and modern system, a couple of dozen NPCs per map should work without any issues. But if you are planning to add hundreds of NPCs, then it can only fail.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:04 AM, Lancelot said:

OpenJK, which is the basis for mods like JA: Enhanced, already has an increased NPC limit that significantly surpasses the one from the unmodded game. It might not allow unlimited NPCs, but still a lot. If you have a fairly powerful and modern system, a couple of dozen NPCs per map should work without any issues. But if you are planning to add hundreds of NPCs, then it can only fail.

Every time I try to use Open JK it gives me an error message and it won't work no matter what I do. I don't even know how to use Open JK but I've tried several times and nothing works. I can't really seem to find any tutorials on how to use it either. I'm running JA enhanced and spawn custom npcs and maps and I'm going through hell because of the apparent npc cap. 

It says "failed to load renderer" and sends a crash report..

There is a limit of NPCs per game and a certain number of NPC types per level (models/skins).

I don't know the exact number, but you can have, let's say, 40 unique NPCs in your map, and around 130 NPCs loaded at one time. I had my game crashed, when I added new skins via set_skin command in a script. Because I tried to trick the game, and instead of making too many NPC files, I created different skins, which can be switched in the game.

4 hours ago, NumberWan said:

There is a limit of NPCs per game and a certain number of NPC types per level (models/skins).

I don't know the exact number, but you can have, let's say, 40 unique NPCs in your map, and around 130 NPCs loaded at one time. I had my game crashed, when I added new skins via set_skin command in a script. Because I tried to trick the game, and instead of making too many NPC files, I created different skins, which can be switched in the game.

So what you're saying is use set_skin command for regular Ingame NPCs to unique NPCs? 

7 minutes ago, CoryTrash said:

So what you're saying is use set_skin command for regular Ingame NPCs to unique NPCs? 

I use this method to add variations to the looks of NPCs. If you have Rebel Troopers in your map, for example, you can add new face textures and .skin files, which will then appear on your NPCs in the map via a script. However this method also has limits, as the game can process only a certain amount of skins per level.