Recreating the light beam effect in the Academy

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

I've been trying to make my own version of the Academy but I'm having a hard time trying to recreate the light shining through the windows effect that is seen in the original map. Kind of new to mapping so some help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'm more so wondering if this effect is made using spotlights or not. I've tried it that way but it doesn't seem like I'm doing it right.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, mrwonko said:

These light rays have been created using brushes with a special texture, possibly common/dark_dust, on its visible sides, and system/nodraw on invisible sides.

I know it uses the common/dark_dust for the brush itself. I'm trying to get it to emit actual light between the brushes. Like is it just spotlights emitting the light within the brush? Sorry, I'm still new to this stuff and I don't know how more specific I can be. 

On 2/20/2023 at 3:43 AM, mrwonko said:

That would best be done using a sun light, which can be done using a custom sky shader, as described at http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/light-emitting-shaders.html, or using a directional light entity with a special key I can't quite remember, possibly "_sky" set to "1".

I'll try messing around with that at some point. Right now I've seemed to tweak spotlights in a way that gives me the effect I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.