Animated skybox from JO to JA

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Greetings

While surfing JKHUB i found a link for these beauty animated skyboxes: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/jk2ffa/animated-sky-t351.html. The only problem that it was made for Jedi Outcast and simple "drag&drop in base folder" solution is not working. So I have a question and hopefully could get some help here: is it possible to port this into Jedi Academy game? 

Not really into coding and so on, but I suppose that it could be done via changing original .shader file of skyboxes. So in case I'm right I'll leave a code for this .shader lower:

textures/skies/bespin
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/skies/sky.tga
	surfaceparm	sky
	surfaceparm	noimpact
	surfaceparm	nomarks
	notc
	q3map_nolightmap
	skyParms	textures/skies/bespin 5000 -
	{
		map textures/AnimatedSky/skystars11
    		tcMod scroll 0.01 0.025
	}
	{
		map textures/AnimatedSky/skystars8
		blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
    		tcMod scroll 0.019 0.033
	}

}

That looks like it was built as a replacement for the Bespin sky. I don't think the Bespin sky is included in Jedi Academy.

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to replace an existing sky? Or use this as a new sky for use in your own map?

Either way, you'll have to change the "textures/skies/bespin" parts. The top one is the name of the shader, as referenced in maps. The one in the "skyParms" is theoretically the path to the textures that make up the sky, though in this case the later "map textures/AnimatedSky/skystars11" puts another image on top of that, so that should not matter.

The order in which shaders are loaded (and thus override each other) is somewhat unusual, I don't really understand it, but if your pk3 currently comes after assets1 (alphabetically), try changing its name so it comes before, or vice-versa.

14 hours ago, mrwonko said:

The order in which shaders are loaded (and thus override each other) is somewhat unusual, I don't really understand it, but if your pk3 currently comes after assets1 (alphabetically), try changing its name so it comes before, or vice-versa.

As far as I know the game loads all shader files from all pk3s, and then sorts them alphabetically.

So the pk3 name should not matter at all, just the .shader filename.

11 minutes ago, mrwonko said:

I experimented a little, and the name of the .shader file appears to be irrelevant. What helped was renaming the pk3 to come alphabetically before assets, e.g. aaa_animated_sky.pk3. I think for shaders, pk3 load order is reversed from what it usually is.

Renaming pk3 with "aaa_" prefix actually hepled, big thanks my man!

4 hours ago, mrwonko said:

I experimented a little, and the name of the .shader file appears to be irrelevant. What helped was renaming the pk3 to come alphabetically before assets, e.g. aaa_animated_sky.pk3. I think for shaders, pk3 load order is reversed from what it usually is.

That is very bizarre behaviour o.O