Relaxing day at the beach

Would you come and visit this beach?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you come and visit this beach?

• Yes
    • No thanks

1 hour ago, Szico VII said:

Well still messing with cubemaps - got them to work on a glass window but not on the water, also as suggested have made the water line sand darker, thoughts?

I guess you have exactly 1 deformVertexes in the shader. Theres another stupid in rend2 which originates from the ioq3 renderer where shaders with 1 deformVertexes aren't able to use the shader system to its full extend. Maybe add a deformVertexes normal next to the other one for now.

For my taste, the darkening could be even stronger than it is now, but its already a nice improvement.

Since you’re asking for thoughts, I tend to tread softly on just how much constructive critique I give since it can sometimes be taken in a negative manner. For example, level design logic where the doors are too small for boxes, yet the added boxes improve the play, so the designer just does not care. Each case/designer is different or accepts things differently. I’m assuming your goal is to push the limits of JKA and make an esthetically pleasing looking map while looking for real constructive critique. What you currently have is outstanding and forms a cohesive look to a nice sunny day on the beach. The darkened sand looks a lot more natural to the eye I think you did a great job on that. The only item that stands out to me is the grass sprite/grass texture. One thing my level design professor use to preach is that “your design is successful if nothing is noticeable unless you intend it to be noticed.” So out of all of it so far, it’s the only item that stands out to me.

As for ways to correct it, would be avoid stand-alone straight lines of grass sprites with the high contrasting color planted in the sand. Also play with different lengths/density of grass with complementing grass texture/color.

If not looking for this kind of critique, I can just go back to…. “looks good!! XD” *keep walking*

TLDR: Grass stands out a bit, looks good tho.

ZanderNao likes this
9 hours ago, SomaZ said:

I guess you have exactly 1 deformVertexes in the shader. Theres another stupid in rend2 which originates from the ioq3 renderer where shaders with 1 deformVertexes aren't able to use the shader system to its full extend. Maybe add a deformVertexes normal next to the other one for now.

@SomaZ - yes with one deformvertexes (either wave or normal) there is no material properties applied. Problem is, with 2 the game crashes on map load - see shader below. Works fine in vanilla. And you only get the spec/cubemaps if i remove the deformvertexes completely...but then it doesnt look like water

textures/szico_halcyon/ocean_water2
{
    qer_trans    0.5
    qer_editorimage textures/szico_halcyon/ocean_water2
    q3map_tessSize 256
    qer_trans    0.65
    q3map_material Water
    surfaceparm nonsolid
    surfaceparm trans
    surfaceparm water
    deformVertexes normal 0.4 0.25
    deformvertexes wave 0.75 sin 0 1 1.0 0.75
    {
        map $whiteimage
        alphaGen const 0.0
        alphaFunc GE128
    }
    {
        map textures/szico_halcyon/ocean_water2
        normalMap textures/szico_halcyon/ocean_water2_nm
        specularreflectance 0.5
        roughness 0.1
        alphaGen const 0.8
        blendFunc GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA GL_SRC_ALPHA
        tcMod scroll 0.01 0.025
    }
    {
        map $lightmap
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
    }
}

I'm not sure adding more "details" will be worth it since it already exceeds anything out there on that front - but I'm already very impressed at the quick pace this is progressing at. Did you ever find a good way to setup underwaterfog with blending depthbased color falloff from scattering in the water?

In CostaDelsol, after it's initial release we experimented with a depth based falloff projected from 0 0 0 world origin with tcGen vector during runtime - the scale had to be adapted to the color falloff below the waterlevel to scale properly.

Working with fogs will introduce you to marvellous journey of setting up correct sort oder both in .shader file, as well as in the shader it self using "sort"

Do you have some sort of actual reflection now using rend2? If still not, you can also use tcGen environment at least for SP when using fake reflections. There's a transform that allows for the projection to be 1:1 with infinite parallax bound to the player camera.

There is cubemapping on the water surface from rend2 , that's what's giving the little highlights on the crests of the waves and the slight green tinge reflecting the palm trees

I am not planning players to be much underwater as you cant really fight in the water anyway, most of the ocean accessible (not clipped off) is not so deep

I have never used fog underwater, JKA just projects that 2d blue tinge overlay effect I think

More details referred to things on the actual island, maybe a hammock , sorting out the grass e.t.c, some fishes underwater and so on

Excellent improvement!

The water looks amazing! I am so thrilled to see the actual shader setup later!

I like how you hid at least some of the hard POM breaks on the trunks with some grass! This begs the question of mixing decal normal maps onto the normal map below  - how do different blended textures with normal maps behave? Does it calculate POM on both and just blend them afterwards?

The ball still needs to be NPCified - so it can be force pushed and choked 🙂

What kind of surface type is the terrain right now? When compiling I mean - it should list what drawsurface end up as which surface type. I am just asking since there is also a surfacesprite that is planar and could be used for little POM rocks to also put on there. Not sure this specific one works in the version of rend2 you currently use. Someone on jkCommunity discord was makign some fixes for the sprites and weathersystem last I checked.

@mjtthanks for nice words 🙂 when ita done all source files will be included as usual.

What is POM stand for?

alpha blend functions will blend both the diffuse and the normal/parallaxmaps , I am not sure how it would work with a decal shader + parallaxmap though

Ball would be nice as an NPC but I don't know how to do this myself as never used any character modelling stuff and not really keen to worry about that side of things unless it's very straightforward  and has a clear easy tutorial.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the terrain. It's a brush trisoup in its entirety. The surface shader is a standard diffuse with an alphablended secondary texture for each blend, phong shaded and then the parallax and specular rend2 texture maps added.

SephFF and ZelZel like this
15 hours ago, Szico VII said:

Ball would be nice as an NPC but I don't know how to do this myself as never used any character modelling stuff and not really keen to worry about that side of things unless it's very straightforward  and has a clear easy tutorial.

@mjt And I were gonna have a barrel NPC similar to your Moon base Labs Map. Where people could throw it or make it explode like a tie-fighter killing everyone near by lol. Unfortunately we ran out of time before the contest and could not get it working right in time. I really like the idea of making the ball an NPC! where you could use force push and play volleyball with it on the beach! Or slap it with a hockey stick that uses "saberdmgvelocityscale". I could see some fun events we could run on JAWA server with that. One flaw in it would be making it float in water lol. I have no idea how to pull that off.

You really are making me want to update my Costa Del Sol map with all these amazing details. ( I got 2 maps to finish before I can start tho ;_; ) Some things I wanted to do but just didn't have the time was build interiors for all the building, true to Final Fantasy 7 reference images of Costa Del Sol. The hardest part is the maps size where so much is being rendered it is hard to optimize and really make it look amazing, not killing everyone's FPS. (we tried adding grass to it.. it killed most ppl's computers to include my own lol).

I'm also one of those mappers where I loth invisible walls... Only clip things that absolutely need it. I love the idea that if its looks like you can reach it... you can! Though with the way jump 3 works and some of the movement glitches I can normally find like 50 ways to break a mappers intentions lol. it makes designing maps a million times harder.

That water tho.... *Chefs Kiss*

On 8/6/2022 at 2:13 AM, Szico VII said:

Well, how do you feel about this?

BI4UjMN.png

Moonbase Barrels phase 2? 😄

Just click the image to download a pk3 for the ball.
It includes a PBR Material for Rend2 - but I am not 100% certain I set it up correctly. Been to long and this was a 1 hour job so I didn't take a lot of time to look things up. And I don't have Rend2 set up atm so I could not test it unfortunately.

Maybe @SomaZ can verify the .mtr. The Normal map is in OpenGL Format (Negative Y axis) Not sure if I'd need to flip it in the material using the normalScale parm.

I also didn't remember how to change an NPCs bounding box. It feels a bit tall at the moment.

mjt and SephFF like this
On 8/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, Szico VII said:

Small updates - decided I preferred it with some more skybox elements.

openjk-x86-exe-Screenshot-2022-08-05-17-

damn this looks nice man, good to see you are back in the community 😄 that water looks really nice. way better then what we have in Warzone but i do like Warzone's a lot to 🙂 here is a Pic of me taking a screenshot from me and Uniq1 Mod 

Spoiler

shot2020-02-01_08-26-00.jpg

shot2020-05-08_20-51-00.jpg
shot2020-05-08_20-51-24.jpg
shot2021-06-07_21-36-47.png

Edited by Circa
On 8/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, AshuraDX said:

Well, how do you feel about this?

BI4UjMN.png

Moonbase Barrels phase 2? 😄

Just click the image to download a pk3 for the ball.
It includes a PBR Material for Rend2 - but I am not 100% certain I set it up correctly. Been to long and this was a 1 hour job so I didn't take a lot of time to look things up. And I don't have Rend2 set up atm so I could not test it unfortunately.

Maybe @SomaZ can verify the .mtr. The Normal map is in OpenGL Format (Negative Y axis) Not sure if I'd need to flip it in the material using the normalScale parm.

I also didn't remember how to change an NPCs bounding box. It feels a bit tall at the moment.

Long time no see 🙂

I will definitely try this out shortly as you have put the effort to make it work as you did with moonbase!

Words fail to express how surprised and amazed and delighted I am by the advancements on this map. It is beyond exquisite. I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for working on this project and pushing just what this game engine can do! Thank you!