20 Brush or Minimalist map challenge?

I was browsing the old contest pages on Mapcore and I thought it might be fun to throw the idea out about having a 20 Brush or Minimalist map challenge?
Nothing too big or cray, just something light and fun designed to creative juices flowing away from all the hub-bub of show accurate, massively detailed stuff we're seeing now.
Just some suggestions for format:

20 brush challenge
- Structural brush count. Triggers, skyboxes etc do not count to the limit.

Minimalist texture challenge
- Predetermined number of texture files. Shader files for glowmaps/enviromaps etc could be discussed.

Minimalist 20 brush challenge
- Combination of the above 2 challenges.

I mean just a thought, what do the rest of you think?

NumberWan likes this

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

1 minute ago, mrwonko said:

Limitations stimulate creativity, could make for a fun contest. But 20 brushes seems extremely low. How about 42 or 69?

But at the same time, wouldn't using more brushes defeat the purpose of the "less is more" concept? Careful use of brushes and creative use of textures makes your brain think a bit more. But I mean if we went forward with it as a challenge, or set of challenges, I think the overall formats could be worked out before it went official.

This is something that's been requested a few times before but it never seemed like there were enough mappers around that would be interested in it. I'm still willing to make it an official contest, I just worry about very limited participation.

I already have the next contest planned but maybe this could be the following one.

ZeroRaven likes this
Just now, Circa said:

This is something that's been requested a few times before but it never seemed like there were enough mappers around that would be interested in it. I'm still willing to make it an official contest, I just worry about very limited participation.

I already have the next contest planned but maybe this could be the following one.

Thanks for the consideration at the very least. Any idea on how it would be formatted? Single challenge, 3 part challenge etc? Or is it something you'd wanna figure out after the upcoming contest?

• 1 month later...

There has been a 10 brushes contest on map-craft back in 2010 or so, was fun, since you had to be creative. (this meant 10 visible brushes, so your skybox didnt count). I can tell you, people started learning modeling like crazy šŸ˜‰

The more fun challenge was the 5 texture in a certain box challenge. You get 5 active textures, and you get a layout in which you gotta work.

ZeroRaven likes this