Converting/opening ROQ files

Go to solution Solved by mjt,

I'm looking to convert JA's ROQ files to a more practical format. I tried using Quake Video Maker, importing the ROQ as a "animation sequence", but while it does import successfully, both the preview and the exported files are slightly glitchy versions of the original format.

Check out the red planet on the left, for example:

https://jkhub.org/albums/8RL0SaA

Am I missing something? Is there another way to do this?

• Solution

ffmpeg can convert into .roq format much easier:

with audio:

ffmpeg -i inputfilename.containerextension -ab 256k -ar 22050 -r 30 -s 512x512 outputfilename.roq

without audio:

ffmpeg -i inputfilename.containerextension -r 30 -s 512x512 outputfilename.roq

The reverse should work just as fine but might need some different parameters.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:36 PM, mjt said:

ffmpeg can convert into .roq format much easier:

with audio:

ffmpeg -i inputfilename.containerextension -ab 256k -ar 22050 -r 30 -s 512x512 outputfilename.roq

without audio:

ffmpeg -i inputfilename.containerextension -r 30 -s 512x512 outputfilename.roq

The reverse should work just as fine but might need some different parameters.

I've had a lot of trouble with FFMPEG, as well as trying to find a decent GUI for it. What exactly would the reverse parameters/commands be? The plan is that I want to upscale JA's (and maybe JO's) cutscenes and release it as a mod for the community, but without a proper way to capture those files in a non-ROQ format, I'm a bit stuck.

EDIT: Found a working GUI, FFMPEG did the trick, thanks.

mjt likes this
  • 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 12:05 AM, Botdra said:

I've had a lot of trouble with FFMPEG, as well as trying to find a decent GUI for it. What exactly would the reverse parameters/commands be? The plan is that I want to upscale JA's (and maybe JO's) cutscenes and release it as a mod for the community, but without a proper way to capture those files in a non-ROQ format, I'm a bit stuck.

EDIT: Found a working GUI, FFMPEG did the trick, thanks.

How's the result coming along? Also - how do you intend to increase the quality beyond the maximum .roq resolution supported by the game?

16 minutes ago, mjt said:

How's the result coming along? Also - how do you intend to increase the quality beyond the maximum .roq resolution supported by the game?

He has upscaled all of the Jedi Academy videos. He shared some of the results in this topic: 

As for the ROQ files, I don't know if he attempted to convert them. My concern is that the upscaled videos need to be drastically compressed in order for the game to handle them. That's why I suggested to look for a way to replace ROQ videos with better video formats, such as AVI or MP4. If it can be done, adding higher quality videos shouldn't be a huge problem anymore.

mjt likes this