OpenJK not working on Linux

My current distro is Pop!_OS. I only recently switched over so I'm unsure how most things work. I downloaded and installed the most recent build of OpenJk and have it being run through proton on Steam like I do with the base game. Base game works fine, I've been playing SP and MP both with zero issues. But when I try to run the game with OpenJk it causes my entire machine to remain softlocked and rarely even gets passed the activision title screen. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I fixed it and would like to share my answer with the class.

Basically just use Wine. If Wine isn't working then you need to fix it. I had to delete my original Wine folder manually and then reinstall. Make sure you are using the latest version of wine too

9 hours ago, bigphil2695 said:

My current distro is Pop!_OS. I only recently switched over so I'm unsure how most things work. I downloaded and installed the most recent build of OpenJk and have it being run through proton on Steam like I do with the base game. Base game works fine, I've been playing SP and MP both with zero issues. But when I try to run the game with OpenJk it causes my entire machine to remain softlocked and rarely even gets passed the activision title screen. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

OpenJK and I think EternalJK both come with linux binaries.  So there is no need to run the game using proton or wine.

https://builds.openjk.org/

If you scroll down you will see there are linux builds that are already built and ready to download.

If wine works for you that's fine, personally I do not see the point of using it when the OpenJK supports linux.

bigphil2695 likes this
11 hours ago, Bubbles said:

OpenJK and I think EternalJK both come with linux binaries.  So there is no need to run the game using proton or wine.

https://builds.openjk.org/

If you scroll down you will see there are linux builds that are already built and ready to download.

If wine works for you that's fine, personally I do not see the point of using it when the OpenJK supports linux.

I've tried the most recent one and no luck. I could probably sift through it for a while, but the Wine solution is just easier.