Is there any simple way to replace texture path on existing map?

Go to solution Solved by Droidy365,

So, Im curently finishing combining Nina mods into antology, and I encounter a problem. In two maps there is a two diffirent textures with the same name. It is sky texture. 

So In order to combine this two map in one mod, I need to rename one of the texture and replace texture path in the map. Is there a way to do so? Like we can edit entities on existing map. 

Droidy365 likes this
  • Solution

The simplest way would be to edit it in a HEX editor. I'd recommend HxD, as it makes life a lot easier.

So to demonstrate, I'm using the academy1.bsp map, renamed to acasky.bsp. Make sure you backup your file when you do this.

Open up your BSP file with HxD and search for the textures you want to replace with CTRL + F. I'm searching for textures/skies/yavin.

image.png

What you want to do is replace the texture name with something with the same amount of characters.

My texture, yavin, has 5 characters. I'm going to replace it with space, since that's a base texture that conveniently has the right amount of letters.

image.png

Before:

Base-Profile-Screenshot-2022-05-14-20-25

After:

Base-Profile-Screenshot-2022-05-14-20-25

In your case, you'll want to rename your new texture to something slightly different, but make sure it has the same amount of characters. If it has a different amount, the map's file size may change, and the map may become corrupted. You may encounter multiple instances of the texture you want to replace, it'll probably be a matter of trial and error finding out which lot of textures you want to replace.

Hope this helped and wasn't too confusing 😄

zahar likes this