Jedi Outcast 20th Anniversary Developer Retrospective

Circa

It's been 20 years since Jedi Outcast launched in 2002, if you can believe that. This masterpiece of a game truly defined what it means to be Jedi in a video game, even to this day, with its intricate lightsaber combat and Force powers. Continuing the Dark Forces story, Outcast follows the mercenary turned Jedi, Kyle Katarn, after he shuts himself off from the Force and returns to being an agent of the New Republic.

With such a milestone anniversary, I really wanted to do something special here, and unfortunately I did not get this published in time for the actual day, yesterday. I'm hoping I will be forgiven for being late with how great this project turned out.

I got a chance to sit down with 5 of the developers of Jedi Outcast over a Zoom call and not only did they take time to talk with me about this wonderful game, but they talked to me for nearly 3 hours. I cut it down to just 2 hours. It's clear from the very beginning that they were truly passionate about this game and consider it their proudest achievement. Take a look at the video below and listen as they reminisce and chat about development and that era of their careers!

Reddit post

View full article

Smoo, Asulynn and Droidy365 like this

Awesome job, awesome interview! This brings me a tear of joy I'll never forget.

I knew something was stirring from that green banner the other day, and absolutely the wait has been worth it. Thanks you all for this, it means a lot and is always inspirational to see the original JK team talking about the game.

May the force be with you. Always!

Interesting to hear the anecdotes of the creating of the game, wish they had more - why dont they remember every little detail of 20 years ago!!!   *sarcasm*

Good of you to put this together, nice to see all involved had good memories of the experience.

Six hour, 20 year Jedi academy anniversary video next year!    

GamerRedNeck, MagSul, Circa and 1 other like this

If you were waiting on the subtitles to go up, they are up and working. Sorry for the wait. For some reason YouTube took forever to process it and then they didn't automatically publish them when they were done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...