Model Porting from JK3 to JK2

I am new to modelling and am having an issue when trying to port JK3 models to JK2. I am following the tutorial Mr. Wonko posted here

as close as I can, and everytime I port a model, it looks ok in JK2, but they won't hold the lightsaber, it just appears in the middle of their body. I feel like I am missing a step, but I am not sure what. Any help would be appreciated.

CansecoDev likes this

I just tried using ported models that someone else did and put on JKhub and they are doing the same thing, with the lightsaber just appearing in the middle of the body. So it seems like this is an issue with the port process itself. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

So I figured out that the problem wasn't actually with the porting, but that JKO only allows a certain number of model names. I thought the limit was for npcs but apparently it's actual model folder names. So you can port as many models as you want, but the names of the ported folders have to match existing model folders i.e. reborn, jedi, etc. If the name of the model folder is something new like cultist, whenever you try to use that model, it will hold a weapon strangely. Wierd. Also, in case anyone actually reads this and is having issues porting issues, make sure you use the most recent version of blender and the jk plug in. I know it seems obvious, but I started off using an older version of blender that I downloaded a while ago, and had all kinds of other problems until i switched to latest version and the problems disappeared 

FullPizza Alchemist likes this

@qball13

Here's the thing: Jedi Academy uses an entirely different, more complex skeleton than Jedi Outcast. In order to make the Jedi Academy model work properly, you need to replace the skeleton with the Jedi Outcast one. Also, if I remember correctly, Jedi Outcast has a smaller mesh limit, which means you need to optimize the Jedi Academy model for it to work.

Save yourself all the work and stress and get Galactic Legacy. https://www.moddb.com/mods/swgl/downloads/star-wars-galactic-legacy-part-1-of-2

It's a Jedi Academy mod that also offers compatibility with Jedi Outcast (not 100% perfect yet, but still). It would be a win-win for you, because you get all the Jedi Outcast missions and full compatibility with all the models that were designed for Jedi Academy.

Asgarath83 and Teancum like this

Jedi Academy's skeleton is only more complex in some ways. For example there's another bone for the left-hand saber. But in other ways, it's simpler: you no longer have bones for each individual finger, for example.

An automatic conversion should still be feasible, and would be the best solution imo. This kind of task does not require any creativity or thought, you simply perform a list of steps. You don't need a human for that.

• 2 weeks later...

That's right. Is possible to easy use JK2 models into JKA.

but the inverse operation require re-rig the JKA model with JK2 skeleton.

if i remember fine, Jka skeleton have 53 bones, JKO skeleton 72 bones.

I agree to wonko and canseco that a script that make autoconversion should be the best way to solve the problem. fix it manually can be a lot tedious.

(re-rig model, or manually add missing bones and do hierarchy and eventually rig of it)