Changes to Assets1.pk3 Not Being Reflected In-Game

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

Though PakScape, I went thru assets1.pk3/ext_data/npcs and changed the FP_SABERTHROW value of every lightsaber wielding NPC to 0 so they wouldn't perform that skill anymore. 

I also went thru assets1.pk3/ext_data/sabers and, in dual_1.sab - dual_5.sab, changed the singleBladeStyle value to strong so that it would replace medium style when using a staff.

I extracted every file, changed them, replaced the old ones and saved all the changes in assets1.pk3.  However, the changes are not reflected in game.  Is there something more required?

• Solution

Hi,

First of all:

Never directly change files in the assets*.pk3 files.

Copy the files you want to change to a new pk3 file and make your changes there. Then name your new pk3 file so that it is loaded after the original. Files are loaded alphabetically, so naming your file "my_tweaks.pk3" or anything that does not start with an "a" will get you there.

However, if you did in fact replace and overwrite those files in the original pk3 it should load the changes ingame. Did you actually place your modified pk3 in the base folder?

Iirc, by default, any files taken from the original .pk3 file are set as read only, did you change the access permissions?

lionsoul likes this
6 hours ago, AshuraDX said:

Hi,

First of all:

Never directly change files in the assets*.pk3 files.

Copy the files you want to change to a new pk3 file and make your changes there. Then name your new pk3 file so that it is loaded after the original. Files are loaded alphabetically, so naming your file "my_tweaks.pk3" or anything that does not start with an "a" will get you there.

However, if you did in fact replace and overwrite those files in the original pk3 it should load the changes ingame. Did you actually place your modified pk3 in the base folder?

Iirc, by default, any files taken from the original .pk3 file are set as read only, did you change the access permissions?

Hello, thanks for the help.  

I'll keep that in mind about directly changing the assets file.

And yes, I saved it in the base folder.  Also, I was able to do all of this without changing any access permissions.  And, after closing and reopening PakScape, I loaded assets1 and confirmed that my changes had indeed been saved.

Try doing what ashura recommended with making your own PK3 file, not only is it a better way to mod your game, you don't break anything and need to reinstall.

Also, are you using OpenJK or any other mod? It's possible that the assets are installed twice in different locations or something like that. That has happened to me before.

There is also a chance that some of those values are hardcoded depending on the NPC. There are a lot of nuances to NPCs and sabers that aren't reflected in the NPC files.

AshuraDX likes this
12 minutes ago, Circa said:

Try doing what ashura recommended with making your own PK3 file, not only is it a better way to mod your game, you don't break anything and need to reinstall.

Also, are you using OpenJK or any other mod? It's possible that the assets are installed twice in different locations or something like that. That has happened to me before.

There is also a chance that some of those values are hardcoded depending on the NPC. There are a lot of nuances to NPCs and sabers that aren't reflected in the NPC files.

Ashura's advice of making my own pk3 did the trick, but upon further investigation there WAS another modded pk3 overruling the changes I made to assets.  We're all good now tho, thanks you guys for the quick and very helpful responses!

Circa and AshuraDX like this