Need help with single player map

Go to solution Solved by MagSul,

What exactly are you trying to get the door to do on the cargo container? 

I'm trying to get it to do this:

Screenshot-2023-02-13-111721.png

Yes, it moves with the cargo container:

Screenshot-2023-02-13-111753.png

All of that being said - in my opinion, the best way forward would be to go without a door on the cargo container; if you want a classic star-wars style take on it, use a nonsolid force field in place of the door.

I agree with that statement, I can always put the script for the door in later if I figure it out.

Is the a way to put a mine under a brush and have it trigger on a delay when the player gets to close to it?

Also how can I get the switch textures to change when pressed?

17 hours ago, undeadslayer said:

Question, do I need write a script for a briefing menu?

As far as I know, scripts are in-game only and have nothing to do with menus, but I don't mod single player so I could be wrong.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, undeadslayer said:

Is the a way to put a mine under a brush and have it trigger on a delay when the player gets to close to it?

Also how can I get the switch textures to change when pressed?

For a mine under a brush, anything you need triggered can be done with a trigger_once or trigger_multiple. For a delay, you can use a target_delay. As far as the mine itself, I'm sure you'd want to use a func_breakable for the floor, and there are several routes to go for an explosion.

As for the switch changing textures, there are a few ways to do that, depending on how the button works. From memory, I beileve a func_button entity will allow you to use an animMap shader, and it will switch from the first texture to the second when it is used. I think. Been a long time since I poked at that.

Another option is shader remapping, but that can get pretty messy and I'm not sure it works in single player.

I having trouble with this door:

Screenshot-2023-02-18-135937.png

The trigger in front of the door is supposed to read trigger_multiple but for some reason it changes to what is shown in the screenshot. Also, when in game when the player gets to close to the door it sometimes opens by itself. What am I doing wrong here?

6 hours ago, undeadslayer said:

Is the a way to have the cargo container stop at a certain point, then have it begin again from that point by switch?

Any sort of conditional movement between varying distances/locations must be done with a script. Any movement between just two points is a func_door.

2 hours ago, undeadslayer said:

I having trouble with this door:

Screenshot-2023-02-18-135937.png

The trigger in front of the door is supposed to read trigger_multiple but for some reason it changes to what is shown in the screenshot. Also, when in game when the player gets to close to the door it sometimes opens by itself. What am I doing wrong here?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but textures/system/trigger is invisible in-game. It is visible within Radiant only. As far as the door opening by itself when the player gets close, all doors do this by default unless they have a targetname (Triggered by a button or a trigger) or have the player_use box checked.

I'm not sure how you keep doing it, but you have a func_door1 and two func_usable1 entities. These are not valid classnames. Do not change the classname value of anything in Radiant. They should be func_door and func_usable. By changing the classname, they will no longer work in-game, and their brushes may be culled by the compiler.

Two things come to mind.

First, is Radiant set up to edit the correct game? It's really a shot in the dark, but maybe there's a different game with an entity setup like that.

Second, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this...I do not recommend anyone use Radiant 1.5. I don't know if that is causing your issue, but for now you might try NetRadiant or Radiant 1.4 and see if it persists. I can not recommend Radiant 1.6 because it has even more bugs than 1.5 does. NetRadiant or 1.4 are the only reasonable options.

First, is Radiant set up to edit the correct game? 

Radiant settings are set for jedi academy.

Second, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this...I do not recommend anyone use Radiant 1.5. I don't know if that is causing your issue, but for now you might try NetRadiant or Radiant 1.4 and see if it persists. 

I did not realize radiant 1.5 was so buggy everything I read about that version said that it was stable. I will have to install 1.4 and NetRadiant, and give those a try.

Radiant 1.5 is highly controversial. Many people swear by it. And then it does stupid stuff like this. There's even a bug in it that causes a phantom sv_setBrushModel: null error. I would never recommend it to anyone.

I don't like NetRadiant either, but at least it has a better chance of these things being patched, since it's in active development. (NetRadiant is based off of Radiant 1.5)

• 2 weeks later...

Nonsolid anything is accomplished with a shader. Use a shader with surfaceparm nonsolid for the force field itself, and on all other surfaces of the brush use either textures/system/nodraw or textures/system/caulk_nonsolid.

What do you mean by reading a string file?

• 3 weeks later...

Radiant 1.4 might be trying to load files from another version of Radiant. Is it installed in a separate location from ever other version?

Sorry for the late reply, 1.4.0 is now the only version that is installed.

Also, IIRC 1.4 needs to be run as administrator.

What is the IIRC?

Screenshot-2023-04-03-113815.png

Also shouldn't there be more misc items in this list than what is showing?

On Windows Vista and above, you have to right-click Radiant and choose "Run as administrator" or it will be unable to save map files. I haven't tried it on Windows 10, since I no longer use Windows.

Also, your entity list looks fine, nothing to worry about. You'll likely only use a handful of the misc_ entities anyway.