Discord and Jkhub Integration

Hola,

Now I am not sure there is a solution to this but it is obviously somewhat of a issue.

The discord server JKCommunity provides a lot of great advice, guides and solutions to specific issues. The issue being is over time the info fades into past messages and searching the discord for help with a particular issue that has already been answered can be troublesome.

Also since Discord is now so popular it is not doing this forum any good in terms of activity. The advantage of the forum is clear. Its all indexed into the correct areas and easily searchable. I think it would be a shame if this forum completely died out due to people prefering to use discord.

I think a potential solution is to integrate the JKCommunity discord with JKhub. I dont know the feasiability of this or even how effective it would be. I do know that IPB has several soloutions for integration though. e.g. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9287-brilliant-discord-integration/

Obviously, it does cost money though.

But thats all I gotta say on it. I think it could be good for the community if there was more of a link between discord and the forum.

None of us are admins on the JKCommunity server, so we really have no control over any of that. And making a new server would kind of defeat the purpose of JKC.

I also don’t see how integration would be all that beneficial. Discord and forums are very different things and have their own strengths, weaknesses, and purposes. I love Discord but I don’t really think merging it into the forum would do anything other than clutter it with features that most people would probably not bother to use.

It’s a good suggestion though, and I’m not dismissing it completely.

I dont suggest making a new server. It would have to be with the consent of the JKC admins and the forum.

Ye, I agree. My hope was that there was a plugin that allowed new threads to show up on discord. e.g. If someone asks for help with an issue it would show up on discord.  Also with increased integration if someone stated something useful on discord it would be easier to share on the forum.

Not 100% sure how it would work or if it is even worthwhile. There is an active modding community though. The thing is this is the defacto website for JK modding which has lost activity due to discord. Would be nice if activity picked up more. Maybe if both communities were linked it would benefit both.

4 hours ago, Bubbles said:

The thing is this is the defacto website for JK modding which has lost activity due to discord. Would be nice if activity picked up more.

I don’t really think that’s the case. The forum has been losing activity slowly for years. I don’t think Discord is the cause of that, I think it’s just how the community has shrunk over the years. Sure people are still modding and you might see those conversations on Discord, more than here, but I think it’s more of a difference in quality of content. Getting instant help in a live chat is a valuable resource, but so is showcasing your content on a forum or writing a tutorial. I personally would rather see a thread with meaningful posts rather than a 80 page thread of posts that just say “cool!” or “lol” or other meaningless things like that. Though I have nostalgia for using forums that way, I prefer to use them to their strength in this day and age.

You make all good points though and it’s all something I’ve been considering. I’ll have to discuss it further with the staff and JKC admins soon and see what we can do. 🙂

Lwkill and Artemis like this