Limited Run editions arrive

Circa

Limited Run editions arrive

As most people around here know, the third party company dedicated to making limited collector’s editions of retro video games, Limited Run Games, did a run of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, back in April. Obviously orders were limited for these, but they have finally begun to arrive at peoples’ homes over the last few weeks. I personally ordered the PC version of both JO and JA, and thought people might be interested in details of these editions.

First off, these come with a lot of stuff. I’ll be posting pictures of all of it, and go into a little detail on each thing.

Jedi Outcast (Overview)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jedi Academy (Overview)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jedi Outcast Concept Art

The concept art post cards are really cool. I’m sure these were somewhere on the internet before, but this was the first time I had seen them. One looks like the howler NPC that we didn’t end up seeing until JKA. Another is showing the Doomgiver’s underbelly, and the last is the outside of Kejim Outpost.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jedi Academy Concept Art

I love saber hilt concept art and these are pretty darn close to what they look like in-game. The Yavin Runner shuttle design is pretty cool and I always thought it looked like something you’d see zooming around Coruscant. The other cards just basically show shots from random levels, which isn’t nearly as cool.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Retrospectives

Each come with a small booklet that has a little statement from Edwin Evans-Thirwell and Ed Smith, who I believe are gaming journalists. I feel this was a huge missed opportunity to have retrospectives from the developers themselves. These are very wordy and one talks mostly about Movie Battles, which I won’t deny is the most popular mode these days, but is odd to mention in a retrospective meant to talk about the game’s history itself, not a fan made mod. Nonetheless, still cool.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thumb drive installers

One of the interesting parts of these bundles is the thumb drive. Both include an .exe installer for the game, and a PDF of the original guide that was included with the game back in the day. The installers seem to be brand new, and allow you to install each game without a disc at all. I verified that you can copy the installer, remove the drive, and install it from anywhere. Each is the latest version of the game (JK2 SP 1.03, MP 1.04 | JKA 1.01) and don’t need the disc to run. 😳 I was glad for this because I didn’t want to ever have to open the CD packaging (not that I’d need the installers anyway, but if Steam or GOG ever magically disappear, I’m still safe. It’s just nice that they actually are useful. I wasn’t expecting anything on these 2GB drives, but when I saw installers, I half expected them to just be disc dumps.

Thoughts?

Overall these are awesome collector’s editions. Huge thanks to Limited Run Games for making these and still giving so much love to games considered to be dead. These games will always live on here on JKHub, on the servers, in the communities, and now on our shelves and walls. I will be hanging at least one of the posters at my place, and the pins are going on my car sun visor, for sure. Anyone else get theirs? Any non-PC editions to share?

View full article

NumberWan and Aldro Koon like this
8 minutes ago, Smoo said:

Can you do a video also? 😄

They're pretty cool to see. I'm actually interested how the manuals looked because I only owned a platinum kind of edition of the games that didn't have manuals

There are no physical manuals, everything I pictured is what is included. I do wish they had them. The PDF versions on the thumb drives are the same as the ones here and here.

Smoo and {JoF} Atlas like this
3 hours ago, Circa said:

There are no physical manuals, everything I pictured is what is included. I do wish they had them. The PDF versions on the thumb drives are the same as the ones here and here.

Wow never knew we had the pdfs here, haha. But would like to see you do a video haha

12 hours ago, fullkevlar said:

What's in the jedi academy blister pack, a cd copy of the game?

Yep! I did not open mine, I want to keep it pristine, but I imagine it either has the same installer as the thumb drive or just the traditional disc version.

10 hours ago, Smoo said:

Wow never knew we had the pdfs here, haha. But would like to see you do a video haha

I’m no youtuber but if people want to see me show off this stuff I could!

3 hours ago, NAB622 said:

I had chosen to pass on this, mostly because I don't need more stuff laying around. I wish I had gotten them for two reasons - the posters would be wonderfully tacky on my wall, and I did not think the USB drives would have an EXE installer.

Regardless - neato!

Yeah, I don’t think they stated anything about the installer or the thumb drive at all other than it just being a thumb drive. I was pleasantly surprised. I do wish they had the JKA logo instead of the LF one but they are still cool.

Smoo likes this

Looks interesting, but I already have a digital copy from GOG and I'm not sure I would like to have a physical collector's edition. One of the reasons – physical space 😅  I already have Dark Forces II box back from 1997 and Kyle Katarn's Action figure, so I feel like already having a little physical part of JK series at home.

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 2:43 AM, Circa said:

Retrospectives

Each come with a small booklet that has a little statement from Edwin Evans-Thirwell and Ed Smith, who I believe are gaming journalists. I feel this was a huge missed opportunity to have retrospectives from the developers themselves. These are very wordy and one talks mostly about Movie Battles, which I won’t deny is the most popular mode these days, but is odd to mention in a retrospective meant to talk about the game’s history itself, not a fan made mod. Nonetheless, still cool.

Yes, this is the biggest disappointment. I bought this expecting retrospectives from the game developers, not gaming "journalists".

I also expected some promo art inside the USB drives, but having a DRM-free copy of the game fully updated is good enough.

Circa likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Plague-Angel said:

Lovely sets to have, especially like the old school big old cardboard game box 🙂

Strange they used Lucas Film instead of Lucas Arts though... guessing it was some copyright issue.

Are you opening the blister pack or keeping it "mint"?

Well LucasArts hasn’t existed since 2014, so it makes sense they’d use LucasFilm for the branding. All of this stuff was licensed from LF.

I’m keeping the blister pack mint since I don’t need to use it. Not only because of the digital copy on the drive, but I still have my old discs as well.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for sharing. Seems nice.

The booklets really are a worse than a joke though. Reads like some boomer half-heartedly describing the multiplayer with more attention to "flowery" word choice than accuracy, all so that the text manages to neatly flow into its final conclusion: The JK2 community is patriarchal. What the hell? Didn't even bother with a nice typesetting. Just slap that bold bizarrely oversized Arial in there and call it a day. Like it's made for children who are learning to read. Almost feels like it's supposed to be an insult to the player for liking the game. Show him he's not even worth the time to set the paragraph settings in InDesign to Justify.

Should have reprinted the manual instead.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:54 AM, TomArrow said:

Thanks for sharing. Seems nice.

The booklets really are a worse than a joke though. Reads like some boomer half-heartedly describing the multiplayer with more attention to "flowery" word choice than accuracy, all so that the text manages to neatly flow into its final conclusion: The JK2 community is patriarchal. What the hell? Didn't even bother with a nice typesetting. Just slap that bold bizarrely oversized Arial in there and call it a day. Like it's made for children who are learning to read. Almost feels like it's supposed to be an insult to the player for liking the game. Show him he's not even worth the time to set the paragraph settings in InDesign to Justify.

Should have reprinted the manual instead.

Definitely was the worst part of it. They should have had reflections from the devs that worked on it talking about their experience making the game, rather than random “game journalists”

Sad part is I know a lot of those devs would have gladly written something, they all are proud of both games and the work they put into them. A couple used to lurk around the community in the past and still might from time to time.

TomArrow likes this