Big Phil trying his best (WIP Thread)

Decided to stop screeching into the void on my wall. Will be moving my WIPs over here. 

Speaking of WIPs

Here's a model I got done, and forgot to finish the rest of the file.

Commander Karbin from the Vader comics. A very silly looking character. The model is pretty much done, all he needs is team support, an NPC (the one I'm using is compressed into a large NPC file for optimization reasons) Bot support, and possibly sounds. But Karbin is ready for launch here soon. 

Body Textures are custom. I saw in the source material Karbin had a TON of different body designs. I picked the gray and brown Grievous look from Vader down. Maybe I'll add a four armed version, and a version from where he was wearing pants. Either way this particular model is ready to go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not joking, this is a real character lol

spacer.png

19 hours ago, bigphil2695 said:

Decided to stop screeching into the void on my wall. Will be moving my WIPs over here. 

Speaking of WIPs

Here's a model I got done, and forgot to finish the rest of the file.

Commander Karbin from the Vader comics. A very silly looking character. The model is pretty much done, all he needs is team support, an NPC (the one I'm using is compressed into a large NPC file for optimization reasons) Bot support, and possibly sounds. But Karbin is ready for launch here soon. 

Body Textures are custom. I saw in the source material Karbin had a TON of different body designs. I picked the gray and brown Grievous look from Vader down. Maybe I'll add a four armed version, and a version from where he was wearing pants. Either way this particular model is ready to go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not joking, this is a real character lol

spacer.png

Its a fun mash up character, but its reflective of one of the things I do not like about current Star Wars - why does everything have to be a near identical re-hash copy of something else?

The force awakens was extremely close to being just a full new hope clone.

Kylo Ren was made very Vader-like - which okay storywise he was a descendant;  but then they make him part of something new,  the Knights of Ren, but then do nothing with the new characters or Kylos association to the unknown group?

And the Last Jedi rehash of the Hoth seige of an rebel base by atat, but it takes place on "salt" instead of snow, which had to be pointed out by a throwaway line by a random actor.

Not to mention Rise of Skywalker doing much from the Return of the Jedi, the join me or watch your friends die in space scene...

And baby yoda, which is just yoda, but a baby......    

As well as countless other rehash.    George Lucas liked to say "its like poetry, it rhymes".    But its reached the point where "its like self-plagiarism, its copied."

Lol, silly rant aside, its a fun mash up character and its nice to see you keep working and coming up with new characters and ideas.   To plagiarize a bit of dialogue, as is customary in the new Star Wars : "I will be watching this thread with great interest.".  

Jeff, Cor, Dark_Reaper and 1 other like this
2 minutes ago, fullkevlar said:

Its a fun mash up character, but its reflective of one of the things I do not like about current Star Wars - why does everything have to be a near identical re-hash copy of something else?

The force awakens was extremely close to being just a full new hope clone.

Kylo Ren was made very Vader-like - which okay storywise he was a descendant;  but then they make him part of something new,  the Knights of Ren, but then do nothing with the new characters or Kylos association to the unknown group?

And the Last Jedi rehash of the Hoth seige of an rebel base by atat, but it takes place on "salt" instead of snow, which had to be pointed out by a throwaway line by a random actor.

Not to mention Rise of Skywalker doing much from the Return of the Jedi, the join me or watch your friends die in space scene...

And baby yoda, which is just yoda, but a baby......    

As well as countless other rehash.    George Lucas liked to say "its like poetry, it rhymes".    But its reached the point where "its like plagiarism, its copied."

Lol, silly rant aside, its a fun mash up character and its nice to see you keep working and coming up with new characters and ideas.   To plagiarize a bit of dialogue, as is customary in the new Star Wars : "I will be watching this thread with great interest.".  

Oh I totally agree with your rant. See, I don't just want to do kitbashed models forever. But this character, if you look at the art, is 100% drawn from literal traced images. This was literally a JK style Frankenstein, but in drawing form.

Still though, I kind of liked his backstory. He was a former separatist obsessed with grievous. Personally, I would have done something a lot different though. But hey, it's fun lol 

Alright boyos.

Got a handful of projects I am considering.

Ren

spacer.png

Inquisitor Galen Marek

spacer.png

Galen already has pretty much the entire model done. I'm actually just waiting for permission because it's built out of Kualan's Inquisitor, and The Punisher's Galen pack.

Ren is still just in the early planning phase. But I am looking at models, and modelling techniques to get him done. The whole model will probably only take a few hours upon actually starting it.

If anyone has any suggestions, or tips on modding, do not hesitate to throw them my way.

Commander Karbin will be going back up soon. Apparently there was ported content in the head model. I have found a new head, and have attached it. The big issue is that the cape is glitching out on me. Might make a thread to see if this can be fixed. Not entirely sure why the cape is doing this, since it's only happening in game. Might try slightly remodeling the cape. It will be resubmitted either today, or tomorrow.

Hey! I really like the idea of making this character real, looks quite badass. I have an eye for kitbashing and had a few ideas if you don't mind trying them out 😛

Anyways, I instantly recognized that the legs look extremely similar to the Darth Maul legs without the skirt. With some brighter boots, it'd look pretty spot on maybe minus the bit of armor on the feet. 

https://gyazo.com/b458c288bbbe6d76f96beb27c9da4efa

As for Ren's skirt, I instantly thought of the KOTOR Jedi model. That made black with perhaps some padding from this Samurai model from mrwonko.de and it'd look dead on.

https://gyazo.com/a1e9cc0b347847b6dad30e6343a7f3e9

https://gyazo.com/387219bcc16642491654c0676702f086
The belt looks nearly identical to that of the TFU version of Darth Sion, which someone ported, so you could use that.

https://gyazo.com/71ef4c524d38e324fa19f2ed1a1c2b2b

And then there's the mask... I was thinking a retextured Jedi Temple Guard mask would work excellently.

https://gyazo.com/4a2c19aa71049de1266ac0f2c8803859

Delmi and bigphil2695 like this
On 2/6/2021 at 6:13 AM, bigphil2695 said:

Inquisitor Galen Marek

spacer.png

Galen already has pretty much the entire model done. I'm actually just waiting for permission because it's built out of Kualan's Inquisitor, and The Punisher's Galen pack.

I cannot wait to see how this one looks, I love seeing how modders model differently, and JKHub needs this guy in their files.

bigphil2695 likes this
10 hours ago, Thrawn the Prophet said:

Hey! I really like the idea of making this character real, looks quite badass. I have an eye for kitbashing and had a few ideas if you don't mind trying them out 😛

Anyways, I instantly recognized that the legs look extremely similar to the Darth Maul legs without the skirt. With some brighter boots, it'd look pretty spot on maybe minus the bit of armor on the feet. 

https://gyazo.com/b458c288bbbe6d76f96beb27c9da4efa

As for Ren's skirt, I instantly thought of the KOTOR Jedi model. That made black with perhaps some padding from this Samurai model from mrwonko.de and it'd look dead on.

https://gyazo.com/a1e9cc0b347847b6dad30e6343a7f3e9

https://gyazo.com/387219bcc16642491654c0676702f086
The belt looks nearly identical to that of the TFU version of Darth Sion, which someone ported, so you could use that.

https://gyazo.com/71ef4c524d38e324fa19f2ed1a1c2b2b

And then there's the mask... I was thinking a retextured Jedi Temple Guard mask would work excellently.

https://gyazo.com/4a2c19aa71049de1266ac0f2c8803859

I'll keep those models in mind let me hunt down that Sion especially, since most of his body could be ported for the model.

The easy thing about making Ren. Even though he's shirtless, his neck and head are different colors

Alright, I'm now applying the new textures. I think the torso looks fine. I'll be making the hair a bit more mullety in blender soon too. The helmet textures are giving me some trouble though

spacer.pngspacer.png

Having a little trouble 

spacer.png

Does anyone know how to fix this? In game there is just a hole in the back of his head

spacer.png

OCD2 and DarthValeria like this

How do I uninvert the normals? Or cull as two sided?

Update 20 minutes later: I figured it out

Hair still looks weird. Need to buff out some of those weird bends in the model. Other than that I'm fairly happy. Can't work on this too much more tonight, gotta go to the dentist and fix a tooth ache. Wednesday and Thursday I will work the entire days to finish this. Then I'll work on Starkiller a bit more, just to get the final textures, and see if the staff will grant me permission to post it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Update (I don't know how to keep my replies from merging) :

I made another quick Frankenstein a few days ago. I don't plan to release Jedi Finn, unless I get permission from the creator of Finn. With this, and the officer Finn, I could probably release a Finn pack. Since the robes here are from spanki, I can recolor them. Possibly even give Jedi Finn SP support fully.

spacer.png

OCD2, krkarr, DarthValeria and 1 other like this

I took a break from working on this yesterday and just played the game (I did look at some shader stuff though). I feel like helmetless Ren is 90% done. He needs some more touching up, but everything is functional.  Still need a gauntlet, and maybe just some messing around with his clothing. I'm looking into some more modelling techniques to make the helmet from scratch. That way I can control how he model looks, and how textures are applied

OCD2 likes this

Alright, finally have an update on Ren, but unfortunately it's bad news. For some reason the helmet is interfering with the export. Says there's a non triangle face. Not really sure what it means by that. Is it that most of the model's faces aren't triangular? Is there an option in blender to do this? I have no clue why something like this would even be an issue.

spacer.png

Update as of 2 seconds later (once again I can't figure out why my posts are merging) I figured it out. Stay tuned for an in game screenshot. All that's left is the gauntlet

Update again: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DID IT DO THAT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

It seems I am having some issues with the helmet floating above the model rather than acting as part of his body. I will keep trying to fix this

spacer.png

DarthValeria likes this
9 minutes ago, AshuraDX said:

The torso texture could also use a rework, it looks very blurry and low resolution, almost reminds me of an old PS2 Game.

Did you paint it from scratch or is it sourced from somewhere?

I ran a texture and recoloring of another skin file. My photoshop skills are a bit rusty these days unfortunately.

I am, however opened to a full retexture of the model. It would be difficult, but the entire point in making these models is to educate myself.

I was looking through my Luke NPCs and realized I don't have a TLJ one. So I'm working on a Frankenstein. 

spacer.png

In TLJ Luke changes his outfit  A LOT, though it's not really noticeable unless you are looking

This pic here Luke is wearing a long robe underneath the cape/hood combo

spacer.png

Here however, Luke is only wearing the shirt under the cape

spacer.png

Looking closer, I'm not entirely sure if the hood is part of the cape, or if it's part of the under robe. For just brown robes, this outfit looks a bit complicated. At least I know the shoes kind of look like the ones in ANH so I know how to do that pretty easily

spacer.png

Ren Update:

tried to fix his torso textures a bit

spacer.png

This is the current texture file

spacer.png

DarthValeria likes this