THIS FILE IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED

Hi,

I see on every file uploaded here to the Downloads section, there is this section at the bottom:

THIS FILE IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN SOFTWARE, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS™ & © LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY, LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.

I'm making a video filmed in Jedi Academy and I'd like to clearly point out who owns the assets used and featured in the video. Did you take this phrasing from any official source, as a way to properly credit the authors/copyright holders? 

I know the phrasing "No copyright infringement" is useless if you're trying to avoid copyright strikes. My intention is not so much combatting Youtube's rules or protecting myself from legal issues as I'm not worried about that. I'm just trying to be fair and professional in my credits, as much as a fan-fic sw video on Youtube can be. I was also thinking of including the company logos at the bottom of the credits, but that might give the impression that it's licensed by those companies somehow? 

Thank you for your help.

I'm not sure where it originated, but I do know it started being required on readme files back in the early JK3Files days. I simply copied it from one, and updated it slightly. I'm not sure if it was written by a staff member or if they were contacted by Raven Software to include it. Maybe someone who was more involved back in the day would know.

8 hours ago, Cor said:

I'm making a video filmed in Jedi Academy and I'd like to clearly point out who owns the assets used and featured in the video. Did you take this phrasing from any official source, as a way to properly credit the authors/copyright holders? 

It's for the opposite: to say that none of those entities made or distributed the file, and that we are legally allowed to host them without permission. We have it built into every file page, which technically shouldn't be on the official Raven Software files, but it won't hurt anything.

So for a YouTube video that includes mods and JKA content, having that somewhere wouldn't hurt. Replace "file" with "video" would be fine. Of course, if you are using JKA footage, credit Raven Software, LucasArts, and Lucasfilm for their game assets. And if you are using mods, credit those mod creators as well.

Thank you!

I will most probably include it in the way you suggest. I don't suppose I should include Disney as well now? As for the mod creators, I do plan on making a list of all mod authors. The video uses parts of about 60 mods. Unfortunately I do believe I downloaded some with anonymous authors on a few websites. After all these years some creators are forgotten I guess.

53 minutes ago, Cor said:

Thank you!

I will most probably include it in the way you suggest. I don't suppose I should include Disney as well now? As for the mod creators, I do plan on making a list of all mod authors. The video uses parts of about 60 mods. Unfortunately I do believe I downloaded some with anonymous authors on a few websites. After all these years some creators are forgotten I guess.

Including Lucasfilm should be enough, they are the licensors. I don't think you'd need to add every single name of every single mod author, but maybe just the main ones you see and then just say that there are other mods that you didn't create that are seen. I think that would be enough.

Cor likes this