How to make a sprite move?

OCD2

I would like to try and make a two sided sprite (visible from both sides),  that scrolls out of a wall from right and stops, then back to the left starting position.

Start:      |           Scroll:    |----*          Return:    | -*        End:     |

What are the best options to achieve that effect?

An animap sequence seems like it might be choppy, could you use a tcmod scroll?   Can you control scroll distance, and make it reverse?

11 minutes ago, mrwonko said:

Where do you need this? Can you put it on a moving brush? A func_bobbing might work, I don't know if that can bob sideways.

Perhaps it could be on a moving brush...      Never thought of that as an option.

I was hoping to have a trigger cause the sprite animation to activate.     The intended effect would be to have the "sprite" come from out of a wall/brush, and then return into the wall.

Would it be possible to make an alpha shader "sprite" texture, and put it on say a caulk brush and have it move from left to right and back, on a trigger?      

18 minutes ago, fullkevlar said:

Would it be possible to make an alpha shader "sprite" texture, and put it on say a caulk brush and have it move from left to right and back, on a trigger?      

Yes. Use a func_door, and instead of caulk, use nodraw or nodraw_solid.

OCD2 likes this
9 minutes ago, NAB622 said:

Yes. Use a func_door, and instead of caulk, use nodraw or nodraw_solid.

Thank you, that makes sense.

Its the first day in about a month ive been able to sit and try to work on my project, feeling rusty!

ooeJack likes this