Back of Head Missing in-game (Help for a new person)

Hey all. New to this scene so thought I'd start things off easy by trying to do a frankenstein/kitbash model of Jeff's Jacen Model and a Luke Skywalker (Invasion) model.

Unfortunately, i'm getting this as a result in-game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7vrrl15ib1zgm7/holehead.jpg

It appears completely fine in Blender, so I'm sure this is coming from some kind of problem I might be having with my .skin files?

I had to mash up the .skin file between the Luke and Jacen ones, though I only really used the head for Jacen.

As these aren't my models, would it be ethical for me to provide a .zip dropbox so you guys can see what I'm doing wrong?

It's also worth noting that I'm playing Movie Duels, using the following console command to add my model in-

playermodel jacensolo model_default model_default model_default

Haven't quite figured out how to add custom models to the character select in Movie Duels just yet....

Cheers!

On 1/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, Razuun said:

Amazing, thank you Jeff.

((Especially since it was your head I snagged...))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4f8yzhp5c8gtdz/JacenSolo.pk3?dl=0

If at all possible, I'd really like to know where I went wrong here so I can improve in future.

Cheers, thank you so much!

The only thing missing was the shader file. Lazy modeler didn't flip the norms on the back and just used a shader to fix it. Create one and add this to fix the issue.

models/players/jacensolo/head
{
    cull    twosided
    {
        map models/players/jacensolo/head
        alphaFunc GE192
        depthWrite
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
}

models/players/jacensolo/hair
{
    cull    twosided
    {
        map models/players/jacensolo/hair
        alphaFunc GE192
        depthWrite
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
}

Aha! Excellent.

I actually found out this was conflicting with your original Jacen Solo of all things, which also had the filename of jacensolo.shader

Thank you for the help. Are unique shader files mandatory for most models? I can just about get my head around kitbashing two models together, but that Shader coding might as well be magic to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 6:53 PM, Razuun said:

Thank you for the help. Are unique shader files mandatory for most models? I can just about get my head around kitbashing two models together, but that Shader coding might as well be magic to me.

Unique *.shader files are not necessary, though most textures will just look better if you know your way around that.

What's really necessary though, is unique names for your stuff. If you don't name your stuff separately, you're going to fall into lots of trouble. Just, when you're done assembling, change "jacen_solo" within models/players/ into "jacen_solo2", then open all the model_*.skin files and do mass change (Ctrl+H, mass replace) for jacen_solo->jacen_solo2, then repeat the same action with any .shader file. Remember to also change the *.shader's file name, so you don't have two jacen_solo.shader files.