New and help please

Hello glad to of found a community for jk very interesting game on the idtech3 engine. I have been designing levels on valve's gold src engine for a while and under that engine i'd just build a lights.rad file to get particular textures to emit light. However in quake3, and jk i am having a serious problem with the shader thing i looked at both q3 and pretty sure i found the particular textures that should emit light and created my own custom shader file and did the shaderlist.txt and they simply are not emitting light i've tried running the q3map2 through the J.A.C.K. editor and the Quark quake army knife editor and the particular textures seem to only light up instead of emitting light into the world. what am i doing wrong please help?

Gonna go ahead and move this to Modding Assistance so you get more relevant eyes on it.

Textures aren't what emit light in q3, the shaders do. So I think you may have done it backwards, unless you typed it backwards. The shader file should point to the texture you want lit up, but have the light elements. I can't look at what those would be right now, but if you look at one you know should be lit up from the vanilla assets, you should be able to just copy what is there.

Someone with more knowledge at their fingertips can be much more help.

hey thank you @Circa. I was doing some experiments just now and i read someones post over at  https://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52986

I seen that the actor used this program called NetRadiant and worked, so i built a test level in J.A.C.K. and NetRadiant crashes when opening so i tried to export it into the QuArk and saved it as a .map and opened it into the NetRadiant and it worked! the textures are emitting light only when compiled through that NetRadiant like wtf!? however i keep falling through the level like wtf!? is there a command line switch that im missing? or is there a special q3map2 i need? i would really love to bring my levels over to this JK and q3 aswell.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:55 AM, 8chaos said:

hey thank you @Circa. I was doing some experiments just now and i read someones post over at  https://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52986

I seen that the actor used this program called NetRadiant and worked, so i built a test level in J.A.C.K. and NetRadiant crashes when opening so i tried to export it into the QuArk and saved it as a .map and opened it into the NetRadiant and it worked! the textures are emitting light only when compiled through that NetRadiant like wtf!? however i keep falling through the level like wtf!? is there a command line switch that im missing? or is there a special q3map2 i need? i would really love to bring my levels over to this JK and q3 aswell.

@mjt might know more

Sampleshaderfile coming up...

textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername
{
    //q3map_normalimage textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername_norm
    q3map_lightimage textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername_lightimage
    qer_editorimage textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername_colormap
    q3map_backSplash 0.25 0.125
    q3map_surfacelight 250
    q3map_lightsubdivide 0.125
    q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 4 8
    {
        map $lightmap
        rgbGen identity
    }
    {
        textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername_colormap
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
        rgbGen identity
    }
    {
        textures/yourfolder/yourtexturesshadername_glow
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        glow
        rgbGen identity
    }
}

Check this path if you have NetRadiant Custom set up:

netradiant-custom-win64/netradiant-custom-20200320/docs/shaderManual/contents.html

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone thank you so much. i've made some progress just having problems with the light emitting textures still being light mapped on some surfaces and not on others and i noticed the glow command in the shader is returning a error called "unexpected stage command : glow" now i am using the q3map2 from quake3 with the switch "-game ja".

here is a video of the level on Jedi Academy with the problem it doesn't look to bad but also i noticed other weird things like the water is being treated as a solid in JA but over on quake3 it works fine. in quake3 though the glass planes on the steps disappear and no transparency effects whatsoever in JA lol

video

scp_chaos1 likes this

Okay now it is all fixed lol. I discovered this few lines of code for the shader that did the trick for the lights. I have no clue why it works but it does lol

(REST of the CODE)

new stuff

{
map textures/folder0001/texture0001
alphaFunc GE128
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
depthWrite
}

here is what its looking like now.