GTKRadiant Broke! Need Help

OCD2

Hello,

Ive been mapping with gtkradiant for a few months now.    

Last night, it decided that it was not closed properly, and said all preferences have been erased...

I managed to re-set up the editor as it was previously,  though now I cannot compile a BSP?

It gives an error message stating "Failed to execute the following command :  C:/program files/gtkradiant/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2 - v  connect 127.0.0. 1:39000    - game ja -fs_basepath "c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/jediacademy/gamedata/" - meta "c:/program files (x86) etc etc.     check that the file exists and that you dont run out of resources.

Im trying to determine the issues,  first thing that comes to mind is some sort of folder/pathing issue.   I do not remember the BSP options starting with so many q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2 ......

Or perhaps GTK radiant became corrupt?

Partially -solved,  I had to re-update the q3map2 compiler.      Still not working,  I was able to compile, though the map is corrupted.

37 minutes ago, AshuraDX said:

Hey, how/in what way is the map corrupted?

Just the bsp output after compiling or the .map you edit in Radiant?

The BSP output becomes as a massive leaking hall of mirrors mess.     

I tried editing the path by removing excessive q3map2/ directories, and made the bsp command work, but the result is a "broken" map in the bsp.

In the editor,  the map file is fully intact.

In frustration, I tried reinstalling GTK to see if it would reset the stock -bsp parameters, but it remained the same.

The photo shows how the BSP menu displays.

The top two options were the two that I removed the excessive directories from and had made to work - though the bsp outlet is corrupted.

GSeLnAi.jpg

Man, you and Radiant just don't get along, huh? :lol:

You are correct about the paths being wrong. Fixing them is a royal pain within Radiant, since the interface was not really meant to edit them. My suggestion would be not to fix it from within Radiant, but rather to fix the project file externally in a text editor. Here's how to do it for Radiant 1.6.6 (Not sure about other versions, but it should be similar in each):

1. Open local.pref ( On Windows, I believe it is found in <Radiant install folder>/ja.game/, and on Linux it should be in  /home/<user>/.radiant/<version number>/ja.game/ )
  2. Find the line that says "<epair name="LastProject"> (Should be near the top), then find and open the file that it refers to. It should be something like user1.proj.
  3. Inside that file will be all of your BSP menu entries. Be careful not to screw up the syntax, here - just change the paths to match the location of q3map2.
  4. Restart Radiant and try compiling again.
OCD2 likes this
16 hours ago, NAB622 said:

You are correct about the paths being wrong. Fixing them is a royal pain within Radiant, since the interface was not really meant to edit them. My suggestion would be not to fix it from within Radiant, but rather to fix the project file externally in a text editor. Here's how to do it for Radiant 1.6.6 (Not sure about other versions, but it should be similar in each):

1. Open local.pref ( On Windows, I believe it is found in <Radiant install folder>/ja.game/, and on Linux it should be in  /home/<user>/.radiant/<version number>/ja.game/ )
  2. Find the line that says "<epair name="LastProject"> (Should be near the top), then find and open the file that it refers to. It should be something like user1.proj.
  3. Inside that file will be all of your BSP menu entries. Be careful not to screw up the syntax, here - just change the paths to match the location of q3map2.

The best part was that this happened for no particular reason lol.

I found the local.pref file,  and the user proj it referenced.    Im in the file, and looking at the BSP lines.

In the directory it shows now,   the huge string of directory errors ends in this at some points:   q3map2/q3map2&quot; -v

Is the     &quot;      part of the syntax you recommended to be cautious about, or is that an error?

The two bsp options I edited in Radiant are possibly damaged from my editing -  is there a way to reset this file other than manually replacing the pathways?    Im looking at all the scripting syntax and im almost certain I would botch it further.

EDIT BELOW:

16 hours ago, NAB622 said:

Thank you,  I was able to restore one of the BSP options with your assistance.

I was on the right track when I was self problem solving by editing the directory path, but did not realize that it made them so long, and occurree multiple times in each BSP entry.

Each line has several sections with huge strings of q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/q3map2/................................         attached at every point.

Not sure how that happened, but its pretty annoying to remove.    

Thank you for your help, im grateful.

The &quot; is part of the syntax, yes. It'll be turned into an apostrophe in Radiant. It is used to keep a path in quotes so spaces don't break it apart.

Once you have one of the BSP options fixed, it should be pretty simple to fix the rest since you can just copy and paste the path around. Good luck!

OCD2 likes this
5 hours ago, AshuraDX said:

@fullkevlar use find and replace:

Search for:

/q3map2/q3map2/

Replace with

/q3map2/

Repeat until it finds no more occurances

Thanks you, I did something like that to clear our the extra entries and then repopulate with the correct path.

There were huge strings of that directory  error - maybe about 100 each at every point where there should have been one.

I'm still boggled why it occured, but thankful you guys were here to help solve the problem.

Still having issues with compiling....

It reverted back to outputting a corrupted hall of mirrors BSP.         

I cannot figure out what's going wrong - I retried what you previously suggested @NAB622,  and its not providing me with an epair entry in the local pref file anymore to try and fix the problem.

Also, as an additional note:  q3map2 seems to not be accepting the bounce 8 command.   While the compiling was remedied short term after your previous help, it was not running bounce 8 and propagating the lighting as it was previously - and today it is producing the same bad BSP output.

Okay, 

I found a solution to reset the stock BSP menu.

I went into edit>preferences and click the "clean" button,   then reset all of my gtk mapping preferences and now the BSP menu is reset and back to functional.

21 minutes ago, NAB622 said:

Ah, I didn't know that also cleared out the BSP menu. Thanks.

I noticed It added an additional "clean" user.proj file.  

I was able to successfully use the existing compile options, and start adding more parameters, and it's remained stable so far.

Sorry everyone, but yet again, having problems with GTKRadiant.

Every day I have a few hours to work on my map, something seems to break!   

This is the third or forth time in a row that my available time is being spent trying to troubleshoot just getting the editor to work!    It's very deflating.   About 15 hours that could have been put into this map,  spent in high frustration - if this keeps up, I'm not sure ill make it in time for contest submission.

I opened my map file today, and my textures/brushes/entities are not showing up skinned - everything is white in the 3d view window.

Also, if I try to view any textures with the texture menu, they present as blank white squares in the selector....

I tried all of the texture menu > render quality options - wireframe works, and flatshade shows a few of the colors to the textures but incomplete.    I tried flush and reload shaders.  

What did I do / what happened?

Ke1Myif.jpg

2TqafAt.png

This is what it shows with flat shade selected in the texture render quality menu, so the textures are still intact somewhere.

s2qWwIt.png

After much 

0eb717c2342da2c32a603e4cc80972d797165c5e

I was able to restore the textures being displayed by going through the load texture directory menu,  and reselecting the directory for loading textures ....    after manually reselected the location that was already displaying just to double check,  it restored the texture images in the editor........    

I looked at it as one of the first steps to troubleshoot, but since it displayed the correct path, I figured it was not the problem.    Lol.

So three more hours wasted on trouble shooting editor issues (gtkradiant 1.4).    I've been advised to use a different editor, which seems like very sound and sanity saving advice at this point.