Change save location + adding portability

kiririnshi01

as the title says my problem is quite simple i want to use OpenJK as the regular jedi academy problem is no matter what i try it keeps making folders on my documents which i don't want for security reasons and the fact that i don't use it and don't want that folder to be used simple as that,normally most of the games have a solution creating a txt renaming it portable.ini and that's it.

How do i change it?

I want to keep the save separated in the respective game folder under base as any quake derivative.

@Lancelot sadly not a coder i wanted to have OpenJk as a simple USB portable game ,well is not like you can't use jedi academy as portable on USB drive problem is in win10 you need to add to DEP exceptions well i wanted to avoid that and using some of the best player models made that work only on OpenJK (sadly nobody made an asi limit adjuster for Jedi Academy) i just hope they change that and return to portability in the next update of OpenJK (waiting for this for years main reason i still don't change)

• Lancelot changed the title to Change save location + adding portability
44 minutes ago, kiririnshi01 said:

@Lancelot sadly not a coder i wanted to have OpenJk as a simple USB portable game ,well is not like you can't use jedi academy as portable on USB drive problem is in win10 you need to add to DEP exceptions well i wanted to avoid that and using some of the best player models made that work only on OpenJK (sadly nobody made an asi limit adjuster for Jedi Academy) i just hope they change that and return to portability in the next update of OpenJK (waiting for this for years main reason i still don't change)

I don't know how this could be achieved. And if something like that was possible on OpenJK at one point, there must have been a reason why they removed it.

55 minutes ago, Circa said:

You can change the location of all of that via launch options for the exe:

+set fs_homepath "."

That should set it to whatever directory the exe is in, I believe.

That kinda made the trick but you require to make batch to launch the SP and MP and again win10 sucks using batch (linux have the same problem won't run batch and saves aren't so easy to access there) main reason i asked how to change the save location either within ingame tools editing a cfg or adding some command to autoexec

@Lancelot the only reason i think they removed that was to sanitize modding and forcing everyone to be aware it was Open JK in the first place and second to avoid self contained games made using Jedi Academy assets (we know there have been a lot of ioquake 3 games and most of them are self contained and don't need the base game) since most modders could just launch the game without requiring the base but saving make checks on the files in usage so changing the location is a good way to avoid those.

think about movie battles but not needing the base game files it will work the same but if saves are in the game folder nobody will know is OpenJK and several people will start to think the mod was made from scratch

2 hours ago, Circa said:

Can't you just add that launch option to the exe shortcut itself? Right click the shortcut, Properties, in the Target box, add it to the end. Like this:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Is a portable setup normally to be used on several PC either windows or linux the shortcut can be done but only if is on a fixed location which again is against the purpose of portability,changing the USB stick to a different USB port will remove the added info and can't be done on linux.

After searching for a while i found this launcher that makes the deal

https://www118.zippyshare.com/v/TBKRcaqD/file.html

whoever made it i don't care but it should have been posted here,is quite simple just put it where you have the openjk exes and use the launchers to run the game everything will be saved on the game folder