Using an ASE file as a door?

Good evening fine folks,
I was working on a map earlier and I'm running into a small problem./
When making a FUNC_DOOR there is a target path for a model to be displayed.
I have currently set my door brush, and my model path to the door half I want to use, however when I test in game the brush is completely invisible.
To verify it actually exists, I set it to player activate, and the activation prompt appears, and the sound plays, but again, no model.
Is there a special way to do this?

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

I believe you are referring to the model2 key? Unfortunately, I do not believe ASE models are supported in this way. There is a workaround, though.

ASE models can only be used with a misc_model entity (Not sure about misc_model_static). Since misc_model cannot move and is nonsolid, you need to make the door contain the physics_clip for the model. Then, target the misc_model at the func_door. Any movement of the door should be copied onto the model, making them move as one.

It takes up an extra entity, but it should give you the result you're looking for!

7 hours ago, NAB622 said:

ASE models can only be used with a misc_model entity (Not sure about misc_model_static).

misc_model_static doesn't support ASE. Basically anything where the model is loaded by the game only supports MD3 (e.g. misc_model_static, misc_model_breakable, anything using the model2 property), but since misc_model gets embedded into the BSP by Q3Map2, it supports additional file types. (Fun fact: this means you don't need to ship the model with your map!)

Plague-Angel likes this
On 12/3/2020 at 3:13 AM, mrwonko said:

misc_model_static doesn't support ASE. Basically anything where the model is loaded by the game only supports MD3 (e.g. misc_model_static, misc_model_breakable, anything using the model2 property), but since misc_model gets embedded into the BSP by Q3Map2, it supports additional file types. (Fun fact: this means you don't need to ship the model with your map!)

Interesting facts there. Since I'm making my doors in radiant and exporting as ASE.

So by using an ASE it's basically as if I'd made the door from brushes in general. Nifty.

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

Not sure if this will work in other versions of Radiant (I'm using 1.6.6)...

Make a basic func_door out of nodraw_solid just to fill the hole you want to close, deselect the door then bring your model in via misc_model, deselect that then select it again , select the nodraw door again and press CTRL K. You should get a blue line linking them and it's done ?

Edit-

Didn't realise nab had already told you how to do it sorry.

I will say that sometimes I've come up with an error when doing this but manage to clear it by ungrouping and re targeting the model at the door.

You can also use the same method for func_trains as well though you will need a invisible brush as well as the origin one