Texturing questions

OCD2

Hello,

I'm attempting some custom textures.   

What I would like to achieve is to have the pixels of my "drawn" pipe texture on a wall line up with a pipe that is made of actual brushwork,   so they look contiguous.

How do you line up textures to meet with structural brushes?    Is there a pixel/gtkradiant block ratio that you can use to help align your textures to brush made structures?  

Jy8KWOO.png

I think the best you can do in Radiant is to use the natural setting on your patch, and then align the textures on the brushwork to match. You might have some luck aligning the textures with ctrl/shift/alt + arrow keys, but that's about the best I can think of.

Alternatively, you could manually do the math for the texture coordinates to the S & T coordinates and plug then into the patch inspector manually, but that's a lot of work.

I did add something to address this in my Radiant fork, but as you know, it's far from done.

Edit: Wait.....I'm not sure where I got the idea you were using a patch. Are you saying you just want the textures on the brushwork to the left and right of the pipe to align? If so, ctrl+shift+left click the texture you want to use in the 3D window, then ctrl+shift+middle click the surface to apply it to. It will copy over the texture and it's coordinates.

OCD2 likes this
2 hours ago, NAB622 said:

I think the best you can do in Radiant is to use the natural setting on your patch, and then align the textures on the brushwork to match. You might have some luck aligning the textures with ctrl/shift/alt + arrow keys, but that's about the best I can think of.

Alternatively, you could manually do the math for the texture coordinates to the S & T coordinates and plug then into the patch inspector manually, but that's a lot of work.

What is S & T?     I wouldnt mind trying the math/long way, at least once.  I just do not know the equation (s).

I had no luck finding any texturing guides.  

2 hours ago, NAB622 said:

Edited my post, sorry, I think I was confused what you were doing. Hopefully I understand it now.

My quick typing and use of incorrect terminology is likely confusing you lol.

I attached a photo that might help explain what im attempting to do with the texture.

Blue Area:  In the map im creating, I have brushwork columns that I would like to keep as they are structurally. 

Yellow Area:  On walls that meet up to those columns, currently I have placed long brushes to "connect" to the segmented column.   I was hoping to eliminate those long grey brushes currently in place, and make a simple texture that has two drawn lines to simulate the indentes brushes.   I thought it would help optimize the geometry.

Green Area:  Where I would like to have a texture that meets up with the lines of the brushwork , hopefully giving the effect of being seamless, but less work for the game engine.

DNMScBl.jpg

It may be a little bit harder than it looks, but not at the corner you're pointing to. That corner should align perfectly. The angled faces on the inside of the pillars will likely be the issue.

Simply copying the texture coordinates (Middle click to choose a texture and coordinates, and ctrl+shift+middle click to apply) should do the trick everywhere else. If it doesn't work on the angled faces, try reducing the angle slightly, and it might align.....otherwise you might need to use patch meshes there, although that wouldn't be too difficult to do either.

• 1 month later...

i need HELP ,  i installed GTKradiant 1.5 took all the textures from assets0.pk3 ,how now when i open GTKradiant and press the T button the appearance in the menu, when it opens an empty texture field,  please for any help I have already lost patience ,I used to have everything installed but I forgot the procedure

Link for image