Work in progress: New Republic Prison Ship from The Mandalorian

Small updates as time allows:

DsOfNbS.pngCAToDTH.pngc58POjX.png

Updated his antennae, refined the turret, refined his chest plate and runners, added the repulsor back piece, added the start of his "hook box",  added some place holder wiring harness and refined some of the overall shapes and placement from reference images.

Everything will be refined of course, this is just a teaser of progress.

ZanderNao, z3filus, ZelZel and 3 others like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally, after a year of rebuilding everything an untold number of times, im approaching a point where the world size/shape and look are converging to a place that feels close to the source as well as having decent amount of room to maneuver.     

(Special thanks to MJT for helping me build a cell door that looks really nice and allowing me to pester him with questions!)

Wp39LFP.jpg

L1NaihV.jpg

Baafwxk.jpg

L0iWaLC.jpg

Nothing is finalized: still need to go over/re-do the textures,  add shaders,  and also work on lighting.      Though Im really happy with the overall look that is emerging.

Lazarus, Cor, Lancelot and 4 others like this
13 hours ago, BlindDaThief said:

Looks fantastic!

Thank you.   

I'm hoping for it to look really clean when the textures are upgraded - the lines on the door are really nice.

I've been burning everyone's eyeballs out with those flat Microsoft Paint textures for too long!

it's been a fun project, and Ive been learning as much as I can as time allows.    Hopefully much more to show soon.

BlindDaThief likes this

More fiddling around with this guy for a bit today:

rWi3ALt.png

Added more aspects of the wiring harness and extra greebles placed, after looking over some more source photos.  Also repositioned and resized some existing aspects.

He really should not take too long after getting all the pieces in place.

DarthValeria likes this
20 minutes ago, fullkevlar said:

More fiddling around with this guy for a bit today:

rWi3ALt.png

Added more aspects of the wiring harness and extra greebles placed, after looking over some more source photos.  Also repositioned and resized some existing aspects.

He really should not take too long after getting all the pieces in place.

Are you gonna make a playable version of this guy?

DarthValeria likes this
10 minutes ago, BlindDaThief said:

Are you gonna make a playable version of this guy?

Yes, that's the next big step.     

It will be my first rigged character!   (its a vehicle technically)

Im planning to make the mouse droid that was in the show also - and potentially model the other characters of the episode as well.  Though that is a lot of work!     

So my project priority list:

Finish out the map build - its geometry is about 95% complete.

Redo the intro cinematic.   

Subsequently retexture everything!! 

Finish modeling and rig the R1 droid.

Ideally release both the map and the droid at the same time.   Though if the map is "ready", and the droid is taking too long, release the map and then separately release the droid model.

Then it would probably be the mouse droid model, followed by the other droid, or make the backpack with the deployable gun/model this character.  Mayfeld_Star_Wars.jpg

db1cf0fe-daf6-4d1b-b7c0-89d6ef4fa127.jpg

After that, im not sure ill continue im probably ready to move focus forward on other map projects I have begun at that point.  

BlindDaThief, DarthValeria and Cor like this
  • 4 weeks later...

Still plugging away at this project!

The current focus:

Some geometry changes have been made.     Most significantly, the over-all size of the map height and width further increased,  after testing and finding that it needed more space to accommodate vehicles (the R1 security droid), jedi play and easier entry and egress through the cell doors.         

Remade the ladder entryway, and a Razor Crest interior that features all of the expected aspects : the bunk room, vactube station, ladder to cockpit, carbonite chamber, side door, rear hatch, and the docking access point.     

Lots of time spent with Blender, learning how to make and import models.     Lots of fun, and lots of work!

I do not want to extend the working time on the map indefinitely!    Though as I continue to learn, I find ways to improve the quality of the level and want its first widespread playtest/release to be up to a higher standard.  (Or more specifically, makes me feel satisfied that it was a quality endeavor) 

I have the editor is open today, and ill be putting in some good time, trying to get this project closer to release!

• 1 month later...

Lunchtime baby steps on the transport ship model:

9Hcc77n.png

v7wLgZZ.png

JIIu7em.png

zvk6mZV.png

Lots of progress on the map also, though will save that for closer to the release.     

Still working on some layout flow, and structures for rooms that were never shown in the show.   The extra rooms had to be imagined, designed and creatively built to fit cohesively within the rest of the map.       

Looking forward to sharing!

• 1 month later...

Refining/Expanding some greebles in spare time today.

pJCB2PZ.png

BYAZzSR.png

SNKep2Y.png

Left side wiring harness needs a lot of work, and the repulsor bottom needs a redo/refine - coming soon! 

ecuSs7i.png

eiOVkT8.png

And last adjustment for the day, a little bit of detail to the iris, and some minor resizing of various pieces.

Rk0x7Jv.png

yYomvee.png

5CyOBNi.png

DarthValeria and Coolin like this
7 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Still i think you may need to phong shade your hallways 😛 to clean out the rough edges, make them a bit more smooth (shade angle 60 or maybe 75 or so).

The models look awesome, good work!

The map does need some more work, im still plugging away -    appreciate the  reminder me about the phong shader!

Thank you for the compliment on the model.   Its still in progress, with the wiring harness being the area that needs the most attention.    Ive been dedicating my time to learning better topology practices and have been upgrading the droid and the Prison ship as I level up my skills.     

Im hoping to make the prison transport a pilotable ship too, as an extra bonus.   

All in good time!    

DarthValeria likes this
  • 1 month later...

lY4bm6i.png

When your "easy" project becomes a full capital ship!

Everything that you see in the show as source material is included - the docked RC ship, the laddered entryway, the hallway structure, the accessible cell interiors and the control room.   

And then to add more variety, I built several other unique points of interest to build out more of the ship as playable space.

I built an engineering bay, an engineering crawlspace that was inspired by the concept art for the episode (that leads to the control room),  several ladderways to access the crawlspace,  access to the sensor area in the crawlspace,  access to the forward and rear center turret bays in the crawlspace,  a central maintenance bay(also inspired by concept art),   a prisoner contraband/evidence storage room, and droid bivouac stations.

I also made each of the three main-hall "subsections" distinct.      Each team will experience the map a little differently, hopefully that asymmetry makes if more fun.     If not, I have designs on extending the map forward to lead into a ships bridge (which I could use to symmetrize the whole map further) !!!  

Everything was built as if you could take the map outline, and impose it over a picture of the ship to a nice clean fit.

My plan to push and motivate myself to get the map to a 1.0 version, is "finishing" the map to submit to the Underworld contest -  the ship is a perfect home for members of the underworld!   

DarthValeria, ZelZel, mjt and 1 other like this
On 3/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, fullkevlar said:

lY4bm6i.png

When your "easy" project becomes a full capital ship!

Everything that you see in the show as source material is included - the docked RC ship, the laddered entryway, the hallway structure, the accessible cell interiors and the control room.   

And then to add more variety, I built several other unique points of interest to build out more of the ship as playable space.

I built an engineering bay, an engineering crawlspace that was inspired by the concept art for the episode (that leads to the control room),  several ladderways to access the crawlspace,  access to the sensor area in the crawlspace,  access to the forward and rear center turret bays in the crawlspace,  a central maintenance bay(also inspired by concept art),   a prisoner contraband/evidence storage room, and droid bivouac stations.

I also made each of the three main-hall "subsections" distinct.      Each team will experience the map a little differently, hopefully that asymmetry makes if more fun.     If not, I have designs on extending the map forward to lead into a ships bridge (which I could use to symmetrize the whole map further) !!!  

Everything was built as if you could take the map outline, and impose it over a picture of the ship to a nice clean fit.

My plan to push and motivate myself to get the map to a 1.0 version, is "finishing" the map to submit to the Underworld contest -  the ship is a perfect home for members of the underworld!   

Your map is beautiful like a girl ❤️ 

• 3 months later...